Dinner attire question

I never realized they were suggestions. If that is the case, why are there so many posts asking what the dress code is? I took the knowledge off these boards and took them as the gospel, as rules.

My first cruise on Disney was 6 months ago and it stated that these were the suggested dress for dinner in the dining rooms.

Never take everything posted here as gospel. There is a lot of knowledge here, but there is also a lot of wrong information posted. You will even have some people say that there are different kinds of people on the 2 different boats, but that is not true either.

I actually called DCL before my first cruise just to make sure - and yes they told me shorts was fine in the dining room.

The wording on the Navigator is "suggested dress."

Rules are worded as rules--"Saving of seats in the Walt Disney Theatre is not permitted." It doesn't say "not suggested" or "not allowed unless your DH is late getting out of the shower." It is a rule and worded as such.

The "dress code" is not a dress code in the sense of the term used at a school or elsewhere. It is "suggested."

Can my 2 yr old wear a nice pair of shorts in the dining room or do I have to put him in khaki pants every night? I have so many pairs of plaid type shorts that I am hoping he can wear with a nice shirt. Thanks for any feedback!

Keep in mine the dining rooms are chilly. if your child gets cold easily he may be more comfortable wearing longer pants. Most adults are cold in the dining rooms and will take a sweater or a wrap.

This is where the parents should step in and teach them about following rules. They do not need to comprehemd them, just follow thier parents rules (and yes, I have 2 children of my own and know how raising them can be).

And just so everyone knows, I could care less either way. Im not going to get up and leave or stew all night if someone, anyone, wears shorts or flip flops or even a bikini to the dinning room. The OP asked for suggestions/thoughts and I threw mine out there. If they were going to not take all suggestions/advice, then they allready knew that they would break the rules and not care. If thats the case, why ask?
My age is going to show here and I should put on the flame retardant suit, but here goes.
Why is it such a big deal to dress decently in the restaurants?
Would you dress this way at home at a fine restaurant?
The last cruise we were on, there was a guy who showed up for dinner every night wearing the same dingy shorts and ball cap. The only change was Pirate Night when they got him to wear a bandanna. I am sure that this guy was trying to make a point that the rules did not apply to him.

That is what it is normally about. Whether you think something should apply to you or not.

As far as the OP question, your 2 year old should be fine.

Can my 2 yr old wear a nice pair of shorts in the dining room or do I have to put him in khaki pants every night? I have so many pairs of plaid type shorts that I am hoping he can wear with a nice shirt. Thanks for any feedback!

The dress code is "suggested". In my opinion, that means that it is to give you an idea of the standard they expect. A nice little shorts outfit, again imho, is a higher standard than a sloppy wrinkled pair of khakis and a dirty t-shirt....which technically would fit their suggestions.

I also feel that for children under school age, there is a different standard than older children. For younger, we tend to go "cute" versus "stylish" or "proper". Put a little girl in a shorts outfit with cute sandels and bows in her hair and she's "up to par".

OP go for the shorts. Especially since you said they would be nice new plaid shorts or similar if i can remember. Obviously this is dressing up for a 2 year old. And the 7 year old mentioned would great too i am sure.

Remember its a tropical cruise....not a New Years Eve ball. Sorry but some passengers i have witnessed seem way out of place. And thats just my opinion.

I guess Im a rules type of guy, if they say no shorts, I dont care what age you are, it means no shorts. They are kids, they will have to learn to follow rules sometime in thier life, why not start now.
(soap box removed)

I think some common sense needs to come into play here. I mean, really, you don't think it matters what age? So my eight month old shouldn't wear a romper because it's shorts? Please. He's two, for crying out loud. And, yes, there is a difference between a 2yo and a 7yo and a 10yo. I think everybody recognizes that.

I actually am one of those people that thinks you should dress appropriately in the dining room, and my 8yo and 5yo dress like I would. But the 23 month old? He dresses like a 23 month old should.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter