Dinosaur too scary for little ones.....

It truly does depend on the child. My daughter rode Tower of Terror and loved it, yet Dinosaur and It's Tough to Be a Bug freaked her out. :confused3

sarahlovesmickey said:
My son was 3 when he went on it and he LOVED it!! He wasn't scared at all. You know your kids better than anyone. It is dark and the dinosaurs are very real looking. If you don't think that will scare them, then I say go for it!!

I too took my 3 yo now 8 and he LOVED IT. He also loved BIg Thunder Railroad. I really think it depends on your child. My now 3 1/2 year loves all rides and he will probably love Dinosaur. He doesn't scare easily. But you know your child best.

Mermaid4me :cloud9:

Poly Apr 06
CR 05
ASMO 99
Offsite 86
CR 79

I feared nightmares after but we were ok. It isn't the dinosaurs themselves it is just how loud it is that makes it scary. When we go back we won't do it again.

So, I would say it depends upon how sensitive your kids are to very loud noises.

Another one whose 4 and 5 year old boys loved it. We don't prepare our boys at all, it makes the younger one nervous. He's okay if you just do it, it's the thinking of it that freaks him out. Good luck!

Like the others said, it is impossible to say whether or not it will scare your kids because we don't know your kids. We went in Dec. and my 5 yo really liked it. He wants to ride it when we go back in Nov. I will not, however, let my middle ds ride it when we go. He will be 4 yo and I know for a fact that he just wouldn't be able to handle it. It all depends on your child and how easily they are scared.

In most of my travel guides they mention it is scary. You really have to make the call of this. Each child is different. I have 2 boys aged 6 and 3. I would never take my 3 year old because I know what he is like - he is terrified of monsters, etc. Others may find their 3 year olds could handle it. My 6 year old is very mature and knows that it is all make believe and tech. magic. I still think he will get a little scared but he will just hang on to his mama!

I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat of someone else's. We took our DS4 on this because he loves Dinosaurs and I have never regretted something more. I hope we haven't traumatized him forever. He was truly terrified. Just warning you that it is extremely intense and liking dinoaurs may not be reason enough to take him on it. Just food for thought. I wouldn't want you to feel like I did afterward. :rolleyes:

My middle son would go on, but every picture had him hiding his head under my arm when you see the big dino! His younger brother was not scared at all. I wouldn't judge it by what movies your son can tolerate, though, as this is more realistic. I agree with the poster who said check it out yourself first.

Just realize this ride is not based on the Disney dinosaur movie, it's more like Jurassic Park where the dinos are mean and trying to get you! I think a lot of first timers are confused by that and think the dinos will be cute and friendly, not so! The ride is very dark, parts are in total darkness and the jeep thing is constantly jerking around and the noise level is beyond loud. Many chilren are sensitive to loud noises and this ride can terrify them. Of all the rides in WDW, you will see more crying, scared children here than anywhere else. You just have to make your own decision based on how your kids re-act to instense situations, loud noises, darkness, etc. My son rode beginning at 4, but then did not want to ride the last couple of trips to AK.

*I* was scared on Dinosaur! LOL. But seriously, my 7 year old freaked out on the ride. And she did Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster, etc. with joy. I think parents should make their own calls, but know going in that it IS very, very frightening.

My son was 2 months shy of his 6th birthday when we visited last June. He and I rode Dinosaur together. He handles many rides well, but Dinosaur was too much for him. I honestly don't think the ride itself was the thing that tipped the scale. What got to him was being in a car with several others who were absolutely screaming at the top of their lungs throughout the entire ride. I don't know how common that is, but that was very frightening for him. It didn't ruin the trip or anything, but it was enough for us to say that we were going to go see Festival of the Lion King and then call it a day. As others have said, you're the only one who can guage your child's response, but take the possibility of other screaming people into consideration as well as the ride itself.

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster who said to ride it first by yourself. That's really the only way you're going to know exactly what it's like, and this is definitely a ride that MIGHT really scare a child.

I dragged my DW, DS5 and DD4 on the ride last year. They kept their heads down for most of the ride and when we got off, they said they were terrified. You can imagine the stare I got from my DW! Then, in the car going back to POFQ, I asked them what their favorite ride that day ... you guessed it, "DINOSAUR!"

So, I'm dragging them on it again this year when we go!

Only Three More Months!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm sure my 6 year old will be fine. He's seen the clips from the Disney Vacation Video and Travel Channel shows. So I think if I prepare him ahead of time for the noises and Dinosaurs jumping out in front of him, he will do fine. Not to mention he's got the Jurassic Park Trilogy and seen them all a hundred times and it doesn't bother him. :rolleyes1 But I think I will hold off on my 4 year old. Unless he's really begging to get on. I have a feeling if my oldest goes on my youngest will want to follow. :sad2: Guess we'll see how they do on the other rides throughout the parks too. We are doing AK on the 3rd or 4th day. Thanks for the insite though. Gives us something to think about before we go.

the main thing is it is LOUD and very very JERKY...but I kinda told my dd that is was not too bad (she was 5) and in all honesty I did not know how the ride would really be....she just hid her head when she was afraid...I just asked her and she said she would ride it again but to tell your kids that if they get scared just hide their heads!!! :thumbsup2

Maybe I am in the minority, but I went on this with my 4 and 7 year old. None of us liked it. The 4 year old was a little scared but got over it quickly. My 7 year old and I found the loudness just annoying.

Next to Stitch, it was my least favorite attraction (that I experienced) in Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter