Dinosaur vs Indiana Jones

silverarrowknits

makin' memories
A couple of years ago, I made the trip to DL and went on the Indiana Jones ride. I remember liking the ride, but that it was really jerky. I remember that my neck was sore after the ride, which concerned me since I am a relatively healthy 20-something year old with no history of neck problems.

I heard that Dinosaur in AK is based off the Indiana Jones ride, and so now I am nervous to try it, because I don't want a repeat performance. I think the big problem for me during Indiana Jones was that there were these sudden dips and really tight corners that were happening at (pardon the pun) break neck speed, which were just a little too much for my neck. If anyone has ridden both of these rides, did you find Dinosaur to be equally or even more jerky? For those that have only ridden Dinosaur, is the ride really jerky or just a bit "rough around the edges"?

Thanks!

it's hard for me to directly compare the two, but i'd say if you had issues with IJA, you're likely to have them with Dinosaur.

I LOVE Indy, as for Dino, I could take it or leave it.... but they are pretty much the same as far as jerkyness goes. If you had problems after Indy, I would skip Dino, since Indy is so much better as far as details, themeing etc. Don't risk being hurt for Dino.:cutie:

Yes they are very much the same. Same Jerky full on motion.

If you decide you want to ride it try to get a center of the car seats(center row or front and center 2 seats). These don't feel the full effect of the car pitch so your only dealing with the movement of the entire car.

Definitely very similar. If Indy bothered you, chances are Dinosaur will, too. VERY jerky, and a very similar ride.

As said, same technology, basically same ride. I did find IJ seeming to last longer and bit a bit more forceful, but if IJ hurt you I would be hesitant to do Dino.

We have done both and Dino is way faster than Indi. No comparison. Lots of the same kinds of motions. Just a lot faster on Dino. I actually found Indie bumpier simply because the ride is not as fast and absorbs the bumps a lot more. I hated Dino though and will never go on it again. My three kids were absolutely terrified. Being 20 something it is a non issue however.hth

I'm not a fan of either one, honestly. I rode Dino before I rode IJ and I was so nervous about going on IJ to begin with. They are both way too jerky for me -- even more so since I hurt my back a few years ago. I won't be riding them ever again and that's fine by me. Honestly, OP, if IJ bothered you I wouldn't even attempt Dinosaur. It's not worth it.

Thanks for the info. I would like to see the theming of Dino, but more importantly I like how my neck is attached to my head.

I still remember leaving IJ and telling my friend that I was not repeating that ride, while 7 year olds were racing past me to ride it again. Oh well, at least I have IASW! :rolleyes:

I have a bona-fide bad neck, and there's no way I would ride either ever again. They're the same ride platform. The last time I rode Indy was a year and a half ago. I am sure my doctor would have had a heart attack if she'd seen me on it, but the previous time I had ridden it was before I had neck problems, so it never occurred to me to stay off of it. Major mistake. We're going to WDW in June and Dinosaur is not on my list. However, I can't say I was ever truly thrilled about having enormous extinct carnivores leaping out at me in a dim, dank jungle :rotfl:

Now, Mt. Everest, well... one time can't hurt me too much, can it?;)

Dino and Indy are a must see for us. They are pretty much the same ride (just different theming) as most have said here though. Dino will be jerky!

I didnt find Dinosaur to hurt my neck, it is a softer ride, but Big Thunder Rail Road KILLS my neck!! It is the only ride that does that to me and I dont have a neck problem at all. BTRR is so hard on me with the jerking. I actually ship the ride because of it.

Yes, both are created on the same simulation technology and same machines but with different comestic work. In my opinion, Dinosaur was a bit jerkier than Indiana Jones...and a little more frightening. If you have serioius neck issues, you may wanna stay away from this one. There are plenty of thrilling rides that won't give you a pain in the neck.

Enjoy your trip!

Foobs :cool1:

I didnt find Dinosaur to hurt my neck, it is a softer ride, but Big Thunder Rail Road KILLS my neck!! It is the only ride that does that to me and I dont have a neck problem at all. BTRR is so hard on me with the jerking. I actually ship the ride because of it.

I am not a big thrill ride person, but I have been on all the coasters at WDW (except for EE and RnR, they were built after I came up with the "brilliant idea" one year to ride everything) and I have never had a neck problem before. Granted I walked off ToT white as a sheet (probably wasn't a good idea to go on a ride that is my worst fear -elevator crashing to the ground- realized), but never with a neck issue before. Oh well, I guess I will just have to try out Kali River Rapids instead!

You never know what rides you can or can't do until you try. Everyone is different, even people with joint problems have differing symptoms from each other and will say different things about each ride.

I think it's safe to say that Dinosaur will be a problem since Indy was- mechanically, they're the same ride. But, I wouldn't necessarily extend that caution to another ride unless you figure it out for yourself. As I said, everyone is different, and we all have opinions, but we're not you! I'd hate to think you might avoid a ride because it doesn't work for someone else- or go on a ride you shouldn't because everyone else thought it was fine.

I even got bad advice from a CM once, but I don't blame her because she wasn't me. Rides are created for most people to be able to ride, not for all people, you just have to figure out which group you're in for each ride :thumbsup2 I personally have found the posted warnings to be next to worthless, but I understand they're not for my protection, they're for Disney's.

We've noticed that the ride is a little less jerky if you're in the front row, rather than the back. It also feels like you're going a lot faster than you really are. You know, the whole wind in your hair effects. But don't do anything that you think may give you problems. Enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter