Dinner planning 101 - Help Please!!!

DWDan

Earning My Ears
Planning a 9 night trip to DW in May of 2016 and looking for some guidance from experienced DW'ers about how to plan dinner during each night of the trip. Ideally, I would like to do table service for each night we're there...is that too ambitious? I have a slew of restaurants I'd like to get reservations for (and I plan on being online 180 days prior to the start of the vaca at 6am to book what I can), but I don't want to plan for 9 nights of eating if it doesn't seem reasonable. Maybe it just depends on the family...? This will be 3 adults and a 10 yr old and with 10 days of vacation my hope is that we won't be so busy running from attraction-to-attraction and park-to-park that we'll actually be able to relax some and sit down every night for dinner. Is this what some people do? Thanks in advance!

in 11 trips, all of which being at least 6 days, we've maybe had two days with no reservation. I will keep going from attraction to attraction until I drop. I need a reason to stop, eat, and take a break. I've done 10 night trips with a reservation every day. I think it does depend on the family, but for us, knowing you are going to have a real meal, not just fast food fare, is important. I would make the reservations you want, keep in mind you can cancel 24 hours in advance without penalty, so if you decide something isn't for you, or you just don't think you want to spend the time, not a big deal.

One table service reservation per day is a great plan. With 9 days, you can stretch your park plans around your dining. Please provide more details so we can make tailored suggestions. Where are you staying? 10 year old boy or girl? What are the restaurants you are interested in already?

I have generally always done one TS per day, either lunch or dinner, depending on the day. A couple of times for long days where it was EMH going rope drop with a late close, I would make two TS, since I didn't take a break and go back to the resort. I think it's important to plan a good meal and take a nice break, especially with kids. To get what I have wanted for restaurants, sometimes I have had to be a little flexible with my meal times. Can always keep checking back and see if a better time opens up. For me, it's more important where I eat, vs when I eat.
With 9 days you will have plenty of time to get what you want done.

So we are staying at Poly. The 10 yr old is a girl. Some of the restaurants are Ohana, 50's Prime Time Cafe, Boma, Beach & Cream Soda Shop, Coral Reef, Flying Fish, Liberty Tree, Narcoossee's, Via Napoli. I'm trying to avoid the 'stuffy' places and pick some fun ones mixed with good environment/atmosphere i.e. Coral Reef

Epcot seems to have so many good places that if doesn't make the dinner list then maybe getting lunch at Nine Dragons or Teppan Edo might be an idea or somewhere.

I know everyone seems to rave about BOG, so I might try for that just to see if we can get a reservation. The other thing about the places I've listed above is that since the plan is to do one day at AK and one day at HS I'd like to have reservations there...50's PTC and Boma would be the choices. Since we're staying at Poly I'm hoping that getting around to MK or the different resorts won't be too difficult for dinner.

On recent trips our touring methods have changed, but we have had trips where we do dinner ADRs every night. Staying at the Polynesian, it will be very easy to hit restaurants at the other monorail resorts. And your trip is long enough that you can afford to relax and have a nice dinner every night.

An ADR for Table Service every night of a 9 night trip is a lot if you ask me. One thing we've learned from our WDW trips is ADR's cost you time.........and time is..........well time and fun in our opinion. We discussed this with Kathy Werling of the DISUnplugged and she's the one who said to back off table service meals........primarily because they really have to be planned out and you spend all your time eating and not touring (less of an issue if you do dinners only.......but still work:rolleyes:) Another thing is getting an ADR at 180 +10 can be tough but having to make 9 reservations will make it crazy o_O. Now you only talk about ADR's for dinner, how about splitting them up and adding a breakfast or lunch? QS meals are available at all parks and can be quite good (Peco's Bill's in MK or Flametree BBQ and AK are two of our favorites).

How about you post the restaurant's you're looking at for your ADR's...............once you have that list you can prioritize (especially if BOG is on your list). In the end its your trip and you know what you want..........but my experience is the planning for this many TS meals is gonna make you nuts.........Oh and be sure to have back ups.........and to be flexible with times.

Doug :goofy:

We absolutely do one table service meal per day. As far as it costing "fun time" in the parks; if I had a shorter trip, I might agree, but trips over say, 6 days don't suffer from this IMO. We love the break from the crowds & the heat and really like eating food better than counter service quality. I'd say you have a great plan. Don't be afraid to book a sit down lunch of your evening booking doesn't work as well as you like. I also find that eating a big lunch gives me time to work it off in the parks, followed by a lighter dinner. We do, in a ten day trip, about 6 TS dinners and 4 TS lunches.

We have always done one TS per day. I never subscribed to the 'go back to the resort for a rest' theory since we were there off times and the travel/security lines were a lot of work to go back and forth. Our down time was in the restaurants.

Try to schedule the parks/restaurants in the same area. Don't try to go to the AKL for breakfast (if you aren't staying there) and plan on a day at DHS.
Sketch out the best/worst days for each day you are there (prior to 180+10). Pick your parks accordingly, and plan on your restaurants depending on where you think you will be. Monorail resorts on your MK day. If you have park hoppers you can spend the morning in one park and hop to the other for dinner (EPCOT is great for this).

On your off days, plan a resort or DTD meal after a day at the pool. HTH

Planning a 9 night trip to DW in May of 2016 and looking for some guidance from experienced DW'ers about how to plan dinner during each night of the trip. Ideally, I would like to do table service for each night we're there...is that too ambitious? I have a slew of restaurants I'd like to get reservations for (and I plan on being online 180 days prior to the start of the vaca at 6am to book what I can), but I don't want to plan for 9 nights of eating if it doesn't seem reasonable. Maybe it just depends on the family...? This will be 3 adults and a 10 yr old and with 10 days of vacation my hope is that we won't be so busy running from attraction-to-attraction and park-to-park that we'll actually be able to relax some and sit down every night for dinner. Is this what some people do? Thanks in advance!
One dinner ADR is fine for each day, imho. Some say more are fine; others say 1/day can be too many.

If you are traveling with a 10 y.o. - you might consider the Camps that will allow the child a chance to get away. There are four managed by Disney (Polynesian, Yacht & Beach, Wilderness, and Animal Kingdom), and another at Dolphin. A few video games & movies are sometimes better than a sit-down meal with the adults. Only you know your child.

The Disney camps charge a fee, Dolphin is free if dining at their Signatures (and you have one entree).

My then 4 y.o. was apprehensive on her first visit, but now demands going to camp.

You can also engage the 10 y.o. for some input about some meals. Sci-Fi is very cool. House of Blues or Splittsvile are cool if also adding Cirque de Soleil show. Fireworks from Monorail restaurants are fun. There are dinner shows like Hoop Dee Doo. Whispering Canyon & 50's Prime Time can be humorous. Maybe your kid love pizza - so Via Napoli would be recommended. Burgers and Ice Cream at Beaches & Cream. Maybe the kids a sports fan and might enjoy ESPN. Love fish tanks, so Coral Reef is cool; loves eating fish so dinner at Cape May.

Little food at Disney is worth a hassle getting to/from. Disney does not make it easy to go resort to resort. This becomes mitigated if you are driving yourself or are willing to take taxis.

If you have hotel details and a list of some of those restaurants, we'd all be willing to offer more advice.

We always do one TS a day, and with 10 days, I think you're right- you won't be so busy trying to cram everything in and you'll be able to relax and enjoy some leisurely meals! We typically do 7-10 day trips, and it's always been a good strategy for us to do one TS each day, even when the boys were younger (They're 15 & 11 now). We do like to mix it up, though, and do a breakfast one or two days, a couple of lunches, and the rest dinners. The flexibility makes it easier to make ADRs, but the TS meals are also a nice little rest for us each day. :)

One dinner ADR is fine for each day, imho. Some say more are fine; others say 1/day can be too many.

If you are traveling with a 10 y.o. - you might consider the Camps that will allow the child a chance to get away. There are four managed by Disney (Polynesian, Yacht & Beach, Wilderness, and Animal Kingdom), and another at Dolphin. A few video games & movies are sometimes better than a sit-down meal with the adults. Only you know your child.

The Disney camps charge a fee, Dolphin is free if dining at their Signatures (and you have one entree).

My then 4 y.o. was apprehensive on her first visit, but now demands going to camp.

You can also engage the 10 y.o. for some input about some meals. Sci-Fi is very cool. House of Blues or Splittsvile are cool if also adding Cirque de Soleil show. Fireworks from Monorail restaurants are fun. There are dinner shows like Hoop Dee Doo. Whispering Canyon & 50's Prime Time can be humorous. Maybe your kid love pizza - so Via Napoli would be recommended. Burgers and Ice Cream at Beaches & Cream. Maybe the kids a sports fan and might enjoy ESPN. Love fish tanks, so Coral Reef is cool; loves eating fish so dinner at Cape May.

Little food at Disney is worth a hassle getting to/from. Disney does not make it easy to go resort to resort. This becomes mitigated if you are driving yourself or are willing to take taxis.

If you have hotel details and a list of some of those restaurants, we'd all be willing to offer more advice.

Thanks for your advice! We'll be staying at the Poly during our time at Disney. I originally thought about Sci-Fi for lunch and 50's Prime Time for dinner. I had comprised a list of these 9: Ohana, 50's Prime Time Cafe, Boma, Beach & Cream Soda Shop, Coral Reef, Flying Fish, Liberty Tree, Narcoossee's, Via Napoli. I have read good things about these places. But also considering Hoop Dee Doo, Cape May Cafe or restaurants in DTD if we make it there one day.

We always do one TS a day, and with 10 days, I think you're right- you won't be so busy trying to cram everything in and you'll be able to relax and enjoy some leisurely meals! We typically do 7-10 day trips, and it's always been a good strategy for us to do one TS each day, even when the boys were younger (They're 15 & 11 now). We do like to mix it up, though, and do a breakfast one or two days, a couple of lunches, and the rest dinners. The flexibility makes it easier to make ADRs, but the TS meals are also a nice little rest for us each day. :)

If you do a TS for breakfast do you skip TS for dinner that night? Or do both?

We mix it up - some days we do a TS breakfast or early lunch and a TS dinner, sometimes we do just one TS in a day (whether breakfast, lunch or dinner), and some days we just do snacks and QSR meals. We also do nine or ten night trips. I would suggest making ADRs for all 10 days knowing you cancel them the day before if you decide it's too much. We have also had a lot of luck snagging next day reservations or even same day reservations at places we decided on short notice we wanted to eat (we are only a party of two, though).

If you do a TS for breakfast do you skip TS for dinner that night? Or do both?

If we do the breakfast buffet, then we'll do a snack for lunch, and a QS dinner or vice versa. I try to schedule our breakfasts for around 10-10:30ish, so that by the time we're ready to go it's about lunch time lol. That way we won't be hungry for awhile, and a snack is all we'll want and then dinner later. TS is usually a lot of food for us, so I don't even feel like eating more than one a day. I also don't want to take that much time out of one day to do two TS, even on longer trips :)

Thanks for your advice! We'll be staying at the Poly during our time at Disney. I originally thought about Sci-Fi for lunch and 50's Prime Time for dinner. I had comprised a list of these 9: Ohana, 50's Prime Time Cafe, Boma, Beach & Cream Soda Shop, Coral Reef, Flying Fish, Liberty Tree, Narcoossee's, Via Napoli. I have read good things about these places. But also considering Hoop Dee Doo, Cape May Cafe or restaurants in DTD if we make it there one day.
If staying at Poly:
-- 'Ohana - seems like earlier the better for food quality at dinner. View of fireworks from just outside restaurant is excellent. We've never been to Stitch breakfast.
-- 50's Prime Time - huge portions for most things. 10 y.o. may not understand nostalgia and formica. The antics with waitstaff are not for everyone. Sci-Fi may be preferred by the 10 y.o.
-- Boma - a long journey for food, but AKLodge is worth a look. We prefer animal views at Sanaa over buffet at Boma in daylight. However, breakfast at Boma is special, but not special enough to miss Park time if you have to travel far to get there. Disney does not make resort-to-resort easy on Disney transportation. If this is your AK day, Tusker House offers similar flavors and you get Characters too (Mickey & friends, sans Minnie).
-- Beaches & Cream will work best for you if coming/going from Epcot or Hollywood Studios. It's nothing too special, but a meal in an inviting old-style ice cream parlor that is welcoming to a 10 y.o.
-- Coral Reef - only Nine Dragons is to be avoided in Epcot. Coral Reef can get mixed reviews that seemingly lean towards negative, but we enjoy the smaller portions and fish centered menu (Trout w/ beans & greens) and the view.
-- Flying Fish is fine, but we prefer seafood and ambiance at nearby BlueZoo. But BlueZoo is not on Disney Dining and that might matter for you. Again, Camp is free at BlueZoo.
-- Liberty Tree Tavern - location, location, location. MK is not known for their table service meals. I'm not fond of Thanksgiving dinner, so we prefer Be Our Guest at dinner. But LTT is well-themed and a good value.
-- Narcoossee's - the New-Englandy seafood-centered menu works for us. It can be pricey if not on Disney Dining Plan or not using Tables in Wonderland (available to Annual Passholders). Like 'Ohana, audio for Magic Kingdom fireworks are piped-in and expect to stand outside to view. While we've never done it, you can walk a long path between Grand Floridian & Polynesian - which may be better than looping back on Monorail.
-- Via Napoli - only Nine Dragons is to be avoided in Epcot. The food at Via Napoli gets excellent reviews. However, gluten- & carb-rich foods of pizza & pasta are avoided by our family, so I cannot offer personal advice. But those huge pizzas get rave reviews.
-- Hoop Dee Doo - I believe there's a boat from Polynesian. Fun for children of all ages.
-- Cape May - I like Goofy, so breakfast works for us here, but not worth traveling from Polynesian in the morning....unless going to HS or Epcot. But if going to Epcot after breakfast, you'll have loooong wait for either Soarin' or Test Track. If going for seafood buffet - only worth the trouble if you are looking to enjoy the stroll along the Boardwalk too. Better seafood at nearby BlueZoo, and Camp for 10 y.o. is free.

-- Kona - if staying at Polynesian, the convenience of Kona should not be overlooked. I'm not sure there is any place that serves such good food for all three meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) any other place at Disney. Unfortunately, the memorable sweet breakfasts do not work for my high blood-sugar, but Kona should get worked into your selections.

-- Downtown Disney Springs - if it fits your budget, Cirque de Soleil is a delightful show. Also, Disney Quest is fun for a 10 y.o., and adults might like it too. Some of the 'hotel packages' come with admission to Disney Quest (as I recall). Splitsville has surprisingly better than average food to go along with bowling. House of Blues is well themed. Newly opened Boathouse may be better value than Narcoossee's, although, we have yet to dine here. And if Beaches & Cream is on your list, you may also consider grabbing a sandwich (or something small) before a stop at Ghiradelli for ice cream while in Downtown Disney Springs.

Be advised about Downtown Disney - keep looking at DisBoards - all the road construction makes coming/going difficult, particularly on weekends and/or if planning to arrive at dinner hour. I'm not suggesting it should be avoided, just that you plan accordingly.

Every time we have gone we always do at least 1 table service everyday. Usually 2 of the days we will do 2 table services. (1 breakfast and then dinner). We go to the parks from rope drop until close but we never go back to the room for breaks. The shows is our break but it works for our family

Every time we have gone we always do at least 1 table service everyday. Usually 2 of the days we will do 2 table services. (1 breakfast and then dinner). We go to the parks from rope drop until close but we never go back to the room for breaks. The shows is our break but it works for our family
Thanks! This is good to know. A few mornings I'm planning TS breakfast to meet some characters.

We usually do at least one table service a day, two if we are on the DxDP. I think one a day is good but switch it up between breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I follow a couple of simple rules for TS:
1. Don't do TS dinner every day. Make some ADRs for breakfast and lunch instead.
2. Decide on parks/activities first and then schedule dinner around touring. Not the other way around. There's nothing worse than having to break off in the middle of touring to get to an ADR half way around the world. If its MK day then we do an MK restaurant on that day, etc. We get a nice break and then we can get back to the fun with minimal travel time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter