Dinosaur ride at A.K, what sort of ride is it, how scary??

This ride terrrifed my children (DD9,DD10,DD13). It is the only ride in WDW that they dislike. This very much surprised me since they love thrill rides (TOT, RNRC, all IOA rides) But they hated this ride. The picture they take at the end was hysterical - one was hiding her head between her legs, one had their face buried in my shoulder, and the third was covering her ears and screaming! I didn't have any problems with the ride. Just wanted to let you know that even bigger kids may get scared on this ride!

We rode it last week (twice) for first time. I dont do rollercoasters and have to watch my back. I wanted to try it tho. It was jerky, but not a motion sickness sensation like a roller coaster. Ive ridden BTMR before and managed it---this year I hated it. Dinosaur is jerky but its biggest parts are the sounds and dinosaurs. I cannot believe anyone would take a small child on this ride. I have to say I didnt see any freaking out, it was pretty dang scary. I cant imagine a small kid not being terrified, but....It was fun and I would do it again. No motion sickness issues--but back jarring jerking. And loud. And scary. Did I mention it was scary?

This is my DD12's favourite ride (since she was 7) we love it!! we go on it over and over, The Dinosaur you are looking for is a sweet Iguanadon (like from the movie Dinosaur)

You get him from the past and travel back to the present time on a successful mission. I love the Security video after the ride of the Iguanadon walking around the facility :rotfl:

This ride was the worst experience for us when we went. My son (8) and I (28) were terrified. Perhaps it was because we were all alone in the jeep. (first family to ride got the whole thing to themselves) but I don't think even with a car full of other people I would do this again. I think I saw maybe 5 seconds of the whole thing. The rest of the time we were huddled together for dear life. It is VERY jerky and bumpy.
I say try it once, if you hate it you do not have to go again, but it can't hurt to give it a shot. Good luck and have fun!

Robo said:
We need to establish what is "scary" and then go from there.

I personally am not "scared" of theme-park rides.

I am going to have to bookmark this post and quote it anytime someone posts another "Is ____ a scary ride?".

Nice work.

NewEnglandDisney said:
Although Robo is completely correct in saying it's not a roller coaster, that's how my mom described the feeling, regarding the sharp turns.

IMO, it's not a very good description. Roller Coasters have a sense of forward momentum, and while you may be banking, or turning, on most, you aren't suddenly jerked one direction or another. Also, Dinosaur has motion that simulates being stuck in one place and sliding around.

As much as i dont like this ride, this is Animals Kingdoms second best ride, behind everest. The ride was jerky, and a few big random suprises. It like juraasic park, excep this ride is in the dark no water. It is also very loud when you are on the ride.

The CM out front explained it to me as:

"A SERIOUSLY bumpy Jeep ride, much of being in the dark, with "things" sort of jumping out at your vehicle."

I'm not a thrill-rider at all. I can't do coasters, anything with a big drop (POTC is as far as I can drop), and Soarin makes me nauseous (simulators). I have no troubles on Dinosaur.

However, the jerking took quite the toll on DH's back. Never had any back trouble he knew of until he went on it in February. He needs to see an orthopedic surgeon since the ride appears to have awakened something going on in his back that just isn't getting better :(

All the docs and therapists get quite a laugh when DH tells them the "mechanism of injury," tho, LOL.

My friend and I took her god-daughter6 and niece8, and we all loved it and laughed. It was scary, but in a good way to us. Then my friend took her 2 nephews 3&5 on it a couple years later (as their first ride in the parks :rolleyes1 ), and they were terrified and spent the rest of trip afraid to go on rides, especially dark ones. I'm gonna take my niece5 and nephew5 this year and my plan is only take them on Dinosaur later in the week, after I gauge their reactions to other rides. So, maybe keep that in mind if you have kids....build them up to it, have fun! :goodvibes

sarah4770 said:
I think dinosaur is the only ride at wdw I would never do again. When they take your picture during the ride, My head was buried in my teen son's shoulder! I hated this ride. I really did.

I practically did the same thing to our DS4 (who loved the ride btw). I leaned over so much so that the picture only had DH and me (covering my ears). Our DS could not be seen with me in Practically in his lap :)

I kinda liked it, but I just didn't like the loudness of the ride. A little too much on my ears.

"No motion sickness issues--but back jarring jerking"

Thanks, Aviva!

That's all I wanted to know! :thumbsup2

I won't ride Disnosaur again either, but for a different reason: DH and I think it's the lamest (is lamest a word?) ride at WDW. I think we had built it up too much by everyone saying how scary it was. Then we rode it...and wondered where the scary part was? :confused3 Maybe if it had been a terrifying T-Rex (like the Jurassic Park ride at Univ.Studios), I would have been sold on it. So, in my opinion: not scary. Just a way to pass the time.

The only similarity this ride has to Indiana Jones is the ride vehicle and hydraulics. Indy is an amazing ride!! :banana:

orljustin said:
IMO, it's not a very good description. Roller Coasters have a sense of forward momentum, and while you may be banking, or turning, on most, you aren't suddenly jerked one direction or another. Also, Dinosaur has motion that simulates being stuck in one place and sliding around.

I said that is how my mom described the feeling the ride induced in her. She compared it to Space Mountain. I never said Dinosaur didn't have "motion that simulates being stuck" (irrelevant to how the ride overall makes you FEEL), or that it was a roller coaster. Please go back and read my original post where I went out of my way to specify this.

However, Dinosaur certainly has forward momentum (slowing down, starting up, whipping around corners), and like Space Mountain there are lots of quick turns where you bank one way, then another and you cannot tell which direction you are going next. It also simulates speed, which, in the dark, coupled with the motion simulator aspects, does produce some "roller coaster" type feelings.

So while you may not agree with the description, I really don't think you can say someone is describing their experience isn't giving a good description of what the ride makes them FEEL. It is not a roller coaster, but it does have many similarities to Disney coasters that rely on quick turns more than big dips and thrills. Think a bit more abstractly.

NED

NewEnglandDisney said:
Think a bit more abstractly.

Sorry. The constants stops/starts, jerkiness and back and forth motion from the motion-base as well as the movement of the vehicle is nothing (to me) like a roller coaster.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to write there experiences for me. I now know that my DS12 will love to ride this, but my 2 DD's will definately not ride it, it would freak them out, and I don't think they would then ever ride anything else for the whole trip. So thank-you to everyone for there desciptions, I know everyone is different about what is scary and whats not, but I just think that the word gives everyone a good description of what we are asking. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

It's a fun ride, but as others have said, it is probably the LOUDEST ride I've ever been on. The decibel level was way beyond what I was expecting ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter