Direct to room... skipping the front desk check-in process?

chris4disney

DIS Veteran
I remember reading earlier this year about this new feature being rolled out that you can get off the Magical Express bus, skip the front desk and go directly to your room (assuming it's ready) or go to the parks. Is this option in place now and if so, what is your experience with it? I'm assuming you get a text when the room is ready, but has anyone skipped the front desk, but then never got a text or some other issue? Is this something that is set up when I do online check-in? We're 86 days out so I'll be able to check-in online later in August.

TIA

Following. I'm familiar with the process of this because I remember the test phase, but also wondering this is requested during online check-in and if it's available at all resorts now?

From what I've read, it is available at all resorts now, and it doesn't matter how you arrive- via DME or otherwise. As long as you get your magic bands in advance and fully complete the on-line check in process (piut a credit card on file, set up a pin, etc...), you get a text/email on arrival day when your room is ready and you can go straight there without stopping at the front desk.
There are certain instances when this cannot work- guests coming from outside the USA don't get magic bands until they arrive, and certain discounts that require documentation to be shown at check in (military and such).

We drove ourselves, but we did this in June. I just did online check-in, and we got a text of our room number while we were driving. We were able to get into our room with our magic bands.
We did go to the front desk after that because I couldn't remember what PIN number I had used for charging (I did online check-in too early LOL)
We had no technical glitches at any time with MDE, FP+, magic bands...we even upgraded to APs after we entered Epcot...and everything still worked.

ETA: We also got a room exactly as requested. We booked a Cars Suite...and I requested close to main building and top floor (we had top floor in the building that was closest to everything).

We used it in June at POR and it worked fine. I got the text with our room number as we were getting off the plane. I did eventually go to the front desk to get a parking pass for the rental car but, if not for that, there would have been no need to ever go to the front desk.

I did direct-to-room in April this year and will do it again next April. I got the text when I turned on my phone after getting off the plane - not sure how early they sent it. My plane didn't land until 3 pm, so I can't speak to being able to get a room assignment early. I thought it was great, though. I never went to the front desk in my entire stay; never needed to.

That said: this year was my third stay at POFQ, and that's where I'll be next year. I don't think I'd do online check-in anywhere else, but I'm familiar with POFQ and I'm really not concerned where they put me; no important room requests. (This year I did get a great location convenient to the main bldg, as requested.)

I did online check-in but did not put a cc on file and still got the text alert with our room # before we even arrived. loved it.

Yes. Last month, we were ON the Magical Express (12:30pm) when I got a text that our room at BCV was ready (Room # was included).

I was QUITE surprised because in the past (this was our 8th stay at BCV), our room has not been ready until almost 4pm.

It was great to be able to step off the bus & head directly to our room.

I did online checkin today and I put in our cell phone number. It never stated anything about bypassing the front desk. Is this just a given?

We had 2 rooms for a GF stay in June at BWI and got a text while in MK. Went straight to room after stopping at EPCOT for adult beverage. It was great. Hoping for the same next week at AKL with 3 rooms. In June I received an email a week before stating that we were eligible for this.

I did online checkin today and I put in our cell phone number. It never stated anything about bypassing the front desk. Is this just a given?

We received an email about a week ahead of time that we were eligible for the text service. We did this in April and like others have experienced. we received our text while at the airport and the room was ready when we arrived around 11am. It was really nice.

We will be staying at a resort we've never stayed at before for our trip next month, POR. I don't know if we'll know where we are going if we receive a text with a room number only. We might have to get a map, first.

We received an email about a week ahead of time that we were eligible for the text service. We did this in April and like others have experienced. we received our text while at the airport and the room was ready when we arrived around 11am. It was really nice.

We will be staying at a resort we've never stayed at before for our trip next month, POR. I don't know if we'll know where we are going if we receive a text with a room number only. We might have to get a map, first.
Perfect thanks!

We will be staying at a resort we've never stayed at before for our trip next month, POR. I don't know if we'll know where we are going if we receive a text with a room number only. We might have to get a map, first

We had to. I was not expecting a text since we did not provide a CC but I was able to find a WL room map on the WL thread very easy.

Used it in March at POR. It was great(Except we were the last ones in our group to finally get our room). My sister and Brother in Law had received their text as we got off the airplane(10 am arrival) so they had a room as soon as we were dropped off without waiting through the check in line. Much better than the old way, especially since you already have your room keys(magic bands anyway)

We did it too! It was amazing. We got the text around 1:30 pm for our villa at BWV, went right to the door and we were in! Like others, we never spoke to anyone at the front desk the entire time we were there. It was kind of strange actually. I kind of like that "welcome" you get when going to the front desk, but I certainly didn't miss the line!

My text from Disney had a little description of the room, so we didn't need a map, per se (but I think I did google a map of the resort since DH was driving):
(The text was received at 11:52 am)
Your resort room is ready. Your room number is 1817 4th Floor Cars Building 1

Text STOP to cancel.

I also got an e-mail. The e-mail might have had the resort map, but I can't remember now.
ETA: The e-mail said that if I already have my MagicBand, I can go straight to my room.
Your Disney Resort hotel: Art of Animation
Your Resort area: Wide World of Sports
Your Room Number: 1817
Your room location: 4th floor Cars Building 1
Then it did have a "click here" to see a map of your resort option

We are checking into AKL next week, have 3 rooms, all of which my husband and I are paying for and so far one DD has received the email. Confusing. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter