Dinner shows -- two dining credits

autismgoesdisney

DIS Veteran
I have a question. For our 2013 trip (obsessive much LOL!), we are thinking of surprising the kids with a dinner show. I know the Poly has a luau and somewhere there is a bbq type thing with the characters? Where is that one?

Which one would you recommend for a 9, 7 and 6 year old???

Also, would our best bet be to use two dining credits on that and then pay OOP for something like the Plaza? I would think that would make the most sense we are on the regular dining plan, not deluxe!

Hoop de Doo Revue.
Totally.

(I like it best of all three anyway, kids or not - but my nephews age 8 and 5 LOVELOVELOVELOVED it. :hyper: )

The luau is a "pass", and while we've enjoyed the Backyard BBQ, it just doesn't compare to the Hoop de Doo.

(The Backyard BBQ is at Fort Wilderness, as is the Hoop de Doo Revue, while the luau is of course at the Polynesian.)

As for "to credit or not to credit" - if it works best for you, do pay with credits. You will likely find that, as your trip goes on, it is easy to share CS meals and end up with a few extra credits to cover that missing meal. Plaza oop is also an inexpensive meal, if you want TS, and especially so if you skip dessert.

My DH and kids (11,7,5 when we went)really enjoyed Hoop de Doo Revue. I though the atmosphere and the food was good. It was one of the highlights of our last trip.

On the other hand, the Luau was not what I have expected. Kids got really bored and the food was not memorable.

It was just so hot being outside compared to nice indoor setting for Hoop de Doo. As for Mickey BBQ, ... I think I want to do once regardless of the review, maybe not in the winter or summer though because if it is outside venue like Poly Luau, the weather affect the experience. I got so sick after sitting in the hot weather through the show. Also you might try to sit in the front row table to get some character interaction for Mickey BBQ.

We were on Deluxe dining and it was so har do use them all. We ended up not using a lot of Meal and Snack points... at least we bought lots of goodies to take home using snack points so it was good.

For 2 points, Nacoossee,Citrico and California Grill, Yachtsman, and Flying Fish were great. Even my kids enjoyed it and the food was great. But honestly, my kids love the character buffet the best, something for everyone!

Also, would our best bet be to use two dining credits on that and then pay OOP for something like the Plaza? I would think that would make the most sense we are on the regular dining plan, not deluxe!

You have to look at the value of the credits.

For Mickey's BYBBQ, its two credits or $54.99 OOP. So its 27.50 per credit used. You could eat much better for those credits.

In other words you have to do the math.

Also check out reviews of the shows. While most would recommend HDDR its less than say 50-50 for the BBQ since its plain burgers and hotdogs and only a so so show.

The western show with characters that you ask about is the Backyard BBQ at Fort Wilderness, As PP stated it gets very mixed reviews. Personally I would not choose it.
On the other hand the Hoop Dee Doo Review is wonderful, in my opinion, but it does NOT have characters. It is a western themed stage show full of singing, dancing and corny jokes. It is good "down home" cooking and we love it for all ages.
I think the ages of your children are perfect.
Happy Planning

Also you might try to sit in the front row table to get some character interaction for Mickey BBQ.

Just so everyone knows, the character interaction here happens regardless of your seat - they all dance with everybody on the floor, although sometimes less-mannered people will try to monopolize Mickey.

They also do meet-and-greet as you come in, so be early for that, but don't sweat the seats too much (there is a little show but it isn't that impressive to worry about sitting up front to see it in HD).

You have to look at the value of the credits.

For Mickey's BYBBQ, its two credits or $54.99 OOP. So its 27.50 per credit used. You could eat much better for those credits.

In other words you have to do the math.

Also check out reviews of the shows. While most would recommend HDDR its less than say 50-50 for the BBQ since its plain burgers and hotdogs and only a so so show.
The math isn't that simple. The dinner shows include tip, so that must be factored in. Also, beer and wine is included, so that must also be cactored in. I find HDDR to be a great use of credits, especially for the late show with Cat 1. I would do the bbq with my 5 yo nephew if that is what he preferred.

The math isn't that simple. The dinner shows include tip, so that must be factored in. Also, beer and wine is included, so that must also be cactored in. I find HDDR to be a great use of credits, especially for the late show with Cat 1. I would do the bbq with my 5 yo nephew if that is what he preferred.

Yes its just that sometimes people don't really look at if they are using their credits wisely. It just looks like sometimes it is cheaper to pay OOP for a 2 credit meal. Just :teacher:

We have done both, and agree that Hoop is the way to go, better food, better show, better service.............plus who can argue with the possibility of your kids watching as you get taken up on stage to play the indian (or other part) in the finale!!!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter