DIS Unplugged Show Feedback and Suggestions

3. I think sending John and Kevin to the parks for a multi-day vacation would be fantastic! Let them plan it months out and report back with their successes and/or failures with FP+, dining reviews, etc
What if John and Kevin don't think this is a fantastic idea?

I don't think you should feel compelled to defend your opinions about anything to anyone else, me included. But do you think that some of the trips and tips you've learned while using FP+ Could be helpful to infrequent guests who visit the parks?

I just wanted to put it out there that I don't just visit the parks but enjoy staying at a WDW resort and visiting as a resort guest. My advise for FP is to take advantage of extra magic hours, ask the family what their favorite rides are in each park and make sure to plan so you can ride them by using Fast Pass. Make sure you understand how fastpasses work (you can get more than 3 but you have to use the 3 first) Try to schedule your fp for earlier in the day so you can get more. Keep checking back if you aren't getting the times or dates that you want. You may snag some at the last minute. Don't try to over schedule your day, allow time for "magic" to happen while you are enjoying yourself in the parks.

??? Wasn't me that said that. I'll go back and see if I can find the person to whom this should be directed.

I think it was the first quote above to which you were referring. I have never, and would never call you disengaged.

Was it that transparent? :teleport:

Again, it wasn't me who suggested that you were a "news person". I believe that you said that you are just a guy with opinions. That is how I have always viewed you. And the podcast is at its very best when you are there to give them. Despite the fact that we have never met, I trust that if we ever did, you would see that you and I are an awful lot alike.

I have attributed quotes to you that were not yours.

This sloppy board etiquette and I apologize.

What if John and Kevin don't think this is a fantastic idea?
Well then they would not do it. I would be interested to hear John and Kevin's experience because they have been taking a break from the parks , it would almost mimic what the person who can only get the wdw every few years would experience. Does that make sense? I am not sure if I am explaining myself properly.

How about doing reviews of the different accessible room types at the Walt Disney World resorts? What about segments about accessibility within the parks? You have great resources right here on the boards such as SueM in MN moderator on your disABILITIES board and DIS member KathyRN that runs Special Mouse. Skip aka Justin Jett would be a great resource for this too. As a person that travels to Walt Disney World exclusively with a power wheelchair user I think it would be informative both to people with and without disabilities.

Last edited:
Just chalk that up to still recovering from two weeks in Hawaii. :beach:
Speaking of Hawaii...Kevin: I am curious if you and John are going to be doing a full recap/review of your recent trip. I was intrigued by your statement that you don't need to go to any island other than Oahu again because it has everything. I had a recent and similar epiphany in relation to the Big Island and would love to hear of your experiences as a means of comparison. One thing is for sure. Either way, you can't go wrong.

I haven't read any of the responses in this thread yet, so I apologize if I duplicate anything.

First of all, I want to say a big Thank You to all the team members for the boards and the podcast. I truly appreciate all of your continued efforts to provide these resources to us for free over several years, in addition to your willingness to welcome feedback and criticism after putting in so much time and energy.

I listen to the podcast daily at work (I key invoices for 40 hours a week, so I have a lot of time to listen) and though I only discovered the show about a month ago, I listened to all the shows back to the middle of 2012, and this week downloaded all the podcasts and have started listening straight through from the beginning of the shows in 2006. I'm currently in the summer of 2007. It's so funny to hear not only how the show has changed itself, but how the topics have (and haven't) changed... Grumbles about wheelchairs and strollers in the parks, Pleasure Island still existing, rumors of the "new Toy Story Mania ride", the abomination that is Downtown Disney parking (alllllll the way back to 2006!). It's been a fun blast from the past.

Though I enjoy all of the iterations of the show I've listened to so far, both past and present, I've heard some things in the older shows that I'd enjoy returning to the newer shows.

1. The Prizematron, and the higher frequency (and uniqueness) of prizes given out. I love that you currently send the gift cards to random poll participants almost weekly, but the Prizematron seemed like a lot of fun, and it seemed like prizes were given out more often and more randomly. In that same breath, things like online scavenger hunts, riddles, etc. seemed like they were a ton of fun for you to do as well as loved by the audience. (That may be a little selfishness on my part - I'm desperately trying to win a gift card before my October trip! Haha)
  2. Couple Things To Do in Disney World (or even a family variation on that, with "not as obvious" things to do)
  3. Send Bob To The Parks - obviously this wouldn't be exactly the same today, but I think it was a great idea, and even today would be incredibly helpful to the audience. Maybe once a month do a show where Kathy and Teresa have gone to check out a few audience suggestions over the past few weeks.
  4. Kevin & John's Dining Reviews! I adore the horrible ones but I love the good ones, too! Maybe not necessarily every episode, but I would love to see those come back more often.
  5. A "How Did We All Get Here" podcast... I think the most recent one was 2010. I listened to that for the first time this week and I absolutely loved hearing how the original group came to be. I'd love to hear how the new people got there, too.
  6. The email segments are great! Maybe once or twice a month, the 2nd hour could be just an email/Facebook/boards hour?
I do agree with some comments in the other thread that in the past it seemed a little looser and a little less scripted. I've legitimately laughed out loud several times listening to the older episodes, and don't do that with the newer episodes. I think some of that may just be personalities (Bob, and everyone interacting with him, was absolutely hilarious). I also don't think "scripted" HAS TO equal "stiff". I think you can have one without the other. But, I don't dislike the newer episodes by any means. In fact, the only thing I would really change is strictly personal content preference - I don't have any interest in Disney Cruise Line whatsoever, so I don't really care to hear about it - it just doesn't mean anything to me. Since I binge-listen, I feel like I hear about DCL more than anything else (and to some degree ABD). I think I would put those on their own show, or on The Trip possibly. But either way, it certainly won't stop me from listening.

I LOVE hearing about Orlando area news, especially news within Disney. I live in Memphis, TN, so you only hear Disney in the news here if it's something bad. Definitely never about the corporate shake ups or anything like that, so that's a big treat for me personally. Thank you for bringing things like that to me!

I don't get as excited about the 2nd hour of the newer podcasts as I do about the first. I unfortunately can't pinpoint exactly why that is, which, I know, isn't helpful. And that isn't always the case. I think some of those episodes just feel like they're done because you have to do a 2nd episode (a filler almost)? Specific example - I stopped listening halfway through the Dream Hotel and Dream Park episodes because they just didn't seem like YOU were even interested in the topics, but instead you just needed a theme for that episode and just picked something and tried to run with it.

Obviously all of that is JUST my opinion, and I honestly love the show, so whether you make any changes or not, I'll still tune in every week. Thank you all for everything you do!!

Last edited:
I am newer to the podcast (last 2 years or so), but look forward to listening each week.

I agree with a lot of the suggestions I've read here.

A "meet the podcast team" episode would be great. Like I said, I'm newer to the show and have pieced together what I know about the team members Disney history. Knowing how they came to be on the show helps the listener understand their opinions, and makes them even more relatable.

Dining reviews from Kevin are amongst my favorite segments. I've searched the archives to listen to all of them that I can find! More please!

I adore the ABD, DCL, and Aulani segments. I feel like I know WDW fairly well, and love hearing about these other segments of the Disney company that I hope to experience someday. Along those lines I'd love a few episodes about visits to Hilton Head and Vero.

I'd like to hear more about some of the off the beaten path experiences at WDW- the pirate cruise, an illuminations cruise, tea at the Grand, water craft rental, water parks, or golf. And besides the parties things like candle light processional and some of the F&W demonstrations would be interesting.

I'm also fascinated by the behind the scenes stuff at Disney. I'd love to hear about "a day in the life" of a cast member.

I'm really enjoying the addition of Ryno (and as a Chicago Cubs fan I love his nickname), and I think Jennilynn is very professional and well informed. It could just be me, but sometimes JL does come off a bit dismissive of the other ladies which can be off putting. I'm sure that they get along well IRL, but on the show it comes off that way at times.

Keep up the great work!

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with some of the posters above that the second episode each week has gotten worse and worse. Honestly, it feels like you are out of things to talk about and you are just grasping at straws to try to find something to talk about for an hour. You can see it in your faces and hear it in your voices.

Speaking of Hawaii...Kevin: I am curious if you and John are going to be doing a full recap/review of your recent trip. I was intrigued by your statement that you don't need to go to any island other than Oahu again because it has everything. I had a recent and similar epiphany in relation to the Big Island and would love to hear of your experiences as a means of comparison. One thing is for sure. Either way, you can't go wrong.

I like the idea of Kevin and John doing a review of sorts of their trip as well, maybe involving Pete and Dustin so they can compare their experiences since they took the same trip a while back. We're considering doing the SOA followed by Aulani for our honeymoon, and I had some great takeaways and ideas from Pete & Dustin's review, and could definitely benefit from Kevin & John's perspectives as well.

I found the DIS by happy accident some time ago when googling for info on Port Orleans in anticipation of an upcoming vacation and stumbled upon Pete's first review of POFQ in that7in7 run. I think that was audio only. That was one interesting review. But I was clueless about the actual DIS boards and the DIS Unplugged until I once again accidently ran across them over a year ago. I have truly enjoyed recent episodes & now look forward to catching up each week. After reading the previous closed thread and this ongoing one, I almost want to reach out and give each member of the DIS team a little pat on the arm to reassure them how much their hard work is truly appreciated. Particularly after what had to be a grueling 7in7 production, it can't be easy to read some of this stuff and not take it personally. I think it would be darn hard not to after putting so much into the show. However, maybe for so many loyal DIS followers, this purge has also been a sentimental walk down memory lane. A case of "I luv, I luv, I luv but . . . I would luv it even more if you would please bring back this, that and the other." Sadly, not everything can stay the same. People change. Their interests change. Times change. And no doubt for some, access to personal and frankly private information has to be curbed. That maybe has to change for simple personal security. There is a healthy limit to how much we should ever know about another. [Interestingly enough, this subject may just be a natural gap between generations. I'm in my 40s and sometimes cringe at how much personal info we know about others now. I suspect for younger generations who have grown up with youtube, twitter and social media, knowing all and displaying all, is just second nature.] However, some incredible anchors from years past do remain. For example, I was very excited to hear that even more 7in7s are planned for later in the year and, considering this is how I first linked into the DIS through that old POFQ review, find this absolutely wonderful news & most gratifying. The DIS team absolutely shines in those 7in7 productions . . . both behind and in front of the camera. It has to be a lot of work. But the end product is fantastic & much appreciated by viewers. I've also noticed that Kathy has penned a number of onsite reviews in both the parks and at the resorts. She has quietly worked away behind the scenes. She physically gets herself out of the studio, gets out and about and delivers consistently great, well written, product. The work she does isn't flashy and doesn't seem to get the kudos it deserves from viewers. I have found her pieces, particularly those re the CBR, very helpful. Thank-you Kathy for your hard work! I too would like to see more of Kevin's dining reviews, but realistically understand these are not likely ever going to be gifted to us as often as they were in the past. However, I have no doubt that other members of the DIS team could and would step into an occasional role of "taster". Off the top of my head, Teresa would be outstanding. So would Craig. So would Teresa AND Craig. That restaurant would never be the same after that review! :-) Please keep up the good work. What is that old saying, "God grant us the serenity . . . " You are all most appreciated!

Kevin and John please do a recap of Hawaii I would be very happy with that indeed. I would like to know your points of view on Royal Carribean and what they offer.

Also this is just minor but Dustin how the Trip has it's own sepearte music cues why not for the Universal Show to give it more of its own identity?

I actually prefer the way the news was covered when John and Kevin were away. It was more of a discussion and added something new to the format. I also love the idea of sending Kathy and Teresa to the parks a la Bob. Great idea!

I would like to know your points of view on Royal Carribean and what they offer.

This is a great idea too. Has a Royal Caribbean segment been done before? The boards has a Royal Caribbean section, and I know Dreams books a lot of RCCI as well. It would be great to learn more about Royal, their ships & itineraries, their drink packages, how they're different from other cruise lines, etc.

This is a great idea too. Has a Royal Caribbean segment been done before? The boards has a Royal Caribbean section, and I know Dreams books a lot of RCCI as well. It would be great to learn more about Royal, their ships & itineraries, their drink packages, how they're different from other cruise lines, etc.

There was a special non-Disney "not-a-podcast cruise" on the Oasis of the Seas a couple of years ago. While on board there was a podcast recording that did a pretty good job of talking about the ship and some pluses and minuses as compared to DCL. There is another not a podcast cruise coming up in June on the Jewel of the Seas and I'm sure there will be a review of that cruise when its complete.

There was a special non-Disney "not-a-podcast cruise" on the Oasis of the Seas a couple of years ago. While on board there was a podcast recording that did a pretty good job of talking about the ship and some pluses and minuses as compared to DCL. There is another not a podcast cruise coming up in June on the Jewel of the Seas and I'm sure there will be a review of that cruise when its complete.

I also think Pete talked quite a bit about his non-Disney Alaska cruise. I have no idea when this was, but I remember that he complained about the kids running all over the ship due to lack of proper kids' programming. Not sure if that was a RCCL cruise though.

Loved the ladies special you did awhile back. Would enjoy seeing more of those.
It had a feel similar to the having ladies over to chat over a cup of tea and visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter