Dis lawyers: Divorce/custody

JakeJenna

Mouseketeer
I know there are some lawyers here and I am hoping someone can ease my mind a little bit. The wife is having an affair as we speak, the first time she slept with this person she checked herself into the Psych ward because the voices in her head told her to drive in front of a semi. While in the hospital she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, as far as I can tell she has been taking her meds. She was ok for a little while after coming home, in the last week she has resumed the physical part of the affair and has only come home three of the last six nights. I know that it is not that simple but am I going to get custody? What type of documentation do I need to prove the illness? Does the fact that she is not coming home to our kids help my case, if so what kind of records should I keep of that? The guy she is sleeping with is literally a satanist, we have raised our children in a christian home, can this play a role? We are in Ohio BTW. Thanks in advance.

I do have an appointment with a lawyer on Monday, but this is happening real time and I don't want to miss out on anything.

I know there are some lawyers here and I am hoping someone can ease my mind a little bit. The wife is having an affair as we speak, the first time she slept with this person she checked herself into the Psych ward because the voices in her head told her to drive in front of a semi. While in the hospital she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, as far as I can tell she has been taking her meds. She was ok for a little while after coming home, in the last week she has resumed the physical part of the affair and has only come home three of the last six nights. I know that it is not that simple but am I going to get custody? What type of documentation do I need to prove the illness? Does the fact that she is not coming home to our kids help my case, if so what kind of records should I keep of that? The guy she is sleeping with is literally a satanist, we have raised our children in a christian home, can this play a role? We are in Ohio BTW. Thanks in advance.

Edit- I have facebook messages of him telling me he worships the devil and Jesus Christ can suck his...
Not a laywer, but thought it would be a good idea to follow Rule #1. :)

consider that your wife is definitely not well. Perhaps a 48 hour psych hold would be needed here.

You will get much better and more detailed advice from your lawyer, but...

Keep in mind that the standard is "best interests of the child" and that courts tend to want both parents to be involved in their children's lives.

Document, document, document.

Having an affair does not preclude an award of custody. It's the other items you mention that have me concerned for the welfare of the children, such as her hospitalization for mental illness and her apparent inability or interest in providing care for the children.

Being a Satanist, in and of itself, would probably not preclude your wife's new friend from having contact with your children. It's conduct, not belief, that would be relevant.

Good luck.

OK...I am assuming you are being truthful here and will offer some insight for you.

1) A Satanist is an atheist. They do NOT believe in Satan or God. So please change your accusations there and get a little education so you do not look foolish for starters.

The boyfriend here would be classified as someone who is into the "occult" or someone who worships the "devil".

2) Regarding the schizophrenia diagnosis...That is a tough one. My MIL had schizophrenia. Finding the right med and forcing her to take the med is a battle in itself.

3) Since she appears to be "off her meds" and probably in psychosis at the moment, I would recommend going to her psychiatrists appts. You have to be a party to her care in order for this to work. If she does not allow you to then I would ask the attorney to help you file for temporary custody of the children.

Psychosis is nothing to mess with and the protection of your children is primary.

She may get the right help and be able to manage her illness better but at the moment you have to take precautions.

I feel for you. Many hugs. :hug:

The affair and the boyfriend's beliefs will not make much of a difference at this point.

That your wife is not coming home and the mental illness (you said she is not taking her meds, correct?) will have more of an impact. Stay in your residence where your children have resided, file your petition for custody ASAP and as others have said, document everything.

The affair and the boyfriend's beliefs will not make much of a difference at this point. That your wife is not coming home and the mental illness (you said she is not taking her meds, correct?) will have more of an impact. Stay in your residence where your children have resided, file your petition for custody ASAP and as others have said, document everything.

I'm not a lawyer either but I agree. Get whatever proof you have together.

I wanted to add this because I think it is of some interest to people dealing with schizophrenic family members.

My MIL finally found a med that worked for her and did pretty OK with handling her life. Not perfect but OK.

We would talk to her about her past psychotic episodes and memory. She described her "psychotic episodes" as "blackouts" or missing parts of her memory.

So keep that in mind. If she is psychotic at the moment, which I am sure she is from the description of the behavior you have given us, she is "not all there" at the moment.

Not telling you what you should do, but I do wish you well.

Oh, and do keep screen shots of what's posted by her on social media.

And stop posting your personal stuff anywhere that you can be identified. It's discoverable.

I wanted to add this because I think it is of some interest to people dealing with schizophrenic family members.

My MIL finally found a med that worked for her and did pretty OK with handling her life. Not perfect but OK.

We would talk to her about her past psychotic episodes and memory. She described her "psychotic episodes" as "blackouts" or missing parts of her memory.

So keep that in mind. If she is psychotic at the moment, which I am sure she is from the description of the behavior you have given us, she is "not all there" at the moment.

Not telling you what you should do, but I do wish you well.
Thank you, this whole thing is new. I know she is sick and I completely forgave her the first time. I want her to get better more than anything in the world, but I can never look at her the same at this point. I still love her and maybe long term things could work but right now I have to end it and attempt to move on.

1) A Satanist is an atheist. They do NOT believe in Satan or God. So please change your accusations there and get a little education so you do not look foolish for starters.

The boyfriend here would be classified as someone who is into the "occult" or someone who worships the "devil".

Actually, that is not accurate. An atheist is simply someone who does not believe there is any higher power in any form. This means they do not believe in Satan either which means satanists are by definition not atheists and atheists are not by definition satanists. They are two separate things.

Incidentally, OP, is this an account she has access to? Stop posting your business here if she can get ahold of it. No matter what you post, her attorney will twist it.

Incidentally, OP, is this an account she has access to? Stop posting your business here if she can get ahold of it. No matter what you post, her attorney will twist it.

With that I will just sit back and listen. Thank you everyone for past and future posts.:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter