DIS Doctors: Ezcema or just super dry skin?

Rora

<font color=darkorchid>I'm the needy, sexy Unicorn
Okay, I will keep this to a TMI minimum!

I have uber dry skin. It runs in the family. I can slather my body in vats of moisturizer and I still feel dry. For a couple of months now, I've had 3 or 4 small patches of skin that feel extra dry and slightly bumpy- they aren't red and they don't itch. No matter if I put moisurizer on them or not, they still feel this way. I exfoliate and there's still no change.

Today, I noticed another one of these rough patches near my elbow but this one is red and icky looking (not too icky looking but probably noticable if you were to stare at my arm). It doesn't itch.

Now, I'm getting worried. My loving, but paranoid mother (not a doctor... see: paranoid) thinks I'm developing ezcema, or worse, impetigo. I called my dermatologist and she wasn't in today, so I plan on making an appointment tomorrow. HOWEVER, I've looked up both and am pretty sure I couldn't have impetigo. I didn't think it could be ezcema since it doesn't itch.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Is it just really dry skin or does it sound more serious? Could it be ezcema even though it doesn't itch??

Again, I will go to the derm tomorrow but would love some of those valued DIS Doctor opinions. Thanks!

I have eczema that doesn't itch. I have a very mild form and it really isn't that big of a deal. I would go to the doctor and get a diagnosis and some meds. Good luck!

OMGosh dealing with this too, I've got to go back to the Dr. and get the ezcema cream. Sounds like ezcema to me but curious its not itching. Mine itches like crazy. Try this, try scratching some of it. If it starts to itch and the scratching feels better and it gets to where you can't stop scratching, I'm guessing its ezcema. If it doesn't itch at all I couldn't tell you. I only know about my own experience and it itches, but not all the time, just kind of like when I think about it.

Try this, try scratching some of it. If it starts to itch and the scratching feels better and it gets to where you can't stop scratching, I'm guessing its ezcema.

I had that on my leg. Scratching just felt so good I couldn't stop. It even spread a little bit. Doctor gave me some cream called Fluocinonide and it worked wonders.

Both DD and DH have eczema and sometimes it's itchy, sometimes not. Dermatologists are a strange bunch of Drs. Some are complete whackjobs, while others actually know what they are talking about. We have visited at least 5 or 6 different Dermatologists over the last 12 years.

It took DH about 5 years to figure it all out. He used Eucerin, took prescription ointments, sterioids, antibiotics, etc.

Now, they both swear by this product: Shikai Lotion with Borage Oil. It takes a few weeks to work, but now both of them only need a few dabs of prescription ointment on occasion. Once DD has a severe breakout from some latex gloves (and before anyone jumps on it, we did have blood tests done for latex allergies) and that lotion cleared it up. She didn't need the steroid. And, now DH only uses over the counter Zyrtec to maintain.

Drugstore.com has it: http://www.drugstore.com/shikai-borage-dry-skin-therapy-adult-lotion/qxp75484?fromsrch=shikai

Could be many things....

Allergies, contact dermatitis, dry skin, infected dry skin with a fungus, ezcema, etc....

Allergies can be food related, environmental (think spring allergies), medications, contact dermatitis FROM CLEANING SOLUTIONS, pollen, animals, hot water, soap, detergent, your lotion you are using, clothing, etc.

Then you have stress. Believe it or not stress can cause ezcema, no joke.

And to top it off you have hydration. Soda and junky drinks can dry out your skin.

All in all go to your primary and get a tube of prescription cream. It will fix you up in a jiffy.

However it would serve you well in the long run to try and examine the above listing to determine the source if there is one. You may figure it out quickly or it may take yrs.

Good Luck!

I have exema on a couple spot on my face, and it does not itch. Untreated, it's so incredibly dry that my skin literally flakes off -- disgusting, sorry. It's so dry that my skin CRACKS, and that HURTS.

No amount of moisturizer did me any good -- I was slathering on the good stuff 4-5 times a day with no relief -- but that $50 prescription cream from the dermatologist would've been a bargain at twice the price. I didn't even wince at the "could cause cancer" warning.

Once the cream took care of the problem and got my skin to "normal", a good moisturizer keeps it in check -- but without that cream, I don't think I'd ever have made it back to normal.

I have exema on a couple spot on my face, and it does not itch. Untreated, it's so incredibly dry that my skin literally flakes off -- disgusting, sorry. It's so dry that my skin CRACKS, and that HURTS.

No amount of moisturizer did me any good -- I was slathering on the good stuff 4-5 times a day with no relief -- but that $50 prescription cream from the dermatologist would've been a bargain at twice the price. I didn't even wince at the "could cause cancer" warning.

Once the cream took care of the problem and got my skin to "normal", a good moisturizer keeps it in check -- but without that cream, I don't think I'd ever have made it back to normal.

Mrs. Pete, what is the prescription cream?

I have ezcema on my elbows, it doesn't itch either but it's pretty mild.

I've actually started using extra virgin coconut oil on my skin and I love it. You can buy it at health food stores like GNC. It's a solid but melting temp is something like 75º so I just rub it in my hands to melt it and slather it on.

I have ezcema on my elbows, it doesn't itch either but it's pretty mild.

I've actually started using extra virgin coconut oil on my skin and I love it. You can buy it at health food stores like GNC. It's a solid but melting temp is something like 75º so I just rub it in my hands to melt it and slather it on.

Is it working on your elbows?

Thanks for all the responses!

My skin is also flaky and dry. I use a nice face moisturizer in the morning and by the end of the day I'm flaky. :(

My lips are dry, my scalp is dry, my feet are dry. I am in definite need of some serious moisture.

Thanks again for all the replies. I guess we will see what the DR says and I will try some of your suggestions!

I have extremely severe eczema. Mine is so bad that I am on methotrexate (an immunosuppresent) to keep it under control and it is still bad even on this med.

If you have eczema, it is probably a mild case especially if it doesn't itch.

I use vanicream 3x day
clobetasol steroid cream 1x day
desonide steroid cream 1x day

I would try and get vanicream lotion to use on your skin. A lot of the other "sensitive skin" or "eczema" lotions that are sold OTC still have a lot of crap in them and are still very bad for anyone with sensitive skin.

I didn't even wince at the "could cause cancer" warning.
Is it protopic that you use? Cause I know that that one has some pretty serious warnings if it is used long term.

I use vanicream 3x day
clobetasol steroid cream 1x day
desonide steroid cream 1x day

I would try and get vanicream lotion to use on your skin. A lot of the other "sensitive skin" or "eczema" lotions that are sold OTC still have a lot of crap in them and are still very bad for anyone with sensitive skin.

Is it protopic that you use? Cause I know that that one has some pretty serious warnings if it is used long term.

DH used protopic a long time ago (along with a whole host of others!:sad2:).

DH and DD use the vanicream soap. DH's dermatologist suggested also using Cetaphil Skin Cleanser as hand soap instead of regular hand soap.

If it doesn't get better, go see a dermatologist. Many years ago DH let his go too long (you know how men are LOL - trying to tough it out) and he got a severe infection that required antibiotics for nearly a month! :scared1:

One more thing I'll say about that Shikai lotion is it isn't fast acting. It actually takes a few weeks to see results, but it's extremely effective. Also I noticed on Drugstore.com some people said in the reviews it smelled funny. That happened to us with one of our orders. We called about it, and the Shikai company was really nice and sent us a whole bunch of replacements. They said what happens is the Borage oil smells sort of weird when it breaks down/gets old. We haven't had any weird smells since.

Regarding other PPs comments - Yup, Stress brings on flare ups. And weird allergies. We were going to have DH tested for allergies, but it was too expensive. He tried eliminating things from his diet and narrowed it down to fresh, uncooked milk products, wine (because of the sulfites, we think, and certain beers) and peanuts. He doesn't have an anphylaxic reaction to the food items, but if he eats them the next day his eczema flares up for a couple days. As I mentioned before, he takes zyrtec everyday. Originally, his dermatologist had him on a prescription for Allegra, but zyrtec at the time was OTC -- Allegra is now, btw. :)

Good luck!

psoriasis flakes, and it can/does form on elbows, knees or can be annoying spots every where!
I use protopic on my face areas and my ears, it's supposed to be a better option then my rather scary steroid ointments...
One thing i've found that helps a lot is the thick Shea butter lotion from Bath and Body works, I use it every single night.

Not sure is Ezcema is affected by sunlight, but vitamin D is also a good help!

DH used protopic a long time ago (along with a whole host of others!:sad2:).

DH and DD use the vanicream soap. DH's dermatologist suggested also using Cetaphil Skin Cleanser as hand soap instead of regular hand soap.

If it doesn't get better, go see a dermatologist. Many years ago DH let his go too long (you know how men are LOL - trying to tough it out) and he got a severe infection that required antibiotics for nearly a month! :scared1:

One more thing I'll say about that Shikai lotion is it isn't fast acting. It actually takes a few weeks to see results, but it's extremely effective. Also I noticed on Drugstore.com some people said in the reviews it smelled funny. That happened to us with one of our orders. We called about it, and the Shikai company was really nice and sent us a whole bunch of replacements. They said what happens is the Borage oil smells sort of weird when it breaks down/gets old. We haven't had any weird smells since.

Regarding other PPs comments - Yup, Stress brings on flare ups. And weird allergies. We were going to have DH tested for allergies, but it was too expensive. He tried eliminating things from his diet and narrowed it down to fresh, uncooked milk products, wine (because of the sulfites, we think, and certain beers) and peanuts. He doesn't have an anphylaxic reaction to the food items, but if he eats them the next day his eczema flares up for a couple days. As I mentioned before, he takes zyrtec everyday. Originally, his dermatologist had him on a prescription for Allegra, but zyrtec at the time was OTC -- Allegra is now, btw. :)

Good luck!

I guess I need to see how closely related psoriasis and eczema are related, it seems they have similar triggers, I tend to avoid beer because it does cause flare ups and Stress is a HUGE factor...

Is it working on your elbows?

the eczema hasn't gone completely away but the flakiness has improved a lot! And it's not as raised as it has been. Typically my elbows get really sore because I lean on them a lot but with the coconut oil it's really helped.

I use clobetasol when I have bad flareups.

I also put a little coconut oil in my hair before my shower and let it sit while I bathe, then wash it out. My hair is a lot shinier and my scalp doesn't itch as much either.

Mrs. Pete, what is the prescription cream?
It's been two years since I had it. It was something along the lines of Edinol -- I know it started with an E.

Since that cream got it under control, I've had no problem maintaining my skin with Vanicream moisturizer (non-prescription, but they keep it behind the counter at Target, the only place I can find it), which was suggested by my derm. for sensitive, aging skin.

I have eczema on my arms and legs. I did have a compound cream that my dermatologist prescribed and that helped to clear it up when it got bad. I was never really itchy, just dry and red.
Now, after a shower, I don't rub myself all over with a towel like I used to. I dab dry and then cover the arms and legs with either a body oil (nuetragena) or Dove Cream Oil - that stuff is the bestest!
Haven't had to buy the compound again!

It's been two years since I had it. It was something along the lines of Edinol -- I know it started with an E.

Since that cream got it under control, I've had no problem maintaining my skin with Vanicream moisturizer (non-prescription, but they keep it behind the counter at Target, the only place I can find it), which was suggested by my derm. for sensitive, aging skin.

Would it be Elidel?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter