Dinner Reservations for DDP

taivensmom

Earning My Ears
This being by first post, please bare with me.....

We are traveling to Disney 11/15-11/23. We arrive late on the 15, so we wont use any credits on that day. This is our first time doing the dinning plan, so we ususally just grab a lot of quick service meals. This time we are taking our kids for the first time, and we really wanted it to be magical. Here is my dinning reservations for the week. I'm worried that I might be missing out on a better place to eat, or have something on here, that really isn't worth going to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Fri-11/16 Dinner @ Chef Mickeys

Sat-11/17 Lunch @ Hollywood and Vine

Sun-11/18 Dinner @ T-Rex

Mon-11/19 Lunch @ Coral Reef

Tues-11/20 B'fast @ Crystal Palace

Wed-11/21 Dinner @ Spirit of Aloha

Thur-11/22 Lunch @ Tusker House

Thanks is advance!!:earboy2:

You don't say how old your kids are, but you do have some popular restaurants on your list. I have never been myself, but Spirit of Aloha does not get very good reviews. Most report mediocre food and a poor use of two credits. Keep reading the reviews and menus. Planning is part of the fun!

Have a great trip!

oops, sorry, I thought I had it in my signature, but it nothing shows up. I will have to try that again.

The kids are 6 and 2

We enjoyed spirit of aloha (LILO and stitch type of Hawaii as opposed to authentic Hawaii). We go to Crystal Palace everytime, did not enjoy Chef Mickeys but worth trying once. We enjoy Tusker house Breakfast with Donald and will be doing it again :) looks like a good plan to me

I have heard that chef mickeys is only good for the experience, not the food. Which is fine by me. I figured with the kids being as young as they are, they would love it more than us, which is what chef mickey is really about in my opinion. It will be our one and only time there.
I'm kind of worried about the spirit of aloha now though.......hmmmmmm

Chef Mickey food is just OK. Its the experience. Are all of these dinner, breakfast, or lunch? We have found food quality better for breakfast for the character meals. 1900 Park Fare is at GF and could be a suitable replacement for Spirit of Aloha. Food again is OK, but characters are good. OHana breakfast is really good too. Everything looks great. I think you picked some good ones.

I was going to comment about Chef Mickey's as well, but I see that you aren't concerned about the quality of the food :scratchin.

I have similar, but stronger, opinions of the food at H&V and Coral Reef. Again, I assume that you know about the strong negative reviews of these places and are only going for the characters/fish tank. So you are forewarned. These are the only 2 restaurants that we will NEVER go to again.

If you are having second thoughts about SOA, then you might seriously consider HDDR instead. Most kids and adults that I know LOVE this dinner show.

We just returned with a 4 year old. He loved breakfast at Chef Mickey's and we thought the food was really good. He also loved breakfast at Hollywood and Vine. Food was good, but not quite as good as Chef Mickeys. We would have loved to go to T Rex but they were out of reservations. Anyone else have an opinion about T Rex?

If you want T-Rex, call them directly. Do not try to reserve them through Disney. They allow only a small fraction of their tables to be reserved through Disney.

We thought the SOA show was overrated and not at all worth 2 credits. The seating was near the back of the theatre for DDP. I don't think your kids would enjoy it at their ages. I think a better choice would be Hoop Dee Doo.

I do love the Crystal Palace. It is beautiful and the food usually doesn't disappoint.

I would keep Chef Mickey's for the experience.

If you're going for magical, try booking La Hacienda de San Angel during Illuminations. They turn the lights down and pump in the sound from the show. It was built for a great view!

Another idea would be Tony's Town Square during the Electric light parade. Amazing if you can sit outside and watch the parade pass.

We are traveling to Disney 11/15-11/23. We arrive late on the 15, so we wont use any credits on that day. This is our first time doing the dinning plan, so we ususally just grab a lot of quick service meals. This time we are taking our kids for the first time, and we really wanted it to be magical. Here is my dinning reservations for the week. I'm worried that I might be missing out on a better place to eat, or have something on here, that really isn't worth going to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Fri-11/16 Dinner @ Chef Mickeys

Sat-11/17 Lunch @ Hollywood and Vine

Sun-11/18 Dinner @ T-Rex

Mon-11/19 Lunch @ Coral Reef

Tues-11/20 B'fast @ Crystal Palace

Wed-11/21 Dinner @ Spirit of Aloha

Thur-11/22 Lunch @ Tusker House

We (me, DH, DS13, DD9) will be traveling to WDW for the exact same days and it looks like we will be eating at a couple of the same places on the same days as well. For example lunch at Coral Reef on the 11/19 and lunch at Tusker's for Thanksgiving!

I know that Coral Reef is not rated very well, but I had each child pick out a place they wanted to eat and my DD really wants to eat with the fishes swimming around her, so the food doesn't really matter as long as it is edible.

If you want T-Rex, call them directly. Do not try to reserve them through Disney. They allow only a small fraction of their tables to be reserved through Disney.

THIS!! I was really bummed about trying for a reservations online, and decided to just call them directly and BAM! reservations made! We are suprising the kids with this trip, and my son is a HUGE (like really big HUGE) Dinosaur fan! So this will knock his socks off! Then, after I did that, I read about them not holding alot of online reservation spots! So I was glad I called!

I didn't realize that coral reef was that bad in food quality! I may have to look into the La Hacienda then......

Any other suggestions!??

I didn't realize that coral reef was that bad in food quality! I may have to look into the La Hacienda then......

Any other suggestions!??

Hang on. Every restaurant at WDW has people that have had great experiences and people that have had poor experiences. Personally we've had good food at Coral Reef and the atmosphere is unique. If you can get decent Mexican food at home but can't eat in front of a mega-aquarium I would keep Coral Reef.

The only one of your ADRs I would potentially change would be Spirit of Aloha. Remember it is 2 credits while all your other meals are only 1 credit. I'd recommend either that you consider Mickey's Backyard BBQ at Ft. Wilderness or that you try a 1-credit dinner that night and use the "extra" credit for a different meal. Maybe a character breakfast on your departure morning? There are several in resorts (Cape May, 1900PF, Ohana) so you wouldn't need to use a park admission.

My responses . . .

Fri-11/16 Dinner @ Chef Mickeys Haven't eaten here but food generally gets a thumb's down on the Dis and elsewhere. Might be worth it for the Fab 5, however (especially as a way of kicking off your vacation).

Sat-11/17 Lunch @ Hollywood and Vine Same comments as for Chef Mickey's, except I don't believe there are characters at lunch. I'd consider switching to 50's Prime Time.

Sun-11/18 Dinner @ T-Rex Haven't researched or visited any DTD restaurants.

Mon-11/19 Lunch @ Coral Reef Gets very mixed reviews and I'd personally give it a thumb's down based on my experience. Food was very bland and uninspired. I'd recommend switching to Les Chefs (if your kids like Remy) or Via Napoli (if they like pizza).

Tues-11/20 B'fast @ Crystal Palace Recommend this, especially if your kids like Pooh characters. Overall, a nice experience and thought the food and selection were very good for a breakfast buffet.

Wed-11/21 Dinner @ Spirit of Aloha Haven't eaten here but, based on reviews, beleive there are much better uses of 2 TS credits. If you're set on eating in the Polynesian, I'd suggest 'Ohana (if you can luck out on an ADR at this point) or Kona.

Thur-11/22 Lunch @ Tusker House I've only had breakfast here, which I thought was very good. I've generally heard pretty good things about the lunch, however.

We just ate at coral reef on Tuesday for dinner. We have 4 and a 20 month DDs. We were pleasantly surprised by the food. Was it the best stark I've ever had? No but it was good. I made the res against advice on here since my DD4 wanted to "eat with the fishes." we really enjoyed it. Every restaurant in wdw is going to have people who love and hate it. Good luck!

I have heard that chef mickeys is only good for the experience, not the food. Which is fine by me. I figured with the kids being as young as they are, they would love it more than us, which is what chef mickey is really about in my opinion. It will be our one and only time there.
I'm kind of worried about the spirit of aloha now though.......hmmmmmm

Over the past several years I have enjoyed breakfast at Chef Mickeys over dinner. With the exception of the parmesan mashed potatoes, I don't care much for the dinner selections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter