• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part III - GAGWTA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Elizabeth. :lmao: Btw your DH has me :sad1: these days. He can't leave me!! :rotfl2:

Wishing you all a beautiful holiday with your families. Thank you for your friendship from the bottom of my heart. Love you all. :grouphug:

Cheryl, you have an amazing attitude and spirit. I hope and pray you continue to get good news. :hug:

Thanks for all the good thoughts, everyone.

I got back home late Sunday. The two hour drive about did me in, but I was so happy to be back in my own bed I didn't care.

I have been walking (with help) down to the Stop sign and back about three times a day. I stopped taking the pain meds yesterday since I don't really think I need them anymore. DD came home from UCF yesterday and has been very helpful. My DH went back to work today, which is probably a good thing. I think sitting with me for the past week was taking a toll on him. I am feeling decent for the most part, but still having trouble getting up and down from chairs, bed, etc. My incision runs from my diaphragm down to the pubic bone and there is another horizontal incision on my left side where the surgeon put in the port catheter. No news yet about the pathology or the need for chemo, but I'm relatively certain I'm going to have to go through the intraperitoneal chemo unfortunately.

I'm happy to be back home again and out of that hospital. I won't go back there again unless they force me to. My local hospital is 100 times better than Jackson Memorial. I'm looking forward to spending time with me family over the weekend and eating some delicious food. I hope everyone enjoys their Thanksgiving Holiday!

Lisa :hug: Your strength is inspirational. You are in my prayers, and I'm going to ask my mother to offer up her rosary for you tonight (I'm sure she'll do it again, also). Hang in.

Lisa - welcome home sista!! Hmm, do you feel like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz? :) I wrote on the white boasrd in my hospital room too, "There is no place like home!!". Wow you scar sounds big!

Did they mention using an abdominal binder to you? Dont know if that would help if the port is close to the incision etc. Its good your dd is there to help you. I am sure she is good to you, not like my unsympathetic at times ds.

I hope you have a blessed thanksgiving and dont eat too much turkey!! You amaze and inspire me that you are walking so soon with no painkillers no less! I guess I was the cancer wimp!!

Continued prayers for you sista and for all the sistas here.

Barbara - Nice to see you posting. Hope the technical stuff gets worked out so we can "see" more of you.

GTAGWTA. Have a blsssed Thanksgiving everyone.

I wanted to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving! I am looking forward to enjoying a day with family and over eating! We had both of my step-kids and my daughter here for dinner last night. It was pretty special for my husband - it is only the third time that all three children have been together. We see my step daughter alot, but he has been estranged from his son for years. So it is nice to see them trying to get along.

I admire the strength and courage shown by all on this thread! We will perservere and will will kick cancer's butt!

Cheryl - Hang in there. I feel for you having to wait so long to find out what the problem is. :hug:

Lisa - I hope you are healing more each day and that the pathology comes back with good news.

Maryann - I'm sorry to hear that your son got bad news. I hope that things turn around for him soon.

My thoughts are also with Marci and for her quick recovery.

I had my reconstruction yesterday. :banana:. I went into surgery at 10:30 and was on my way home by 1:30 so it was very quick. That rock hard TE is out and a nice soft implant is there. I'm just taking Tylenol, no pain pills so the pain isn't too awful. Trying to sleep sitting up in a chair isn't much fun though.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts over these past couple of weeks. I finally started feeling better on Sunday so I figured I would be able to have the surgery. But work has been so busy and I've been trying to catch up at home so I wasn't able to get on the computer much. But I've been thinking of you all and am very grateful for your support.

Have a great weeked and stay safe!!!!

GAGWTA

GAGWTA

Elizabeth -- thanks so much for giving updates.

I made it home on Friday -- it was good to be here. The drains made everything impossible and the one under the left breast was very painful with the binder on. I was able to get all three of them out on Monday and it has made a huge difference. I couldn't take a shower until today, but did now and am feeling better. It's been hard getting my hair clean as I get so exhausted even in a shower chair, so I went and had it washed and styled today. Even without make-up on I feel better. I'm having the most problems from the abdomen and from the right arm where they took all the nodes. Plus, my lower back and bottom are really hurting. I get tired easy but I've been trying to stay up longer in a chair, walk more, and stretch the pain pills out as long as possible. I have a beautiful (not) one piece garment to wear for the next 6 weeks, with a smaller one for about two weeks when the swelling goes down more. They are fairly comfortable but it's difficult to put the right sleeve on since I'm having shooting pains. They tell me that is normal with nodes, that the nerves will hopefully calm down.

The first good info I've gotten -- nodes from this surgery were clear. So I won't have to do radiation and can start chemo in a few weeks, maybe right after Christmas.

All in all, no complaints. It sounds like I'm right where I'm supposed to be. Thanks again for all the prayers and good thoughts!

Thanks for the update, Marci. I'm sorry you're in so much pain, but good news on the nodes. :goodvibes It's amazing how a shower can make you feel human again, isn't it? :laughing: Remember your arm exercises, best time being shortly after your analgesic. You must teach that lymph fluid it's new route to take out of your arm.

Thanks for the update, Marci. I'm sorry you're in so much pain, but good news on the nodes. :goodvibes It's amazing how a shower can make you feel human again, isn't it? :laughing: Remember your arm exercises, best time being shortly after your analgesic. You must teach that lymph fluid it's new route to take out of your arm.

Interesting -- I didn't know that about the fluid. For some reason, the lympheda clinic didn't visit me in the hospital. I'm scheduled to talk to them a week from yesterday. They told me to use the arm, but pick up nothing over a pound or two, try not to reach for things etc. So I'm using it, but very carefully. Thanks for the info!

GAGWTA

Elizabeth -- thanks so much for giving updates.

I made it home on Friday -- it was good to be here. The drains made everything impossible and the one under the left breast was very painful with the binder on. I was able to get all three of them out on Monday and it has made a huge difference. I couldn't take a shower until today, but did now and am feeling better. It's been hard getting my hair clean as I get so exhausted even in a shower chair, so I went and had it washed and styled today. Even without make-up on I feel better. I'm having the most problems from the abdomen and from the right arm where they took all the nodes. Plus, my lower back and bottom are really hurting. I get tired easy but I've been trying to stay up longer in a chair, walk more, and stretch the pain pills out as long as possible. I have a beautiful (not) one piece garment to wear for the next 6 weeks, with a smaller one for about two weeks when the swelling goes down more. They are fairly comfortable but it's difficult to put the right sleeve on since I'm having shooting pains. They tell me that is normal with nodes, that the nerves will hopefully calm down.

The first good info I've gotten -- nodes from this surgery were clear. So I won't have to do radiation and can start chemo in a few weeks, maybe right after Christmas.

All in all, no complaints. It sounds like I'm right where I'm supposed to be. Thanks again for all the prayers and good thoughts!

It is such great news that the nodes were clear. The shooting pains should lessen but it takes time. Sorry about the pain, I expected the abdomen but not the lower back and bottom. Do you think you pulled some muscles and are having spasms? I remember having a muscle relaxer med presecribed for me by the plastic surgeon but I am not sure if I took it.

You had a boatload of surgery. For what you hav been through I think you are doing amazing.

Usually you get series of exercises for the arm. Like simple ones to do for a week or two, different ones when the incisions are no longer open. There is a definite progression. The hospital where I had my surgeries furnished a pamphlet with the exercises during each period of healing.

Lots to be thankful for.

marcij - Glad to hear your good pathology news! Sorry you are in so much pain right now, but it will lessen with each passing day.

KJ - Isn't it great to be able to sleep on your side again? That was my favorite part about getting those horrid TEs out. Can't sleep on my side right now, though. Hopefully, in a few weeks.

MaryAnn - Thanks for your concern and positive thoughts. You keep me going, girl!

Pea-n-Me - Tell your Mom thanks for the Rosary. I'll take all the prayers I can get!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Enjoy your holiday, Lisa, and keep up the good work! I think it is awesome you are off the pain meds already.

What a strong gal you are! The incisions you have are drastic and yet you are on your way to recovery. I sure hope you can avoid the chemo somehow. We'll pray for that.

KJ, glad the next step in your reconstruction is done. Glad it went well!

Yeah, like Lisa, I love being in my own bed too.

As MaryAnn said, there is no place like home-no truer words were ever spoken.

I am loving the idea that we are eating out today for dinner and not obsessing about preparing stuff this year. It feels like a gift to all of us. Now I sure hope they have enought vegetarian stuff for my girls.

Love to all
Laurie

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :grouphug: Sorry I have been a stranger but there was some things going on. Will try to get back soon.

Lisa - I hope you continue to feel better and better each day. I'm sure the walking will help a lot. I haven't been able to sleep on my side yet as my PS wanted me to sleep sitting up for the first few days - but soon! Oh the little things most people take for granted that become such an exciting thing in our lives :woohoo:

Marci - Hang in there. You are doing great and each day will get better and soon the difficulty of ordinary tasks will be behind you.

If anyone is going out into the madness today, be careful of the stampedes - it will be a jungle out there :scared1:

GAGWTA

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

I had my follow up mamo today. She took a couple views, including some cone views (?). Took those to the Dr to look at while I waited. She came back and said she needed to do a magnified view. :scared: After she showed that one to the Dr. she came back and cut me loose.
I won't hear anything until next week. The whole magnified view has me a bit unnerved to say the least.

I called up north and my last mamo was fine and even specifically said no architectural distortion. I hate waiting!

So if there is something there I guess the next thing would be a biopsy?

phorsenuf - Depending on what, if anything, they see on the mammo., you may have an ultrasound and/or an MRI prior to a biopsy. Unless you already had the other two screening tests, then the biopsy would probably be the next step. Different doctors order the tests in different ways though. Or sometimes different times they will order them in a different way.

The first time for me it was mammo, diagnostic mammo, ultrasound, biopsy then the MRI. The second lump on the other side the MRI and biopsy was going to be switched except we decided to wait and see what happens since all the tests are inconclusive right now.

I hope the tests come back negative and you don't have to have any further testing.

Waiting is the worst, especially at holiday time.

My mom went through an extended waiting and it was no holiday. She had the suspicious mammogram right before hurricane gustav in 2008, had to wait until AFTER for the biopsy.

If you can, think of Ann's husband's mantra, don't bleed till your shot.

They may want to look at your prior mammograms, especially if your views now are digital. I think the digitals show more detail, and if it is your first one done at this facility in Florida, maybe they are being extra cautious.

You can ask for a copy of the radiologist's report after it is read. I did for my first diagnostic view!

phorsenuf - wishing you all the best

I hope you all had a nice thanksgiving. We are almost done with the turkey. Yeah.

Marci,Lisa and KJ - prayers for you all as you are healing

Did alot of shopping with dh yesterday at the outlets. Tomm. we will get our angel tree child. I need to get so much done berfore the trip. Working on the christmas cards too.

I won another contest and it was a check for $100! Yippee:banana:
GTAGWTA

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

I had my follow up mamo today. She took a couple views, including some cone views (?). Took those to the Dr to look at while I waited. She came back and said she needed to do a magnified view. :scared: After she showed that one to the Dr. she came back and cut me loose.
I won't hear anything until next week. The whole magnified view has me a bit unnerved to say the least.

I called up north and my last mamo was fine and even specifically said no architectural distortion. I hate waiting!

So if there is something there I guess the next thing would be a biopsy?

I sure pray you get your answer ASAP and that there is nothing to worry about.

phorsenuf - wishing you all the best

I hope you all had a nice thanksgiving. We are almost done with the turkey. Yeah.

Marci,Lisa and KJ - prayers for you all as you are healing

Did alot of shopping with dh yesterday at the outlets. Tomm. we will get our angel tree child. I need to get so much done berfore the trip. Working on the christmas cards too.

I won another contest and it was a check for $100! Yippee:banana:
GTAGWTA

Yeah for the contest! When is you trip!

They say I'm still doing well. AND, I feel like I'm doing well For anyone having done this bi-lateral with flap you know it hurts, but I really can tell that each day I have to grit my teeth a little less. I'm thinking I may have some left by the end of this! And I'm feeling lucky and blessed that the recovery seems to be going well. mM biggest complaint (besides the massive cramps from being off the pill for the first time) is still my arm the the nerve problem. I've seen no relief from that yet. It's not swollen, so I know that's an excellent thing. But the shooting pains and moving it are still very uncomfortable. Since I'm right handed it presents a real problem I can ignore. I've tried doing research but haven't come up with anything except time will help. I'm okay with that, but it's not even telling me anything that will help relieve some of the discomfort. So I've come to my friends here who live this battle. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter