• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dis Dads Pin Trading/Collecting

IndyDisney

Mouseketeer
Any DisDads into this whole Pin Trading dealie?? When I was a kid going to Disney, prior to them introducing pin trading, I was a pin collector. I got away from it over the last decade, but on this most recent trip, I found myself getting back into it, especially since DD4 showed some interest in collecting and even trading.

So anyone else a Pin Trader? Do you trade a lot? Get some of the rarer pins on Ebay? Is Ebay safe to purchase from? Are there other sources for cheaper pins that are tradeable in the parks?

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers,
Indy

Any DisDads into this whole Pin Trading dealie?? When I was a kid going to Disney, prior to them introducing pin trading, I was a pin collector. I got away from it over the last decade, but on this most recent trip, I found myself getting back into it, especially since DD4 showed some interest in collecting and even trading.

So anyone else a Pin Trader? Do you trade a lot? Get some of the rarer pins on Ebay? Is Ebay safe to purchase from? Are there other sources for cheaper pins that are tradeable in the parks?

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers,
Indy

I tried to get The Bug into pin trading. I bought a lot of something like 30 pins on Ebay and split them between the kids to get them started. But she insists that she likes ALL of her pins, so she doesn't want to trade any of them. :confused3

My wife's father (also a Disney nut) got my kids into it a few trips ago. He buys pins like crazy and gives them to the kids. They pick out the ones they want to keep and we put them on a cork display board in the basement rec room. The ones they deem to be "traders" come with us to WDW and they trade them for ones they like.

I got into it a little bit - but I only trade for/buy ones that I like. Don't look to complete any sets or look for rare, valuable pins. But if I like it, it goes on my Disney World hat or on my lanyard.

...I only trade for/buy ones that I like. Don't look to complete any sets or look for rare, valuable pins. But if I like it, it goes on my Disney World hat or on my lanyard.

I'm the same way.

My eldest started it in our family about 7 years ago. He bought his own pins and started trading. The next family trip, my younger son indicated he was interested, so I bought him a couple and he had fun. But then I saw the inherent "souvenir" aspect, and bought each child a "year" pin - the dated kind to commemorate their visit. By the next trip, I found the lots for sale on eBay, and that was it. All 5 of us got in to it, and pin trading became very much a part of our trips. Prior to the trips I would buy lots of however many in order so that we could go into the trip with traders, and then every trip they came home with a dated year pin, that I would buy on-site, as both DW and I would tell them not to trade anything purchase on-site for $6-12 when we were buying intended traders for like 50cents to a dollar each on eBay. They usually buy one or two on-site to keep and not trade.

In 2008 I got us one of those zipper pin carry-bags, and each of us has a page where we put all of our keepers - and it is very, very full. We each have a lanyard for the traders that we take to the parks, though I hate to wear mine, so it usually goes into one of the pockets of my cargo shorts.

Sadly, my eldest announced in April for our most recent family trip that he's bored with it now, and really doesn't care about pins anymore. I still got him his traditional dated pin - this time is was a 2011 WDW 40 pin, but he still hasn't even taken it off the cardboard card and put it in to the carry-bag. :sad2: The one who started it all has now quit on me. (When I went to Disneyland last week, I didn't even bring one home for him, as I did for my other son and my daughter... I usually bring them a pin from each trip of something they are currently "in" to - or one that they saw on a previous trip but didn't buy for whatever reason.)

Like Barry - I look for ones that catch my eye - or my interest. I do NOT like to buy sets, or try to collect sets. In fact, before our April trip, in the eBay lot, there actually was a complete set, but I kept the one I wanted, and divided up the set between the family for trading purposes... none of them wanted the others either. We each have a favorite character, or film, or attraction, or whatever that we try to collect various pins of - but not just anything and everything. I personally like to get one from each resort that I have stayed at... I'm close to having a complete "set" btw with 17 WDW resort pins and 3 DL resort pins in my collection (out of 22 and 3 possible) - though it does go against the prior comment about not collecting sets! :lmao:

I got into it a little bit - but I only trade for/buy ones that I like. Don't look to complete any sets or look for rare, valuable pins. But if I like it, it goes on my Disney World hat or on my lanyard.

This is how I got into it years ago. I'd buy pins I liked and put them on a hat that wore to WDW every year for like 5 or 6 years straight. It's the same way now. Anything I purchased this past trip I wanted to keep. So I get home and realize that part of trading is the ability to get Cast Member Only pins, so I'm looking for a reliable place online to pick up some before our next trip. I started reading some of the pin trading threads on here, and It seems as if the Ebay route can burn you if you don't know what you're looking for. Anyone have any suggestions for reliable sources online??

Cheers,
Indy

DW and I purchased a lot from Ebay in order to try this ourselves. Seems like something our little ones can have fun with so....... The initial investment wasnt much for a lanyard and 50 random pins to split between the three. I chose not to purchase any pin lots from China sellers on Ebay and knew that they had to have the Mickey backings and "official" stamps on the back to be tradable with park employees.

I bought a few pins each trip more as a memory keepsake. I like the ride pins and don't mind paying $8+ at the parks for a pin I'll keep.

I've read all the warnings about ebay, scrappers, fake pins, etc... Looks like decent, genuine pins good enough for trading with CMs can be purchased from reputable sellers (for about $2 on average if buying sets) but I don't want to have DS get into trading with CMs and end up with fakes from the trade. Maybe that doesn't happen if the CMs don't retrade pins they received.

DS6 got a hat with pins at Animal Kingdom but I didn't explain the pin trading thing.... but he is near done with characters and autographs and really just wants to do rides so I'm not sure he will want to do the pin trading but might. I'm actually thinking about a short trip just to do rides with less shows, less dining, less parades, less characters etc...

For now, we have about 30 really nice pins that we keep on our pin hat and lanyard for display at home.

I bought a lot and 3 lanyards on ebay before our trip a few weeks ago for my DD and 2 nephews, and they totally caught the bug. That was one of the bigger hits with them. The only problem was I didn't get any for me, and found myself wishing I had pins to trade as I would watch them. Lesson learned. I did buy my daughter a 2011 pin, as it was her first trip, and plan on picking up one for her every year we go. I also picked up a Mickey U of A pin for myself that I couldn't resist. It'll definitely be a non trader. Fortunately enough for me, I live in HHI where there is a DVC that trades. I plan on picking up a few more lots on ebay, and taking my daughter over throughout the year to relive the excitement of getting new pins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter