• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIS BOOK CLUB: Book One - Reading Lolita in Tehran DISCUSSION THREAD

I'm actually having a hard time with discussion because I've almost finished the second part of the book. When I pick it up to read, I don't want to stop. I've already got my MIL interested and she wants to read it when I finish.

I can't go to chat tomorrow night because SIL is visiting from Maine so I will be at inlaws tomorrow night. Well, enjoy chat and if anything interesting comes up please put up on the boards.

Thanks,
Christine

It's awesome to hear your replies! You all don't know how excited I am that this thing is working out so well! :)

The difference in responses is neat to see... I enjoy history and am very interested in women in Middle Eastern countries. I like to learn about them so I can better understand how lucky I am to live where I do. I do understand how some would have a hard time with it because it isn't a particularly gripping story until you give yourself to it fully. Once I get into it and have read a chunk of pages it is almost like I feel involved with their book group. That is the same reason that I like how she puts chunks about the book that they are reading, because I feel like one of her girls.

minnie - Tomorrow night, Friday. Hope you are outta the pool by then! (I wish I could do water aerobics, maybe when I move back home... it sounds like so much fun!)

Have a fun weekend, everybody, and keep right on reading!

By the way, what does everybody think of the pace? I think that the 50 pgs/3 days works out pretty well and is quite manageable to work with. Let's hear what you think!

Ashley:wave2:

I think the pace is good. Once I finally got the book, 50 pages in three days was easy!

I, too, am having a hard time getting into this book. I find myself skipping over the parts where she talks about Nabokov and other author's works to get to where she talks about her class.

I went back to where Azar talked about The Magician to Yassi. It says that, though she didn't tell Yassi, he is a real person. It's on page 34 at the bottom. They are apparently friends and see each other often.

I'm only on page 58. It's interesting reading about how different their life is over there.

I'm watching the Olympics opening ceremony tonight and will be glued to the tube for the next two weeks. :crazy: I've never done chat before so I'll only respond here for awhile.

Chat will be in Room 3 tonight...

If I am not there, it is because I am sneaking a peek at the Olympiads...

I'll check in often!

I was just curious, did anyone go to the chat room? I was not able to go. I am behind in my reading. I do like this book. I lived over in the middle east for a few years and this books reminds me of what women go through over there. I once again appreciate my freedoms that I have in the US!

MY sister is having surgery, so I will be going up to be with her for a week or so. I will not be able to post until I get back. Hopefully I will be able to discuss the book with everyone.

Alright, let's hear it!!!

Nobody was in chat on Friday, which was fine with me.... Those opening ceremonies were breathtaking to watch! I love seeing the faces of the Olympians as they come in, so happy and fresh and well... They look so different and their expressions are all the same smiling and almost awestruck faces. I am not good at expressing myself about these things, but I just feel that it almost feels like such a peaceful world. Anybody else feel these emotions?

Anybody notice how far those Middle Eastern countries are coming along now? Women in the Olympics from both Afghanistan and Iran. Reading this book and hearing that news was eye-opening and made me very hopeful for the future.

Anybody up for Chat on Wednesday? 8:00 CST? Let me know.

I'm up for chat on Wednesday, although I am busily reading trying to catch up to where I should be. Right now I'm on page 113. But I should have a couple good chunks of time to read in the next couple days to get close to where I should be.
Still liking it alot, especially now in the Gatsby section how she is describing what is going on in the early years of her working at the university after the revolution. It's so interesting how people were so sure they were getting a better deal with the Ayatollah than the Shah and then once all the arrests and executions starting happening you just got into "a routine" as she says and just went about your business and tried not to cause any problems. I'm sure this is how alot of people survive under dictatorships.

I didn't respond to the original book club thread but I was interested when I saw you picked Reading Lolita in Tehran. I found it to be a very interesting book and I learned a lot from it. A group of women I work with and I have formed our own book club and this was one of the books we read. We had the same experience that some of you seem to be having--some people just couldn't get into it, others were fascinated, it was kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing.

For me it was a lesson in be careful what you wish for and I think it has tremendous application for some of the issues we're facing in our own country. She had so much hope for the Islamic revolution only to find herself marginalized by the government because she was a woman.

Happy reading everyone!

Hi All

I'm around and reading the book, but got a bit behind as I've been working a lot. I'll pop in when i can and try and catch up. I may just comment on what I've read if i see an opening. You may find me around somewhat internittently. I've got quite a few work hours coming up and my sister's wedding over Labor Day weekend.

:wave:

Sorry about book chat!

My internet went kaput again. Thank goodness we are moving and will not have to deal with Charter Communications anymore!

Did anybody go?

How are we feeling about the book? I am doing some catch-up since I got kind of behind with the move.

I will post a whole lot of thoughts in the next couple days, though. Just gotta keep moving and packing and cleaning for now!

Happy reading!

Ashley -- I checked in on chat a few times, but no one else was there.
I have finally caught up to where I should be. I had a hard time with book III. I liked the very beginning of it, but the middle dragged alot for me. I kept getting the different revolutionary groups mixed up and I really didn't understand what most of them stood for. I kept hoping she'd get back to the book club/class. The background about the war was interesting, especially the information about Iraq. Crazy to think we were once on Saddam's side! By the end of the section, I was back into it though. The whole thing about the Western influence and how many thought that our culture was evil and would eventually die out was very enlightening. It helps explain why some feel the way they do about the US. Although I think most of it is nuts, but at least I understand where their ideas are coming from.
I know we aren't supposed to talk about Part IV yet, but I will say the pace picks back up and I'm liking it much better again!

Well... Only a few more days for this book...

Is everybody keeping up okay? Let me know. I am behind, but that is because I had to devote a lot of time to moving...:mad:

I am working on catching up, though, but let me know if you are struggling!

I'm liking it. I was confused, but I asked some questions and now I'm a bit better.

I'm home now, hopefully the internet is more consistent here.

Let's hope to chat soon!

Who all is getting ready for chat and discussion?

You may begin discussing the ENTIRE book on this thread, but when would be a good time for chat? This week? Next week? Let me know... I know we strayed from the schedule perhaps, but flexibility is key sometimes, at least in my life. Let me know if you liked or disliked how we've been operating!

I would like to do better with the next book, and think that life will allow me to do better, also. I picked it (The Jane Austen Book Club) up today, along with some Jane Austen titles since I have never read anything by her (I haven't read hardly ANY classics).

I'm excited to discuss Reading Lolita soon! Now I'm off to bed to go finish it... She has written a very good story, in a very intriguing fashion, I'm glad that it caught my eye along with the eyes of a few of you.

Looking forward to sharing some thoughts!

I'm ready for chat whenever, just post the time!

Overall, I enjoyed the book. There were parts where it dragged for me, but not enough to make me want to quit reading it. It was interesting to me to learn about what life was like in Iran after the Ayatollah came to power. I'm really interested in history, but don't know much about Middle Eastern history.

I thought the last section was the best when she concentrated on her relationships with the women in her class. One thing that surprised me was how long it took them to decide to move to the States and I did think it was interesting that many of the girls in the class left Iran as well. It didn't seem like most of them would.

One thing that this book did make we want to do was read some more classics. Of the four main authors the sections were named for, I have only read "The Great Gatsby", read it in high school, mostly liked it and I still remembered most of it when she was talking about different scenes in the book, surprisingly! I would really like to read some Austen and Nobokov intrigues me too. James, not so much though for some reason.

I picked up Jane Austen book club last weekend, so I'm ready for that one as well!

I'm sorry I started out so gung ho about our book club and have just completely dropped out of sight. The book wasn't for me, but hopefully next time around I can jump back into the mix. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter