Dinner suggestions for first night at WDW? Disney springs

maple_milly

Earning My Ears
First time ever at WDW, family of 4 from Canada (2 adults, son is 11, daughter is 8).

We will be arriving on a Saturday in March (about 5pm), so i figure it will take about 2 hours to WDW via magic bus to wilderness lodge? Don’t think we will head to a park getting in that late. Lots of people suggested going to Disney Springs, which we are thinking of doing. So i am thinking another 30-60 mins to disney springs via bus (makes it approx 8pm)?

Currently, i have an ADR for Raglund Road at 8:30pm, but I think I better cancel it (in case of travel delays) and just wing it? Originally we had ADR at 8:30pm at Morimoto Asia but cancelled due to cost and it being a long dining experience on a travel day. Don’t want to be charged if we don’t make it in time. Right now i am really leaning towards winging it but please offer any suggestions based on your experience. We don’t really have an appreciation for how long it takes to get around. No car, so just using WDW transportation.

Will it be hard to get dining if we just wing it? Any suggestions for “walk up” places at Disney Springs? It will be our first meal at WDW! Or should we just forget disney springs and stay at wilderness lodge to eat? Don’t think we will get any other chance to go to disney springs.

Your input is appreciated!

For a 'kid-friendly' place, I'd recommend T-Rex. Fun atmosphere. Standard fare. Reasonable prices (for Disney). For a more adult kind of place, I'd recommend Frontera Cocina, Art Smith's Homecomin', or Boathouse.

You're better off having a reservation if you want to dine in a full service restaurant anywhere on Disney property. There are times that walk up reservations are available at Disney Springs or at the resorts (it's rare in the parks), but if you want to be sure you'll get in, you really want to have a reservation. I wouldn't want that uncertainty, especially with kids in tow when you've spent all day traveling. I have had several occasions when we realized that we couldn't make it to an ADR after the official cancellation period had passed. I called the restaurant and explained and they were more than happy to cancel the reservation and not charge us the fee. Other posters have shared similar stories. As long as you contact the restaurant instead of just failing to show up, I feel confident that you'll be okay.

Edited to add:
A previous poster mentions T-Rex, Homecomin', and the Boathouse. I would definitely not expect any of those to be taking walk ups, especially on a Saturday night.

OP- you also ask:
"should we just forget disney springs and stay at wilderness lodge to eat? "
After traveling all day, that would be my family's preference, but you know your family best. HOWEVER, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to get into Whispering Canyon or Storybook Dining at Artist Point without a reservation.

Last edited:
First time ever at WDW, family of 4 from Canada (2 adults, son is 11, daughter is 8).

We will be arriving on a Saturday in March (about 5pm), so i figure it will take about 2 hours to WDW via magic bus to wilderness lodge? Don’t think we will head to a park getting in that late. Lots of people suggested going to Disney Springs, which we are thinking of doing. So i am thinking another 30-60 mins to disney springs via bus (makes it approx 8pm)?

Currently, i have an ADR for Raglund Road at 8:30pm, but I think I better cancel it (in case of travel delays) and just wing it? Originally we had ADR at 8:30pm at Morimoto Asia but cancelled due to cost and it being a long dining experience on a travel day. Don’t want to be charged if we don’t make it in time. Right now i am really leaning towards winging it but please offer any suggestions based on your experience. We don’t really have an appreciation for how long it takes to get around. No car, so just using WDW transportation.

Will it be hard to get dining if we just wing it? Any suggestions for “walk up” places at Disney Springs? It will be our first meal at WDW! Or should we just forget disney springs and stay at wilderness lodge to eat? Don’t think we will get any other chance to go to disney springs.

Your input is appreciated!
If it were me I’d do something closer to your resort or at your resort. Trails end next door to you at fort wilderness is a great option or even at the resort with whispering canyon cafe and geyser point. Not sure if you planned on eating at your resort during your stay but a travel day would be the best day to take advantage of it, especially when you consider the time it takes to move around WDW on the bus system.

Does your family normally eat that late? An 8 or 8:30 pm adr wouldn't fly with the kids in my family, and there's always a chance for delays that could make it even later. I think I'd get to WL and find something to eat there.

I would check in, grab something to eat, explore your resort and relax. If you feel up to heading to DS, I’d just go for an hour or two. Walk around, maybe grab a snack. If you don’t get to DS, no big deal.

With kids that young and it being as late as it is you might even be better off just grabbing something at the airport before you even get to your resort. Relax when you arrive check out the resort and start the next day fresh.

If it were me, I’d go to Geyser Point. Have a nice cocktail and get some food with no traveling or needing an ADR. Plus, you can start to get a feel for the resort you’re staying at...and maybe even catch a glimpse of HEA from there.

After flying from Canada and arriving so late in the day, I would not recommend going all the way to DS to eat dinner. It sounds exhausting. WL is a GORGEOUS resort. I would enjoy your evening there and, as others have recommended, get something to eat at Geyser Point (which is so lovely), Roaring Forks (QS with indoor or outdoor seating - the outdoor seating is very nice!) or Territory Lounge. You could watch the Electric Water Pageant from there, see the higher fireworks from HEA and even ask the front desk for the printout which has the descriptions of all the totem poles and artifacts in the lobby. Visit the gift shop and even walk to the building next door (Boulder Ridge Villas) and see some of Walt's backyard train cars in the sitting room there.

I vote for just staying at the resort, having dinner there and then unpacking and settling in. Especially if you are planning an early park day the next morning, it is essential that everyone be rested and ready to hit the ground running. Hopefully you can fit in Disney Springs on another day or evening.

Another vote to stay at the resort. You will definitely not feel like you are missing anything.

I tend to agree with PPs that having dinner at Wilderness Lodge isn't a bad choice. We love Whispering Canyon.

Disney Springs on a Saturday night is usually very busy. I would expect the quick servicing dining options to be packed, and I would expect it to be difficult to get a last minute dining reservation. We did this back in October and the only TS option available was the Planet Hollywood Observatory, which was fine, but not something I'd want to make a special trip to DS for.

I think your timing estimates are fair. You could always make a TS reservation for 8:30-9pm, and then check-in for it if you arrive earlier. The worst that can happen is that you have to return to check-in at the time of your reservation if you don't allow you to do it earlier. We haven't really had a problem with that though. If you encounter some kind of travel delay and have to miss the ADR, you would be subject to the $10pp cancellation penalty. Disney has been known to waive the fee if you call in and plead your case, but its not something that can be relied on.

I also suggest sticking around the resort, or even going to Trail's End or taking the boat to the Contemporary or even then taking the monorail to another resort, much less travel time than a bus.....

In regard to the $10 cancellation/no show fee, you could always rebook it for a future date and then cancel that, but also you could look at MDE when you are on Magical Express and see what might be available last minute.

Hello fellow Canuck..here from the GTA. We are down the same time as you. 1st time coming will be overwhelming and trying to get around DS first night after travel...not hard but why even stress a little. So as others have said try Whispering and since your late arrival you might be able to do a walk up. I would take the nice boat ride to Trails End. Great cost buffett that will fill you up and then take boat back. Timed right you might see the firewirks while on the boat. If lucky. Then relax and get ready for the next day.

For a table service, The Boathouse! But if you're just looking for something easy and inexpensive to fill the tummy, then we love Earl of Sandwich.

Stay at the Wilderness lodge and eat dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe... Eat a nice dinner and then walk to the beach and watch the fireworks

Wilderness has good options if you can get in there. Going to DS after a long trip on a weekend will be tiring and long both ways. While you may get a walk up you will wait as DS is busy on a weekend. You could also do something quick at Roaring Forks and relax in the resort.

Fellow Canadian here :) We are also travelling down in March and will be going to Disney Springs on arrival day but are worried about delays, weather, travelling, etc. I do agree with the other posters about staying in your resort but... if its your only chance to experience Disney Springs, a lot of the Disney springs restaurants are on Open Table and you can make a reservation on there. No punishment for cancelling. We are planning on going to a quick service, Blaze Pizza or Polite Pig, on arrival night to make it stress free in terms of timing.

For a table service, The Boathouse! But if you're just looking for something easy and inexpensive to fill the tummy, then we love Earl of Sandwich.
We love to go to Earl of Sandwich, eat there and then take a few extra sandwiches back to our resort. The plan is always to save them for another meal, but they are so good as a late night snack!

TRex was a two hour wait without reservations when we were there in November so you may have to do counter service if you go to Disney springs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter