Dinner review of Victoria and Alberts

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
I wonder where I used to go before V&A came to be?? Must have been the Empress Room on the old Empress Lilly. Nice place to be sure--but it really wasn't on a par with V&A. We've been going to V&A since 1988 and it's always our first reservation we make each trip. To say it's a tradition would be something of an understatement ;)
It's always kind of neat after we valet park at the Grand Floridian (V&A will validate the receipt, so parking's free) walking thru the GF lobby, dressed up and heading for the restaurant. Once there we we're greeted warmly by Maitre D' hotel Israel Perez, and then led to our table, where we were pleased to once again have Nancy as our server. Of course that wasn't plain good luck-we request her every time (we do that when we call to verify our reservations). If you dine at V&A and have her as a server, be sure to mention that Uncleromulus sent you!!
Our meal got off to it's customary good start with the Amuse Bouche (little bite) and a glass of champagne. This night it was a small piece of sushi-grade tuna and quite tasty. We decided (as usual) on the wine pairings with dinner--and before I continue, I think for this review I won't mention the exact wine we had with each and every course. Just know that the pairings were "just right" and on several occasions Israel came to our table to explain the selection.
The menu the night we dined was especially good and several close decisions had to be made.
We started with our "cold" appetizers--I had Smoked Colorado Buffalo with Holland Tomatoes and Costa Rican Hearts of Palm, while Mrs U ordered the Peeky Toe Crab with Fresh Gulf Shrimp, with Petite French Green lentils. Next up was the "warm" appetizer--for me, Poulet Rouge with Wild mushroom ragout, truffled egg, and morels. For Mrs U ,it was Serrano ham and Gruyere Cheese with Root vegetable Flan. All 4 received a rating of excellent from the both of us.
Next up was the fish course. My selection was Maine Halibut with Cipollini Onions Florida Corn and Asparagus. Mrs U had the Diver Scallop with Roasted fennel, Braised Artichokes, and Bood Oranges. Also available was Montery Abalone, for an additional $25. I was tempted (after reading several other V&A reviews that thought the Abalone was excellent), but was waiting to play my "extra" card with the entrees. Where the "extra" was Kobe Beef!!
Now you might wonder why anyone would want to pay "extra" for an entree when the meal itself is VERY expensive to start with. A fair question and I'm not sure why I did it myself. I always wanted to try Kobe beef (never had it before), plus which we were using the DDE card, so there was some discount on the whole menu no matter what we ordered. So I made the decision and am glad I did!!
There were 3 "regular" entrees available that evening--Elk Tenderloin with Rainbow Marble Potatoes and Romanesco; Colorado lamb En Croute with Swiss Chard and Butternut Squash; and Grilled Prime Angus beef with a Gorgonzola Potato Crouton and Port Wine Jus. And the "extra" entree--Duet of Australian Kobe Beef Tenderloin and Short Ribs. For an additional $25.
Mrs U went for the Grilled Prime Angus Beef. Cooked medium rare, it was perfectly tender and the Port Wine Jus added just the right taste. The Kobe Beef was spectacular. Could have cut it with a butter knife and it just melted in your mouth. The Short Ribs were tasty as well--but a rather small portion (even by V&A standards). I found myself wanting a bit more of those----.

Unlike the "old days" at V&A, you now have choice of palate cleansers--you can have cheese, or you can have sorbet (or on this night, Gelato). We both had the cheese, which was Comte Saint Antoine, Humboldt Fog, and Epoisses. Good cheese and served with a very good "port-like" wine (Achaia Clauss Mavrodaphne of Patros Greece).

Last but not least were desserts and we did what we ALWAYS do at V&A--had the souffles. They've both been on the menu for years now and we wouldn't even think of having anything else. Mine was a Grand Mariner Souffle' and Mrs U had the Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle'. We enjoyed both while drinking that fine celebes coffee they "entertainingly" serve in those special vacuum coffee makers.

So another fine V&A meal under our belts as we (slowly!) walked away from the restaurant at 8:45--almost exactly 2 and 1/2 hours after we arrived at 6:15. Will we be going back in September?? Please!! I've already made those reservations :) :)

Thanks for posting the review. We are dining there for the first time in October for our wedding anniversay and are so excited. Maria

Another great review. I've been looking forward to this one.

Good for you to already have September lined up! :thumbsup2

Oh, I so want to dine there someday.... thanks for letting me live vicariously through you =)

Excellent review again, Uncleromulus! It's so obvious how much you enjoy dining and especially at V&A.
Ah yes, the Kobe beef. Last summer my husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in Hawaii. We were staying at Halekulani, and dined at their very classy restaurant, Le Mer. My husband ordered the chef's menu that evening and his main course was Kobe beef. This was his first time trying it, and it was outstanding (I had a small bite, because he really wasn't into sharing this course). Just as you said, it was spectacular. Never had beef so tender and flavorful.
Now I'm trying to convince him to try V&A during our next trip. We've never been and I'd love to try it.

Debbie

Wow! I'm almost breathless just reading the review! It sounds as though V&A is as special as it is supposed to be, but I'm filing away your review with those good tips in Israel and Nancy as that is probably as big a part of the meal as is the food! Have you posted any pictures of this meal or would taking them be considered gauche?

Alan :thumbsup2

Thanks so much! I'm planning my first trip to V&A in December. Question: Chef's Table or dining room? Any problem getting reservations at the 180 day mark?

Donaldtutter: Yes. It was worth the money that once. I don't think I'd make a habit of it though.
Alan The foodie:
I've seen any # of posts where folks have taken food pics at V&A. For me, I'm embarassed to admit that I haven't a clue as to how to get a pic onto a thread--I have no idea about "pixel" sizes, file extensions, jpg, ete etc. I'd need someone to actually sit down with me at the computer to show me how it's done.
Daddy Brady:
First trip I'd recommend just the dining room. If you really like it and want to go back, then try the Chef's table. No problem with ressies 180 days out. Keep in mind also that they have tWO seatings at V&A and almost always the second seating will have room even if the earlier seatings are all booked. But it's not a large restaurant, so I would make reservations just as soon as you are sure of date and time.

Hey Uncleromulus: your review sounded Mouth-Watering! I wish I was there! :teleport: Have you ever had a chance to eat at the chef's table? Is it much different from the restaurant it's self? is it worth the money in your opinion?

I have to agree with Uncleromulus, the kobe beef was worth the extra $25. My DH and I went to V&A on our 16th anniversary this past February. I am not a beef eater, especially steak of any kind. Just won't eat it. But when I saw the kobe beef offering, I had heard of it before and just had to try it. OMG!! My mouth waters just thinking about it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Long, convoluted question, Unc (or whoever wants to weigh in):

I am all about adventures in eating, and I fondly remember the old Empress Room, the first gourmet meal I'd eve experienced. Ditto some other departed WDW restaurants - the Gulf Coast Room at the Contemporary, the Lake Buena Vista Club, etc.

So I'd be estatic over V&A's. I keep saying, "One day." The problem, God bless her, is DW, who is a pretty basic eater, altho she'll tell you that "I can always find something to eat." She can't eat seafood, too many sauces give her fits ... she's good about trying different things, but she's still a meat & taters fan. I guess you can't help how your taste buds are wired.

I know she'd be willing to try V&A with me, just to humor me. But I don't want her to just tolerate a meal. I'd want it to be as special for her as it would be for me.

So, the question: Have any of you any first hand experience about how accomodating the chef is with picky eaters? I'd hate for him to be insulted, and I'm sure they get all kinds of eaters there. I know at that level of preparation and service, most restaurants will go to great lengths to assure a great experience. I'm sure V&A is no different. Perhaps I just need a little more assurance before making all this happen for us. Just don't specuate ... I need just the facts, ma'am. ;)

Dreamfinder2: I know how your DW feels! I was raised in a German family from Michigan and much of the food is bland there. I have never been a sauce person either so when I go to restaurants like V/A I ask if they could "modify" my meal. Hey, it can't hurt! my DH is the kind of person that will eat ANYTHING, and I do mean ANYTHING! :rotfl2: I have to admit over the years that I've gotten better about trying things though. If you decide to try V/A I'm sure that there will be something that your DW will like. HAVE FUN!

Thanks for the review Uncle R. I always appreciate your appraisal of WDW restuarants. I imagine that if we met we could spend several hours discussing food. :earsboy:

Thanks Uncle! You're almost making me want to try V&A's... :thumbsup2

About the Kobe beef, do you know if it's American Kobe (note: I don't know for a fact that Japanese Kobe is even available in the US)?
pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter