• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dirty Drinking Glasses in Studio

Mickey'sApprentice

Shamelessly demand, it works bette
Hey guys!

DH and I just got back and gave a mostly positive room report on a thread called "Just Back from BWV"

One item of concern was a dirty drinking glass. It looked like something like chocolate milk had settled in the bottom leaving a spot about the size of a quarter. I noticed it while drinking from the glass. :sick:

Anyway, I was about to let it go until I saw this video from Atlanta.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22250/39039-hidden-truth-hotel-d

Can someone please tell me the procedures used by DVC to clean dishes and glasses? Are studios and villas cleaned in the same manner? Do the glasses go through a dishwasher?

Please give some input on what you know about this procedure so that I will know what to say to DVC. If warranted, I think we should all complain. This could be a public health hazard.

Interesting video.............a little gross, but interesting.

We don't use the glasses while we're there, we usually bring our own cans of soft drink or juice and leave them in the fridge.

Thanks for sharing............it makes me want to go out and get a small camera and leave it runing when they clean........but we do not get daily cleaning unless we are in AKV concierge.

If we are in a studio we bring our own paper or plastic cups.

We haven't stayed in a 1 or 2 bedroom yet, but I'm thinking we will run things thru the dishwasher to be careful.

On the inventory list posted in each unit, DVC does have a disclaimer that the dishes are not up to commercial sanitation requirements. They treat them as you would the dishes in your own home. Restaurants have much stricter requirements. You have to have a Wash, Sanitize and Rinse tub to meet health code regulations.

I dont believe that Housekeeping takes down all the dishes and washes them between guests. Even if they did, I would still wash everything before my family uses it.

I have bleach tablets in my ownerslocker and although Im not really queasy about these things, bleach will sanitize the dishes and the dishwasher gets hot enough to give a thorough cleaning.

I don't believe housekeeping takes care of washing dishes between guest. It's up to the guest to take care of the dishes. I always check the dishes before we use them and run them through the dishwasher.

We do the same as some of the other posters. We wash and rinse all the glasses we use as well as wiping down the remote and other things with wipes.

Brownie

I just thought of this, but for the remotes, someone suggested dropping them in a Ziploc bag and sealing it. Instant remote sanitation:lmao:

I wish I would have known about all of this before our trip.

I'm one of those folks that don't get that excited about things, and just ASSUME that most people do the right thing because I always try to do the right thing. I now understand why years ago, I was always considered "slow" when performing similar "Right out of high school jobs."

For the future: Will Disney supply disposable plates and cups?

We were in an OKW 1 bdrm between Christmas and New Year, and, having seen some of these posts, I ran everything that I knew we would use through the dishwasher before we used them. That video's scary.

Another way to check on them to see if they are taking out all the glasses and bringing in new ones would be to check out the cleaning cart we sometimes see in the hallways between 10 am - 5 pm. I bet there is not a stock of clean glasses in there. We won't be there until July, but I will check if I come across one of those carts next time we are there.

Here is a picture taken today Jan. 19th, 2008 at AKV. Below is a picture of a tray of CLEAN glasses from the room cleaning cart in the hall at AKV. There was also another tray with dirty glasses on the other side of this cart. These glasses were clearly cleaned elsewhere and put on this tray to be used for the guest rooms.

I hope this puts some people's minds at ease at least about staying at Disney Resorts and if the glasses are cleaned the correct way, unlike that video earlier in this post.

DSC02346a.JPG

And the answer to your earlier question is yes, they do wash all the dishes in between guests. It's supposed to be a requirement, our housekeeper told us last time we were there. Failure to do so can result in dismissal.:hug:

Here is a picture taken today Jan. 19th, 2008 at AKV. Below is a picture of a tray of CLEAN glasses from the room cleaning cart in the hall at AKV. There was also another tray with dirty glasses on the other side of this cart. These glasses were clearly cleaned elsewhere and put on this tray to be used for the guest rooms.

I hope this puts some people's minds at ease at least about staying at Disney Resorts and if the glasses are cleaned the correct way, unlike that video earlier in this post.

DSC02346a.JPG

Thank you! That really puts my mind at ease.

I JUST RUN EVERYTHING THRU THE DISHWASHER BEFORE WE USE ANYTHING,SOUNDS ALITTLE OBSESSIVE BUT I ALSO WIPE ALL HANDLES AND SWITCHES ECT. ECT. WITH LYSOL OR THE CLOROX WIPES.IT JUST PUTS ME MORE AT EASE. I ALSO PULL ALL THE LINENS OFF THE BED TO CHECK THE MATTRESS, AND THE TOP BEDSPREAD GETS PUT IN THE CLOSET. :eek:

I travel a lot for work, etc. And have never gotten a cold, flu etc from a room I have stayed in. I have lost 1 day of work in the last 10 years from illness. DH hasn't missed any. DS 11 has missed 2 days of school - total since 1st grade. None of us have become ill from a Disney trip.

Throw out anything that says antibacterial in your house. Let your body fight off illness naturally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter