Direct first then resale?

theostwalts

DIS Veteran
After the recent "restrictions" put on resale contracts, I noticed some saying that purchasing a direct contract and adding on resale later for more points would be a way around those changes. Since some time has past since the changes, does anyone still think that this is worth it? Or do most still think the savings just on resort rates for stays are worth it?

Thanks

If the core benefit of DVC -- using your points for stays at DVC resorts -- does not justify the purchase, nothing else will. If you're thinking about buying, focus only on what you are actually buying...not the frills.

The most important thing to remember about "member benefits" is that they are not guaranteed, and can be changed or removed entirely at any time with no notice to anyone. And that applies exactly the same whether you buy direct or resale.

Keep in mind also that nobody really knows whether the common assumption that buying a small contract direct will give you all the benefits is true. It's an assumption people have made based on the first few weeks of limited statements by DVC -- and you know what happens to U and ME when we assUME!

Also...if DVC sees a bunch of people buying 25-point contracts to get the perks, don't be surprised to see them require a threshhold of a certain number of points purchased direct. That's a simple change; just a stroke of the Mouse's pen. (Actually, if they're going to restrict some perks to direct-only, they're either dumb or lazy NOT to have a minimum number of direct points as a threshhold, IMHO.)

After the recent "restrictions" put on resale contracts, I noticed some saying that purchasing a direct contract and adding on resale later for more points would be a way around those changes. Since some time has past since the changes, does anyone still think that this is worth it? Or do most still think the savings just on resort rates for stays are worth it?

Thanks
Doing that backwards should work better. Buy resale and then add on a smaller direct contract. The latest restriction states that any points purchased directly qualify with no limitation.

Doing that backwards should work better. Buy resale and then add on a smaller direct contract. The latest restriction states that any points purchased directly qualify with no limitation.

Yep. Add-ons direct from Disney require a lot smaller minimum points buy than initial contracts do. Buy the larger initial contract on the much cheaper resale market, then add-on a 25 point contract direct for the benefits.

The latest restriction states that any points purchased directly qualify with no limitation.
To rephrase a little, "The latest restriction -- announced with absolutely no warning, actually announced after the fact -- states that directly-purchased points qualify. For now.

Take that to the bank.

For clarity, minimum to buy new is 50 points, minimum to add on is 25 points ---- currently.

So. Buy resale and then add on 25 is better than buying 50 and adding resale.

Also, most people want their UY to be the same on multiple contracts because it keeps points in same member number (different UY equals different accounts). So. Easier to find what you want resale than direct as far as UYs go. If you buy direct with an Oct UY, you're stuck looking for an Oct UY on the resale market.

But. Buy resale first and find best contract/UY and then ask to add on direct in same UY.

Also. If you buy resale and try it out, you might find the benefits you're missing aren't really missed.

For all those reasons, buy the resale contract first.

Think you're off better buying resale first then add on direct. I bought BWV resale, Oct. UY in 2004. When I wanted to add on I could never find a small resale contract with my Oct UY. I really wanted the same UY so I had no option but to add on direct. Over the course of the next few years I added on 4 50 point contracts. I never saw any low pt contracts resale. I think that happens frequently when going direct first and then resale.

If the core benefit of DVC -- using your points for stays at DVC resorts -- does not justify the purchase, nothing else will. If you're thinking about buying, focus only on what you are actually buying...not the frills.

The most important thing to remember about "member benefits" is that they are not guaranteed, and can be changed or removed entirely at any time with no notice to anyone. And that applies exactly the same whether you buy direct or resale.

Keep in mind also that nobody really knows whether the common assumption that buying a small contract direct will give you all the benefits is true. It's an assumption people have made based on the first few weeks of limited statements by DVC -- and you know what happens to U and ME when we assUME!

Also...if DVC sees a bunch of people buying 25-point contracts to get the perks, don't be surprised to see them require a threshhold of a certain number of points purchased direct. That's a simple change; just a stroke of the Mouse's pen. (Actually, if they're going to restrict some perks to direct-only, they're either dumb or lazy NOT to have a minimum number of direct points as a threshhold, IMHO.)
Excellent Points.

I am interested in possibly purchasing a resale Grand Floridian contract, and then doing the direct add-on described above. I have been researching DVC for awhile, and did not act fast enough prior to Disney stripping the benefits* from new resale owners.

When add-on is being mentioned, would I be able to add-on 25 Polynesian points at $171 even though my "master contract" is at the Grand Floridian? Based on wanting to vacation in October, November, and December, I would look for an October use year DVC resale (based on what I had read for those travel dates), and would want the 25 add-on Polynesian points with the same October use year. I know I cannot "combine" them and use them all 11 months out for one resort (they will be restricted to their home until seven months). I figured I would either bank, use, and borrow and have a three/four night stay at Poly every three years, or split my stays, or even rent the 25 off.

I just wanted to ensure that at the current time, I would be able to add-on direct Polynesian since it is currently selling from DVC to the resale Grand Floridian.

*When I mentioned benefits, I was mainly interested in the access to a DVC gold pass and discounted AP renewals. We would not be interested in the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection (which were already excluded)

Last edited:
I am interested in possibly purchasing a resale Grand Floridian contract, and then doing the direct add-on described above. I have been researching DVC for awhile, and did not act fast enough prior to Disney stripping the benefits* from new resale owners.

When add-on is being mentioned, would I be able to add-on 25 Polynesian points at $171 even though my "master contract" is at the Grand Floridian? Based on wanting to vacation in October, November, and December, I would look for an October use year DVC resale (based on what I had read for those travel dates), and would want the 25 add-on Polynesian points with the same October use year. I know I cannot "combine" them and use them all 11 months out for one resort (they will be restricted to their home until seven months). I figured I would either bank, use, and borrow and have a three/four night stay at Poly every three years, or split my stays, or even rent the 25 off.

I just wanted to ensure that at the current time, I would be able to add-on direct Polynesian since it is currently selling from DVC to the resale Grand Floridian.

*When I mentioned benefits, I was mainly interested in the access to a DVC gold pass and discounted AP renewals. We would not be interested in the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection (which were already excluded)

DVC will sell you points at any resort that they have them available. They won't care where you have the majority. And I'd ask about VGF unless you really wanted PVB. Or any of the other resorts if some other is preferred over Poly.

DVC will sell you points at any resort that they have them available. They won't care where you have the majority. And I'd ask about VGF unless you really wanted PVB. Or any of the other resorts if some other is preferred over Poly.
Ok, great to know, thank you!

I have been reading and saw that there is either a "closed wait-list" or "no more new contracts for VGF." Are add-ons different that there may be smaller chunks of points available? Having them all at VGF would be ideal :)

I had requested information from Disney direct, and I was in contact with guide. I was hesitant to inquire about add-ons without already having a master contract.

Ok, great to know, thank you!

I have been reading and saw that there is either a "closed wait-list" or "no more new contracts for VGF." Are add-ons different that there may be smaller chunks of points available? Having them all at VGF would be ideal :)

I had requested information from Disney direct, and I was in contact with guide. I was hesitant to inquire about add-ons without already having a master contract.

I read some recent reports that they are now willing to sell points if they have them but aren't doing the waitlist. What the reality is I'm not certain but it sounds a bit like luck of the draw now for some of the resorts. And because of that I'd probably just wait until you close on your resale and see what's available then as 25 points can't be a master but can be more easily found by DVC at a "sold out" resort to sell than even 50 or more points.

We just bought resale (waiting to close) and I've already spoken to my guide about adding 25 points direct. He was able to give me the prices for OKW and AKV, which are slightly less than the Poly. He said it can take a few days or weeks to find the points and use year, but it's very easy! Not sure if VGF can be done like this, but it's worth asking!

Thank you for all your help.
I'm also thinking about adding on to my resale bought 2 years ago. I was thinking direct may be the way to go trying to have the same UY.
I'm just debating on which resort. We have BWI but was thinking of Bay Lake, Saratoga or BWI. Do you all have different resorts or all in one resort?
Trying to think of the pros and cons of having one or more home resort.

Thank you for all your help.
I'm also thinking about adding on to my resale bought 2 years ago. I was thinking direct may be the way to go trying to have the same UY.
I'm just debating on which resort. We have BWI but was thinking of Bay Lake, Saratoga or BWI. Do you all have different resorts or all in one resort?
Trying to think of the pros and cons of having one or more home resort.
First, this is somewhat of a zombie thread because the last post prior to yours was over a year ago.

2. This thread was created in the wake of the 4/4/16 changes and was about how to restore perks for contracts bought post that date. You say your BWV contact is 2 yrs old. I assume that means it was purchased prior to 4/4/16 and therefore perks are grandfathered.

If perks are grandfathered, your best option is to look for another resale contract. It won't matter to you if new contract doesn't have access to perks so long as the old one does and you're not planning to sell it.

For example, you'll save at least $60/ point buying BLT resale over direct. That equals a third more points for the same price. You could buy a 150 point resale BLT contract for about the same as a 100 point direct contract.

I would look resale. I would asked to be added to the resale brokers emails, and call agents at the bigger brokers and ask them to be on the lookout for a contract that matches your UY and point requirement.

You cannot combine points at 11 months at different resorts but you can at 7 months (if they're the same UY in the same membership). One of the things you CAN do is use bank and borrow to double the amount of points at each resort in alternative years. If you have 100 points each at 2 different resorts, you can use 100 points at resort A and borrow 100 points from next yr, giving you 200 points at resort A this year. Then you bank your 100 points at resort B and next year you'll have 200 points to use at Resort B. Wash. Repeat.

If your first contract was purchased prior to 4/4/16, as you suggest, the rationale in this thread for buying direct doesn't apply to you. That being the case, your access to perks should be grandfathered by your current contract.

Finally, this is currently a massive sellers market. If you aren't in a hurry, the resale market will look better and have more options that might fit your needs as we go into the Fall and Winter. The resale market is cyclical that way.

Last edited:
Buying an add on for perks is spending more money to receive marketing freebies and for the opportunity to participate in marketing initiatives such as DVC Lounge, cheaper pass and Moonlight Magic Events for the developers of new timeshares, DVD. Perks are not supplied by DVC, and all you are doing is purchasing the opportunity to participate in the DVD marketing, which may or may not offer you a value. If DVD decide the marketing is not working and not enough new timeshare is being sold as a result, the perks go. Consider DVD's own statements which say you should not buy based on perks and they can be taken away.The perks come from marketing budgets, and are directly funded by those paying direct prices. Make sure you understand all this, and know for a fact you'll get the value from perks before spending more money or taking less points for the same money. Essentially will you buy an annual pass or not? Never buy an add on because you 'think' you'll need perks without working out the economics and never buy direct in the mistaken belief it makes you 'more' DVC. All contracts (deeds) direct or resale are exactly the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter