Dis Pet Loss Support Community

Barb- I was thinking some of the same things yesterday. I swept and mopped the laundry room and then washed the sofa cushion covers and swept the kitchen and thought how I was cleaning up the last of her fur...she shed a lot and our cairn doesn't shed much so I suppose that's a positive. He too seems lost and depressed without his buddy and we have a backyard bunny too that they used to chase together...now my cairn goes outside and sits by the door (and is peeing in the house since he won't go outside). And my big girl (she wasn't that big...was a basset or corgi mix) loved my coffee too...I'd sit it at the computer in the morning and if I walked away I'd come back to find her licking out the mug.

My big dog had food bowls that were in a metal stand that held them off the floor...I thought I give them to my cairn to use now as the water bowl is bigger and his bowls were small, plastic and on the ground. Well he didn't want to eat out of them so I gave him his bowls back. Since he only eats a cup of food a day, I may start buying that Blue dog food. I want him to be healthy as possible for as long as possible. After him, we won't get another dog.

Another positive, if you can say that, is that DH took a job in another state (NC, we live in MD) and we bought a condo there for him to stay while working. I will stay with kids in MD until the finish HS (DS- this year and DDs- in 2.5 years) but we will likely visit the condo a lot. It will be easy to take the cairn and walk him...our big girl got car sick so she wouldn't have been able to go and we'd have to kennel them all the time. And when I move down with DH in 2.5 years, the cairn will do well in the condo.

Barb, I hope today is a better day for you!!!

Barb- I was thinking some of the same things yesterday. I swept and mopped the laundry room and then washed the sofa cushion covers and swept the kitchen and thought how I was cleaning up the last of her fur...she shed a lot and our cairn doesn't shed much so I suppose that's a positive. He too seems lost and depressed without his buddy and we have a backyard bunny too that they used to chase together...now my cairn goes outside and sits by the door (and is peeing in the house since he won't go outside). And my big girl (she wasn't that big...was a basset or corgi mix) loved my coffee too...I'd sit it at the computer in the morning and if I walked away I'd come back to find her licking out the mug. My big dog had food bowls that were in a metal stand that held them off the floor...I thought I give them to my cairn to use now as the water bowl is bigger and his bowls were small, plastic and on the ground. Well he didn't want to eat out of them so I gave him his bowls back. Since he only eats a cup of food a day, I may start buying that Blue dog food. I want him to be healthy as possible for as long as possible. After him, we won't get another dog. Another positive, if you can say that, is that DH took a job in another state (NC, we live in MD) and we bought a condo there for him to stay while working. I will stay with kids in MD until the finish HS (DS- this year and DDs- in 2.5 years) but we will likely visit the condo a lot. It will be easy to take the cairn and walk him...our big girl got car sick so she wouldn't have been able to go and we'd have to kennel them all the time. And when I move down with DH in 2.5 years, the cairn will do well in the condo. Barb, I hope today is a better day for you!!!

It sounds like we are going through a lot of the same processes. I also bought my little guy special food just for him. My GSD was on very expensive senior dog food and that's what fed them both (he's only a year younger than her) because she would totally have eaten his food if he had something different. He never did like it much. He stopped eating when she didn't come home so now he has expensive senior little dog food. And, since he still wouldn't eat, he gets some wet food mixed in. He WILL eat that.

We also never took a vacation because of her. She was so old that we knew a kennel would be too stressful. And we liked our family and friends too much to subject them to dog sitting (she was quite a handful). So DH suggested we go somewhere where we could take our little guy with us. I think that's a great idea.

Hugs to all who have gone through this. I feel like the veil of misery may lift soon .. I am no longer expecting her to be just around the corner. So that's something.

It's funny you guys should talk about the food issue; I'm going through the same thing. Our little guy eats next to nothing, it seems, in comparison to our big girl. When she was still here, they would "swap meals", ie eat out of eachother's bowls. It got a bit complex trying to feed them because she was eating one thing, but liked his food, and we were trying to find the right food for him, yet mix it in with food that he'd been weaned onto, etc. We kept their bowls separate, on opposite sides of the kitchen, yet we'd find her at his bowls, and him at hers, etc. Yikes. Plus, my girl ate twice a day, like clockwork, and never missed a meal, no matter what. He seems to want to eat mainly in the evening.

We decided to let him keep her bowls, in her spot. It's where he wanted to be. And after all, she'd inherited them from our previous dogs, too. (We have the basic stainless steel bowls that we've had for well over 25 years now, so it seemed fitting,, even though they're technically too big, lol.) We've settled on a good food that he likes, and I even swapped out the huge dog food bin we had for a smaller one, which gave me some extra space in our storage room, which, again, like you guys say, is bittersweet. (I found myself thinking this morning that if we get another GSD someday, I can easily get a larger bin again! :idea: )

Another thing my little guy has taken to doing is laying where my girl laid at night - right next to my side of the bed, on the floor. I'd bought him a new bed that he really wasn't using in the living room, and put it down there, since he was laying on just the rug, and he's been happy on it the last few nights. I sort of think he learned that from her - there was no way he was getting that spot when she was here. :laughing:

image-23.jpg

(ETA I know he misses his big friend! :sad1: When he sees a GSD he gets all excited.)

He and my DH, especially, are forming quite the nice relationship. (Even though just the mention of our girl gets him teary.) They are buddies. He watches DH like a hawk because he knows he goes outside a lot to work in the yard, or his workshop, etc. Yet when I'm getting ready for work, he's taken to laying on the bathroom floor during my shower and such, as he knows I'll be leaving soon. Those are things that she did that I'm not sure whether he learned from her, or he'd do it anyway, but I like that type of continuity. (And speaking of ovens, he has a habit of laying in front of ours while we're cooking, and that we're working on changing as we're constantly tripping over him and we don't want him to get burned, etc.) Dogs are so funny in their habits, aren't they?

I found myself looking at GSD rescues yesterday. I just keep thinking I wish I could have my girl back. :sad: It took us so many years to forge that relationship that we had. I look forward to doing it with another GSD someday, but I'm also intimidated with knowing how much work it takes, and wondering what kind of difficulties I'll encounter (as there always are some, even if they differ with every dog). I know I'm not ready right now. I see some of the elderly dogs out there that need care, and my heart screams out that I want to help, but my head says no, I just can't right now, I'm too fried from caregiving. (The story of my life.) I just need to enjoy our little guy's youth and the relative freedom that comes with having a dog like him for a while. We'll take it month by month.

My doggies...a few years ago (maybe 2009 or 2010): Phoebe (after Friends show) and Woody (after Woody Hayes...or Toy Story)
249179_10200632671810671_984066534_n.jpg

My girl about a week after diagnosis
10505319_10203529949800810_5580455881271193447_n.jpg

Pea- so sorry for the loss of your pretty girl...she was beautiful. Is your other dog a cairn too? Looks like it. Tough little buggers, aren't they????

Barb and others are on my mind tonight too. lovin'fl I read what you experienced but didn't respond. I could not find the words. Honestly I still can't, just wanted to send a BIG hug to you also.

I hope this poster stays in touch with us:

I am still here- have been reading and it really helps to know that you are not alone in this. Nothing has changed with Chester and no decisions have been made as of yet. I am taking him in this week to have his liver values checked again so that will tell me a lot. In the meantime, he is being spoiled rotten. I went to Target the other day and bought puperoni for him, which he has never had in his life. We never feed our dogs any treats like that, only milk bones. I gave it to him and he looked at me all big eyed and shocked as if to say, "what is this GLORIOUS thing you just put in my mouth?"! I have been letting him lick my ice cream bowl clean when I am done with it.....all sorts of treats he is getting and he loves it.

I am still here- have been reading and it really helps to know that you are not alone in this. Nothing has changed with Chester and no decisions have been made as of yet. I am taking him in this week to have his liver values checked again so that will tell me a lot. In the meantime, he is being spoiled rotten. I went to Target the other day and bought puperoni for him, which he has never had in his life. We never feed our dogs any treats like that, only milk bones. I gave it to him and he looked at me all big eyed and shocked as if to say, "what is this GLORIOUS thing you just put in my mouth?"! I have been letting him lick my ice cream bowl clean when I am done with it.....all sorts of treats he is getting and he loves it.

I'm so glad you are staying with us. You have been in my prayers I can promise you that :goodvibes Yeah Chester Yummy huh ? :rotfl2:

My doggies...a few years ago (maybe 2009 or 2010): Phoebe (after Friends show) and Woody (after Woody Hayes...or Toy Story)
249179_10200632671810671_984066534_n.jpg

My girl about a week after diagnosis
10505319_10203529949800810_5580455881271193447_n.jpg
So adorable. :(

Thank you and yes, my little guy is a Cairn. I agree, they are characters!

I lost my chocolate Lab Snickers on 8-20-2014. I didn't even have time to get him to the vet. He was fine one day. Then he just went the next day with no warning with all of us petting him. It was peaceful for him no pain whatsoever. I found out that at the exact hour he passed a cloud that looked like a lab running was spotted in NYC. I know he is happy but I am so sad so is my 5 year old. Snickers sniffed her when she was a baby and accepted her. He put up with her toddler ways. I miss my snickiepoo so much

I lost my chocolate Lab Snickers on 8-20-2014. I didn't even have time to get him to the vet. He was fine one day. Then he just went the next day with no warning with all of us petting him. It was peaceful for him no pain whatsoever. I found out that at the exact hour he passed a cloud that looked like a lab running was spotted in NYC. I know he is happy but I am so sad so is my 5 year old. Snickers sniffed her when she was a baby and accepted her. He put up with her toddler ways. I miss my snickiepoo so much
I actually saw that cloud on the news and showed it to my kids. I wish I could find it again now. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, though. How old was he? It's essentially how my dog went, as well. So unusual.

So sorry starwatcher:hug:. That's got to be tough to lose a pet with no warning. My heart goes out to you guys that had that happen!

snickers was about 14 years old. we took real good care of him. I just saw a cloud that looked like him on his back wanting a tummy rub

It's been just over 4 months since I lost my best friend, my beautiful German Shepherd. I have missed her every day. I've been to The Humane Society so many times that most of the dogs there know me and greet me like a friend. I knew that I needed to open my home to another dog that needed a family, but I just found myself unable to take that step. I loved every dog I saw, so it wasn't that ... but something just told me that it wasn't time yet.

So last night DH and I decided to take my little guy (who misses his sister so much) to meet a few dogs and see if he found anyone acceptable to come home with us. I really wanted to bring one home before the holidays. So we brought in one after another and his responses ranged from disinterested to disdain. Finally, just as we were getting ready to give up, I asked if they could bring in a bonded pair that had been there for awhile. They were always huddled up in the back of the kennel so I never really got to see them, but they were both female and I knew my little guy would probably prefer another female companion.

So, yeah, love at first sight. One was a little Maltese, so scared that she wouldn't come out from under the bench in the "get to know you" room. Her "sister" was a very outgoing little Chihuahua mix that was sooo thrilled to have a visit with someone. It was clear within minutes (and must to my husband's chagrin - he never imagined TWO more dogs) that they were coming home with us. They were an Owner Give Up and I was told the reason was that the landlord wouldn't allow pets.

So we do all the paperwork and the pair comes home. I, of course, immediately post pictures on Facebook of our adorable new family members. Less than 5 minutes later I get a text from one of my employees, saying that he knows these two dogs. In fact, they used to belong to his roommate. Suddenly I get a friend request from his roommate who is messaging me that he is in tears that his beloved babies are safe and with someone who will love them and that they were out of the shelter before Christmas.

He had been paying rent to someone who owned a house and that person never told him that the mortgage hadn't been paid in a very long time and he found himself suddenly evicted. He tried to find a place he could afford with short notice that would take pets and was unsuccessful. My employee was his friend and offered him his second bedroom but the landlord said no pets. No family would take the dogs, no friends, so he finally made the decision to give them to the shelter. Since it's a no-kill shelter, he felt it was the best decision for them (and they have very high adoption rates). But he'd been sick with worry every day since.

So that's the story of how we had a small Christmas miracle. :goodvibes We have 2 wonderful, very polite, very well-trained family members that we already adore and he gets to know that they have a very good home and he will be able to see them again.

I'm not sure what the odds are of all of this happening, but I imagine they are pretty slim. :cloud9:

And why would I post this here on a thread about pet loss? I guess it's really that circle-of-life thing. I would give anything to have my baby back, but since I've wished and prayed and no such thing will happen, the next best thing I can do is to open my heart to new love. These 3 snoozing dogs (1 old friend, 2 new ones) on my lap (yes, all on my lap... that will take some getting used to!) are all very happy and content. It's their turn. It doesn't make my loss any easier, but it does give me a little more joy in each day.

Omg, Barb, what a great story!! It actually just made my night tonight. :goodvibes How fortunate all of you were to find eachother and that they were able to stay together. It's just amazing, too, that your employee knew who they were and was able to connect all the dots. Sounds like a win-win for all of you! I'm so glad you were able to get them home with you before Christmas. I agree, it is your little miracle. :littleangel:

It's been just over 4 months since I lost my best friend, my beautiful German Shepherd. I have missed her every day. I've been to The Humane Society so many times that most of the dogs there know me and greet me like a friend. I knew that I needed to open my home to another dog that needed a family, but I just found myself unable to take that step. I loved every dog I saw, so it wasn't that ... but something just told me that it wasn't time yet.

So last night DH and I decided to take my little guy (who misses his sister so much) to meet a few dogs and see if he found anyone acceptable to come home with us. I really wanted to bring one home before the holidays. So we brought in one after another and his responses ranged from disinterested to disdain. Finally, just as we were getting ready to give up, I asked if they could bring in a bonded pair that had been there for awhile. They were always huddled up in the back of the kennel so I never really got to see them, but they were both female and I knew my little guy would probably prefer another female companion.

So, yeah, love at first sight. One was a little Maltese, so scared that she wouldn't come out from under the bench in the "get to know you" room. Her "sister" was a very outgoing little Chihuahua mix that was sooo thrilled to have a visit with someone. It was clear within minutes (and must to my husband's chagrin - he never imagined TWO more dogs) that they were coming home with us. They were an Owner Give Up and I was told the reason was that the landlord wouldn't allow pets.

So we do all the paperwork and the pair comes home. I, of course, immediately post pictures on Facebook of our adorable new family members. Less than 5 minutes later I get a text from one of my employees, saying that he knows these two dogs. In fact, they used to belong to his roommate. Suddenly I get a friend request from his roommate who is messaging me that he is in tears that his beloved babies are safe and with someone who will love them and that they were out of the shelter before Christmas.

He had been paying rent to someone who owned a house and that person never told him that the mortgage hadn't been paid in a very long time and he found himself suddenly evicted. He tried to find a place he could afford with short notice that would take pets and was unsuccessful. My employee was his friend and offered him his second bedroom but the landlord said no pets. No family would take the dogs, no friends, so he finally made the decision to give them to the shelter. Since it's a no-kill shelter, he felt it was the best decision for them (and they have very high adoption rates). But he'd been sick with worry every day since.

So that's the story of how we had a small Christmas miracle. :goodvibes We have 2 wonderful, very polite, very well-trained family members that we already adore and he gets to know that they have a very good home and he will be able to see them again.

I'm not sure what the odds are of all of this happening, but I imagine they are pretty slim. :cloud9:

And why would I post this here on a thread about pet loss? I guess it's really that circle-of-life thing. I would give anything to have my baby back, but since I've wished and prayed and no such thing will happen, the next best thing I can do is to open my heart to new love. These 3 snoozing dogs (1 old friend, 2 new ones) on my lap (yes, all on my lap... that will take some getting used to!) are all very happy and content. It's their turn. It doesn't make my loss any easier, but it does give me a little more joy in each day.

OMG I got chills reading that , it is an awesome story. Tell your husband that the 2 little dogs = 1 big dog.

Now I must take you to task, we can't see pictures on facebook so you know what you have to do right, you have to start a thread and post the pictures.

WDWBARB: I enjoyed reading the post about your adopting the dogs. I just this Sunday lost my beloved schnauzer rescue Oscar. We think he was about 14 1/2 - got him when he was about 2 1/2 from the county pound. He had an apparent stroke and we had to say goodbye. What struck me about your post was that I adopted him after losing my 18 year old yorkie, and saw his picture and was lucky enough to add him to my family. So yes, it is a circle of life and we have to get joy and give love to those in shelters; they love us unconditionally. Oscar was a lovely, feisty, sweet loving guy and so loyal. I will miss him terribly. I do still have 2 females (a cairn and terrier/mutt) who are giving me comfort. Sorry to ramble - still sad, but wanted to say I liked your post. It made me happy for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter