"DIS meets galore!" - Oct 15-23, 2016 -Link to New TR added - March 2nd

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
Hey everyone! I am skipping writing a Pre-Trip report, and going right to the trip report! But our trip isn't for another 7 weeks - so we'll just call this a preview. It'l work as a Trip Report too - eventually you'll all forgive me for it.

The Story behind this trip: DW and I went on the DIS Adventure's By Disney Backstage Magic trip back in June 2013. In doing so we met a bunch of great people, some from all around the world. As anyone who has been on these trips before, you make friends quickly, and many of the people on this trip we are still in touch with.

In particular, two sisters from New Zealand had come for the trip, and as the trip wound down, many of us said if we they were ever to come back for a WDW visit, then we would try and come down to Florida to meet them. Well, one of them is coming with her family, and we just couldn't resist getting together. There's about a dozen people alltogether that are going, and we have a number of things planned for our stay. The details of which will have to wait for a future post. The plans have been on-going for about a year, but I have been too lazy to write a PTR - so I figure I would start the Trip Report early as a placeholder - and share a few of the details.

Before I get any further, introductions are in order. You'll forgive me for copying them from a previous TR.

DSCN4220_zpsuec6kxng.jpg

We are a family of three Disney addicts. I (Skier_Pete) have been traveling to Disney World since I was 2 years old - though I didn't go from 1982 - 1997. DW first went with my in 1997 when we first started dating, and DD(now 13) first went in 2006 as a 3 year old.

DD is on her 10th trip, DW and I on our 13th together. Last year we took the plunge and bought into DVC via resale. We are owners at Animal Kingdom Lodge, but we haven’t stayed there until now. This is our 4th trip as DVC owners. (SSR in Oct, 2014, BC/Poly August, 2015, VGC Feb, 2016 and now this.)

Our DD is now a 8th grader, and I am not at all happy about taking her out of school. We required her to maintain her grades all through 7th grade above an 85 to take this trip. I am a bit worried as she is a good student, but not enthusiastic about it and a week lost may not go well, but the reason behind this trip required us to take her out. We did for a time consider going without her, but the family from New Zealand will have their 13 year old along, so we thought it would also be a good opportunity for her to have someone around her own age.

As you may have surmised from above - we will be staying at AKV for the first time as DVC owners. We first stayed there in 2010 on rented points, and loved it. When it came time to buy, I was enthused for the location and the price point. We are excited that we are going to try a Value room in Jambo house for the first 4 nights, and then a standard room in Kidani for the next 4. This allowed us to spend a mere 91 points for the eight nights. (This is pretty low for those that don't know DVC. We spent 93 points for 3 nights at the VGC in February, and 172 points for 10 nights at Beach Club and Poly in August/September last year.)

That's it for now - just staking my spot. In a few days I can hopefully come back and update with some details.

Table of Contents

Day 1 - Arrival and first ride - LINK
Day 1 - Star Tours and Sci Fi Lunch - LINK
Day 1 - TSMM and ToT - LINK
Day 1 - Check into hotel and Star Wars Projector show - LINK

Day 2 - Epcot - Future World West - LINK
Day 2 - Epcot - More of Future World - LINK
Day 2 - Epcot - Food and Wine (Part 1) - LINK
Day 2 - Epcot - Evening (and more Food and Wine) - LINK

Day 3 - Epcot - Future World East - LINK
Day 3 - Epcot - World Showcase / F&W (Part 3) - LINK

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom - Adventureland - LINK
Day 4 - Magic Kingdom - Fantasy Land & Liberty Square - LINK
Day 4 - Poly Bugnalows and Kona Cafe - LINK
Day 4 - Trader Sam's and back to MK (Tomorrowland) - LINK

Day 5 - Late morning at Epcot - LINK
Day 5 - F&W Part 4 and another DISMeet - California Connection - LINK
Day 5 - Illuminations Cruise Part 1 - LINK
Day 5 - Illuminations Cruise Part 2 - LINK

Day 6 - Lunch at Sanaa - LINK
Day 6 - Disney Springs & Yeeha Bob - LINK

Day 7 - Animal Kingdom - Safari, Gorillas & Birds - LINK
Day 7 - Animal Kingdom - Everest, Tigers, Flame Trees and the Lion King - LINK
Day 7 - Animal Kingdom - Nighttime Safari and the Tree of Life Awakenings - LINK

Day 8 - Magic Kingdom - Rope Drop, HM and Pirates- LINK
Day 8 - Magic Kingdom - Boats, Boats and more Boats- LINK

Day 8 - Magic Kingdom - Skipper's Canteen- LINK
Day 8 - Magic Kingdom - 7 Seas Lagoon Cruise and evening at MK / Top of the World - LINK

PRE TRIP REPORT - THE 2017-2018 Disney Quadrillogy

Last edited:
Following along - sounds like a very neat trip to get back together with people you met on the ABD

I am not a DVC expert but that does sound like great value for the points you are spending!

I hear you about being hesitant to take a child out of school - we've done it so far but are getting to the point that it will be much tougher. Hopefully things work out with her school work and stuff - but is a great opportunity for her to spend time with the daughter of the other family

Can't wait Pete I'm here to follow along!

Welcome and thanks for joining in!

Following along - sounds like a very neat trip to get back together with people you met on the ABD

I am not a DVC expert but that does sound like great value for the points you are spending!

I hear you about being hesitant to take a child out of school - we've done it so far but are getting to the point that it will be much tougher. Hopefully things work out with her school work and stuff - but is a great opportunity for her to spend time with the daughter of the other family

It is a great value! The value rooms specifically are very cheap at this time of year. (See my comments below.)

I'm here and reading along!

I am excited that you are one of our DIS-meets galore - even though I did not meet you on that ABD trip - though in a way that's "HOW" I met you!

~$160/night for deluxe accommodations. Not too shabby!

Actually less - not to brag - but our initial buy-in comes to just over $2 per point for the life of the contract. Our maintenance fee this year runs to $6.42 per point, so $8.42 cents per point roughly translates to $96 per day average. The actual points per day varies from 9 to 14, so $76 to $118 per day. DVC can be a massive value depending on how you buy in and how you use it.

Actually less - not to brag - but our initial buy-in comes to just over $2 per point for the life of the contract. Our maintenance fee this year runs to $6.42 per point, so $8.42 cents per point roughly translates to $96 per day average. The actual points per day varies from 9 to 14, so $76 to $118 per day. DVC can be a massive value depending on how you buy in and how you use it.

Good point. I was roughly factoring the market wide ~$14/point rental avg. But from an owner's standpoint, you really show the value. Well done. Our family might take a hard look at the DVC resale market next year. Prepay for 10-15 years of stays, however get Deluxe stays at a Value price tag.

Didn't meant to steer your ship off course. Have a great time, look forward to reading along.

Good point. I was roughly factoring the market wide ~$14/point rental avg. But from an owner's standpoint, you really show the value. Well done. Our family might take a hard look at the DVC resale market next year. Prepay for 10-15 years of stays, however get Deluxe stays at a Value price tag.

Didn't meant to steer your ship off course. Have a great time, look forward to reading along.

No problem. The value rooms at AKV are one of the greatest values (no pun intended) on property - but they are supposedly on the small side. They are hard to get into unless you own at AKV because there are very few of them. This will be our first time staying in one. If you start to look into DVC feel free to ask me some questions - I've gotten to know quite a bit about the pluses and minuses.

How fun that you're meeting up with Disney friends! Hope it all works out and that taking your daughter out goes smoothly.
We're taking our son out for one week for our November WDW trip, but he's only in 4th grade and will be able to do independent study during our vacation. Still, it makes me a little nervous.

So - here's some details of our plans - at least the first few days.

Day 1 - Flight lands in Orlando at 10:25 AM. I love these early flights! - we leave the house at 6:30 AM and are at Disney World before noon - it makes it feel so close - like we really could go anytime we want. Unlikely that our room is ready at the resort this early - we may hang at the resort a bit, but a better bet is that we head to DHS as this is our only day there. My estimate for us getting to the park is between Noon at 1 PM.

Three FP are set up for the afternoon.
Star Tours – The Adventures Continue 1:20 PM - 2:20 PM
Indiana Jones™ Epic Stunt Spectacular! 2:45 PM - 3:05 PM
Toy Story Mania! 4:05 PM - 5:05 PM

I actually debated about wasting a FP on a show, and booking Tower of Terror instead, but I'm the only one that rides ToT, so maybe I'll just wait until later in the day or something. I asked DD what show she definitely wanted to see, and she said Indiana Jones, so I picked it.

I might still change this one. We may also be meeting on of the other families that this trip involves seeing - so that could affect the plans as well.

I am not sure if we will try to go back to the room for a bit at some point, but with our current FP that seems unlikely. However, really the only things we want to see in the park are the above, RnRC, ToT (both just me) and Great Movie Ride. We definitely want to hit the latter - last trip was the first time we got DD to ride it, and she made us ride it twice! With the rumor of it's closure, this may be the last chance. (I don't think it's that great - but good enough to ride once, sure.)

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant Dinner Time: 5:40 PM - one of the few reservations I've made - I really love this place as I am a huge fan of the 50s/60s sci-fi cheesy movies. We may be meeting the other family here as well - but so far have had no fortune getting a reservation for 6. Still looking though.

Park closing is currently listed at 7 PM, I give it a 50/50 chance it gets extended - though if current low attendance predictions stick maybe it will. I would like to see the Star Wars fireworks - but at the moment they aren't even scheduled. We could also try and get into Fantasmic if they are not. We haven't seen it in WDW in about 6 years because DD has refused because it scares her - but she is indicating she might be interested. Since we haven't even been in our room yet - I definitely want to get back to the room at a reasonable hour. (No later than 8 - 8:30 PM I hope.)

Sunday, October 16th - first day at Epcot - going to try for rope drop. Generally my FP strategy at Epcot is to burn our FP early - since we only get one useful FP at Epcot because of the tiers. Unfortunately I couldn't do that as we wanted to try Frozen Ever After. Plan to hit Soarin' at rope drop. We haven't seen the new Soarin' yet.

Then likely The Land ride, The Seas, and maybe SSE using our first two FP. Also might check out the DVC lounge in Imagination.

Fastpass times are as follows:
The Seas with Nemo & Friends 9:25 AM - 10:25 AM
Spaceship Earth 10:25 AM - 11:25 AM
Frozen Ever After 1:10 PM - 2:10 PM

Between 11 AM and 12 PM we should be in World Showcase hitting the food booths for our lunch, and checking out the new Frozen Ever After ride.

Expect to head back to the resort by 2 - 3 PM today. Get some pool time and a nap. I think we'll let DD stay in the room, and head out around 6 PM for some more F&W fun, followed by nighttime entertainment at Jellyrolls' on the Boardwalk.

That's the first two days. More to come!

Hi Pete! Cant wait to follow this new adventure!

Thanks for joining in!

How fun that you're meeting up with Disney friends! Hope it all works out and that taking your daughter out goes smoothly.
We're taking our son out for one week for our November WDW trip, but he's only in 4th grade and will be able to do independent study during our vacation. Still, it makes me a little nervous.

We took DD out a few times in Elementary School, which i didn't feel bad about. We've avoided her missing extensive time in Middle School where she is now - though she did miss 2 days in February. This will be the first time in middle school we'll have her out a whole week - and probably the last time. She is a decent student, but she does not like schoolwork, and I could see missing a week of school being really detrimental to her. We told her she had to keep an 85 average last year to come out of school for this trip, and she did it. We have further motivation hopefully for her to keep her grades up this year. (The prospect of her own laptop for high school.)

Anyways - that getting a bit off-topic. We wouldn't take her out at all except for the timing to meet our friends. I don't expect an end-of-the-world type event - but we better see some decent effort. We have times built into the trip where she has time in the room. The idea is to give her time to complete her homework. We'll see how it goes.

So you get there three days before us. You're at the value room in Jambo for the first part right?

You did good on your Frozen FP to get one so early in your trip. It was sold out my first three days when I tried to get my FP. I did get three for my last few days, so I'm sure we'll get to ride it. Your first day is very ambitious. If we got up that early in the morning I'd be dragging by 2PM and needing a break.

I thought they just did a major overhaul of the GMR. I didn't hear the rumor of it leaving.

I'll think of you guys at Epcot on the 16th while we're doing our concert. That's why we aren't traveling until the 18th. I finally went on the new Soarin last week. It's nice, and interesting, but even the first time I rode it, I was already missing the original version. I know. I'm strange.

Sounds like you have good solid plans. I hope your DD keeps up her end of the bargain.

plans sound good ... if things hold true and attendance is down this fall you might have some luck getting a "extra/4th" FP for ToT ... this past July we were able to and even got one for Toy Story Midway Mania - so I think if your DD really does want to see the show, might as well keep it

Love the plans for EPCOT overall - should get in a quite a few things and still have time for the break. One of my favorite things about F&WF is being able to snack at the booths for a meal. Great to have some adult time at night too!

We have times built into the trip where she has time in the room. The idea is to give her time to complete her homework. We'll see how it goes.

I think this is an excellent plan.

Looking forward to reading all about your trip!

Love your plans so far. I also love early flights. They give you the whole day at Disney rather than just part of it.

So you get there three days before us. You're at the value room in Jambo for the first part right?

You did good on your Frozen FP to get one so early in your trip. It was sold out my first three days when I tried to get my FP. I did get three for my last few days, so I'm sure we'll get to ride it. Your first day is very ambitious. If we got up that early in the morning I'd be dragging by 2PM and needing a break.

Yes, we start out in a Jambo value studio - I didn't mention it in the last post, but I did mention it towards the end of the first one.

The Frozen FP was actually the first one available for the day. I debated about booking one for multiple days - but DD is NOT happy about a Frozen ride (she's very anti-Frozen right now), so we told her she would only have to ride it once.

I thought they just did a major overhaul of the GMR. I didn't hear the rumor of it leaving.

The deal with TCM ends in 2018. The rumor is they are ending it early in 2017 - and then they are going to re-do the ride as a "Mickey Mouse through the years" trackless ride. I personally think it is an "unlikely to be true" rumor. I just don't see them taking down any more major attractions in DHS until at LEAST Toy Story Land is open.

I'll think of you guys at Epcot on the 16th while we're doing our concert. That's why we aren't traveling until the 18th. I finally went on the new Soarin last week. It's nice, and interesting, but even the first time I rode it, I was already missing the original version. I know. I'm strange.

Sounds like you have good solid plans. I hope your DD keeps up her end of the bargain.

Well, I would say it's not uncommon to prefer the original version. It's familiar - and it's really good. A new version at BEST is going to be similar but not the same. I think the best part about a 2nd Soarin' film is hopefully someday they will present us with a CHOICE...

And I don't at all expect DD to keep her end of the bargain.

plans sound good ... if things hold true and attendance is down this fall you might have some luck getting a "extra/4th" FP for ToT ... this past July we were able to and even got one for Toy Story Midway Mania - so I think if your DD really does want to see the show, might as well keep it

Love the plans for EPCOT overall - should get in a quite a few things and still have time for the break. One of my favorite things about F&WF is being able to snack at the booths for a meal. Great to have some adult time at night too!

DW would love it if we could get another TSMM Fastpass - we shall see what happens. Maybe I'd even get that for her and DD and get ToT for me if they are both available.

We love doing meals at Food and Wine booths. It's why we've made hardly any sit-down reservations on the trip. We would rather eat little bites at booths than sit down to a nice meal...what's wrong with us!

I think this is an excellent plan.

Looking forward to reading all about your trip!

Thanks!

Love your plans so far. I also love early flights. They give you the whole day at Disney rather than just part of it.

Agree! It works out perfect because we will not have hoppers - and I feel like 6 hours at DHS is about all we need.

We would rather eat little bites at booths than sit down to a nice meal...what's wrong with us!

Nothing! I totally agree! I've only made reservations on the weekend of our trip since we avoid F&W during weekends, and one other, but that's for my friend's birthday, so that's kind of fixed.

As we get closer - more plans to be updated here. (By my count, just 39 days and counting.)

Day 3 - Monday. 2nd day in Epcot. We are NOT planning on hitting rope drop today - the plan is to come arrive sometime between 10 and 11 AM. Our FP for the day are as follows:

9:10 AM - 10:10 AM Spaceship Earth
10:10 AM - 11:10 AM Test Track
11:15 AM - 12:15 PM Mission Space

So - you can see I am essentially burning our first FP unless we get to the park before 10:10 AM. However, the idea here is to get the FPs off the books quickly so we can get a 4th one for later in the day, likely either another Test Track or maybe Soarin'. We have heard from others this technique works, so we'll give it a try.

Our friends from New Zealand will be in Epcot today - so hopefully we can do some things together. However, we have no real preferences for the rest of the day and are feeling easy going. Probably going to do Ellen's Energy Adventure at some point as well, and certainly want to hit some more food and wine booths. Because we are expecting a late start and also possibly an early finish - Maybe stick around the park until 7 PM or so - we would expect to not take a mid-day break back at the hotel.

Day 4, Tuesday - 1st day at Magic Kingdom.

It's a MNSSHP day, so daytime crowds should be low at MK. We will definitely make rope drop today. The plan is to start in Adventureland with Pirates and Jungle Cruise. DD is very adamant we do PotC early. She essentially decided to go on this trip because LAST year Pirates was closed, and she says she needs to ride Pirates! Hopefully it will be open, huh? JC doesn't always open at rope drop.

We may do Splash Mountain as well early in the day before the crowds build. I'd like to convince the Family to do this first - but maybe not (Big Thunder Mountain is in refurb - making it unlikely to be running -and therefore Splash Mountain crowds will be even bigger!) Then we will use our FastPasses as follows:

10:05 AM - 11:05 AM Haunted Mansion

11:15 AM - 12:15 PM Seven Dwarves Mine Train

12:25 PM - 1:25 PM Peter Pan's Flight

So I expect we will cover most of the left-side of the park as well as fantasyland before we leave the park around 1:45 PM for our 2:30 PM lunch reservations. This is our first big "reunion" event as many of the group will be joining for lunch at Kona Cafe!

We can also hopefully wrap lunch before 4:00 PM, and go down for a drink afterwards at Trader Sams. (I've read that Trader Sams fills up quickly at 4 PM, so this may or may not work for all of us.)

After a quick (expensive) drink at Trader Sam's, we'll head back to MK with anyone heading over for the Halloween party. We will have probably picked up another FP, but exact plans for the evening are not critical. We will be shuffled out of there around 7 PM and head back to the resort for a relaxing evening. One possible goal of the evening is to do Hall of Presidents - we have actually never taken DD to see this - so we wanted to before President Obama is replaced.

Day 5, Wednesday, - 3rd day at Epcot. Today we need to switch rooms from Jambo to Kidani, so I am not sure if we will make it to rope drop or not, but hoping to be at the park before 10 AM. Our FP+ look like this:

9:10 AM - 10:10 AM Mission: SPACE
10:10 AM - 11:10 AM Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot

11:15 AM - 12:15 PM Soarin'

Again, it's about burning the FP early to maybe get another useful one for later - maybe another Test Track one. Today we are hoping to meet up with @franandaj in the afternoon, but it is mostly about enjoying some more food and wine festival and meeting whoever else wants to meet up. Once our new room is ready, we will likely go back to the hotel for a little bit to check the new room and change. Then back to the park for dinner (more snacking?) before heading over to Yacht Club for our Illuminations Cruise. Depending how we feel after the cruise - and depending on everyone else - we might try to do Jellyrolls again - with one of us taking Adriana back to the hotel first.

That's it for now - I'll wrap up the last few days in a later post...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter