Dinning with kids not on reservation

Mvtracey

Earning My Ears
So i'm going to wdw dec 26-jan7 and have a studio booked for most of the trip , as my kids are 4,6,8 and thats what we had points for ....so question is I have 2 kids on my reservation if i choose to do the dinning plan can I add a kid not on the reservation or will I have have to pay out of pocket each time we go to a restaurant ??
has anyone ever encountered this??? I know disney will not provide me with anything extra for the child in the room , but its a bit of grey area with small kids and dinning ?? Thank you for your Knowledge!

Are there 3 children and 1 adult? If so, you don't have a problem. You can add all 4 of you to the reservation and add the dining plan as well.

If there are 2 adults and 3 children, you need to be in one of the studios that officially sleeps 5. That would be VWL, Poly, BCV, BWV & VGF. (The "provide for the 5th person on your own" applies only to certain 1 bedroom villas and not to any of the studios). If you are booked into one of those resorts, you don't have a problem. You can add all 5 of you to the reservation and all to the dining plan.

If there are 2 adults and 3 children but you are booked into a studio at OKW, SSR, AKV or BLT, you do have a problem. If the 5th person is not on the reservation, that person will not be able to use a MB to enter the room, will not be able to use DME, will not be able to make advance FP+ reservations and cannot be on the dining plan.

If you are asking if you can use dining plan credits to pay for more children than the number of children on your reservation, I really do not know the current rules. If no one here knows for sure (rules have recently changed), you might try asking on the Disney Dining Plan Board.

If you're asking if you can share your meals, yes you can.....however, that only works at regular TS meals and QS meals. Not buffets or character meals.

my kids are 4,6,8
I have 2 kids on my reservation
If you have three children but only listed two on the reservation, you're going to have a lot of other problems.

As for the dining plan issue, you should check out the dining plan forum. I'm under the impression that you can use more credits at a single meal than there are people on the plan, but you're going to run out of children's credits very quickly. And those credits are what make the dining plan worthwhile.

I am confused. Are the 3 children on the room ressie? All on the ressie must purchase a dining plan. You can use your credits as you wish. You can use credits to pay for a meal for someone not on the r

If your child is not on the reservation, you will not be ale to link them to your reservation, they will not be able to use DME, get a magic band and not have access to fast pass+ and you won't be able to associate their park pass.

Thank you for the info , we are staying SSR , and do not have all three on the reservation only 2 kids 2 adults , i understand that i will not be able to fast passes till 3o days out and not the 60 , and they will not have a magic band but we have yearly pass so got that one covered...Thank you for all the info , I don't think we will be able to do dinning on this one , unles me move ,and there are no other resorts available that week , THANK YOU all

If you go often, you might look at the Tables in Wonderland card. Saves about 20% on table service meals and a few counter service locations.

Thank you for the info , we are staying SSR , and do not have all three on the reservation only 2 kids 2 adults , i understand that i will not be able to fast passes till 3o days out and not the 60 , and they will not have a magic band but we have yearly pass so got that one covered...Thank you for all the info , I don't think we will be able to do dinning on this one , unles me move ,and there are no other resorts available that week , THANK YOU all
You should also understand that if you get caught over the occupancy limit, you may end up with no room at all.

Are there 3 children and 1 adult? If so, you don't have a problem. You can add all 4 of you to the reservation and add the dining plan as well.

If there are 2 adults and 3 children, you need to be in one of the studios that officially sleeps 5. That would be VWL, Poly, BCV, BWV & VGF. (The "provide for the 5th person on your own" applies only to certain 1 bedroom villas and not to any of the studios). If you are booked into one of those resorts, you don't have a problem. You can add all 5 of you to the reservation and all to the dining plan.

If there are 2 adults and 3 children but you are booked into a studio at OKW, SSR, AKV or BLT, you do have a problem. If the 5th person is not on the reservation, that person will not be able to use a MB to enter the room, will not be able to use DME, will not be able to make advance FP+ reservations and cannot be on the dining plan.

If you are asking if you can use dining plan credits to pay for more children than the number of children on your reservation, I really do not know the current rules. If no one here knows for sure (rules have recently changed), you might try asking on the Disney Dining Plan Board.

If your child is not on the reservation, you will not be ale to link them to your reservation, they will not be able to use DME, get a magic band and not have access to fast pass+ and you won't be able to associate their park pass.

Folks... Fast Pass has nothing to do with rooms except for allowing you to book a little earlier. As long as the extra child has a ticket you can get him/her a Fast Pass and he/she can have a Magic Band tied to it. You just won't get one when you check in, but if you are like me the kid probably already has a few.

Dining, Magical Express, Early Entry are all more problematic. Probably the CM is going to let you in with the extra kid for Early Entry

(And does anyone know of anyone who was thrown out for being over the limit? I have never heard of it!)

Also, before you go TIW check the blackout dates I expect you are hitting some of them.

Since you quoted my post -

I did say "advance" FP+ reservations. Perhaps that should have said "60 day advance". However, given that it's hard to even get a time , let alone a specific time, for the more popular FP+ reservations at 30 days, I see that as a disadvantage and something to be considered when putting more guests in a room than the occupancy limits permit. YMMV.

FWIW, I do recall reports of guests being asked to leave or move to a more expensive/larger room when the guests were found to be over the occupancy limits. Since I didn't personally witness such an event, I can't speak for the veracity of the report. However, it's certainly within Disney's discretion to ask such guests to leave, even if they choose not to exercise that discretion very often.

And again, FWIW,, I have personally seen guests turned away from EMH if they did not have a valid resort key/ID.

Last edited:
(And does anyone know of anyone who was thrown out for being over the limit? I have never heard of it!)
People tend not to post about their own embarrassing experiences. Occupancy limits are based on fire code. If they catch you, they will kick you out. They don't really have a choice in the matter. I've seen one or two times that it's been reported, but, like I said, most people don't brag about getting caught, and there's little use in complaining about it.

You know they won't be allowed to use Magical Express, or be allowed into the parks for Extra Magic Hours, right? And I'm not sure what grey area you are talking about, either someone is listed on the room reservation or they are not. They can either use the perks of an official guest, or if they are unlisted they cannot.

Not to mention coming on a Disney board and pretty much boasting about how you are not paying what you should for a reservation is not a great plan. One of the rules of the Disboards is to not help others break any of Disney's rules and regulations. The best thing to do, and what you should do, if make a reservation that accommodates all of you, not just some of you. Otherwise you run the risk of being kicked out, and forfeiting any money paid.

There is no "grey area." The child is not listed on the reservation. And yes, Disney will absolutely cancel your room if you are found to be over the occupancy limit. It's the fire code - CMs have NO discretion when it comes to occupancy limits. SIL is a CM and has told us numerous stories of going with security to evict people from hotel rooms for being over the limit. She also has some great stories of how people have trashed their rooms and other outrageous behavior!

People tend not to post about their own embarrassing experiences. Occupancy limits are based on fire code. If they catch you, they will kick you out. They don't really have a choice in the matter. I've seen one or two times that it's been reported, but, like I said, most people don't brag about getting caught, and there's little use in complaining about it.

While the fire code may come into play, IMO the limits are business related. Disney/DVD has decided that studios make them the most money so they increased the occupancy to 5. Existing studios are also being changed to 5 with the addition of a fold down bed.

Yesterday the code was 4 and today it's 5, doesn't seem like a code restriction.

:earsboy: Bill

While the fire code may come into play, IMO the limits are business related. Disney/DVD has decided that studios make them the most money so they increased the occupancy to 5. Existing studios are also being changed to 5 with the addition of a fold down bed.

Yesterday the code was 4 and today it's 5, doesn't seem like a code restriction.

:earsboy: Bill

The code takes into account more than the characteristics of each room. Not that it really matters here. The OP is over the limit for their room type. It doesn't matter why the limit is what it is.

Whether it's fire code or a business decision doesn't really matter: if you are found to be over-occupancy, you may well be asked to leave.

Yeah, I've seen a number of reports on the Resorts board from those who've witnessed guests being booted for being over occupancy. It does happen. I have no idea how frequently it happens, but it does. They also have been known to require you to pay for a second room, or a room that fits your group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter