Dinner ADR Time if Taking Mid-Day Breaks

longhorn

Earning My Ears
I am trying to plan my son's first trip to WDW in December. He is 3, and he currently takes naps (though rarely at the same time each day, and some naps are longer than others). Given the transportation time back to the room, nap time, and time to travel back to a park, what time do people usually make their dinner reservations? I have seen a number of people recommend getting an ADR between 5 – 6 with little ones, but I did not know if we would be back in the park by that time. However, I know that there will likely be shorter hours in December. For those of you who have been when there are shorter hours, does that alter you ADR's? If it helps, we normally eat dinner between 6 - 7 Central each day. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Get fp before you leave for nap leave at say 12:30 eat lunch, naptime 1:30- 3:30 get ready, ride bus be pack at park by 4:15, get another fp, ride you fp from before lunch then go to dinner at 5:30 - 6:30, I find that with the heat and all the lines that my kids were hungry earlier then you would expect so I would be ready for that.

This is assuming you are staying on site, lunch at resort or in room, dinner at park if your plans are different you may need something else.

Thank you mb_uh! We have reservations to stay at the Contemporary, so hopefully, mid-day break transportation will not be too bad.

Just a thought, but if your son is 3 now, and your trip is in Dec, it's likely he would not be on regular naps at that age, and maybe you could get by with a stroller he could take a short 'catnap' snooze in while you're touring.

Of course if he is a bear without a nap, only you would know that :) It would stink though if you plan all the back & forth traveling to get to your room and then he won't go to sleep.

We went when DD was 3 and again when she was 5 in November both times. We got to the parks when they opened, got so much done in the mornings and left about 11:30-12:00 to take afternoon breaks. We would usually get back to the parks by about 4:00. If you are at the Contemporary, you should be able to make reservations by 5:00 at most parks, but you might shoot for 6:00 just to be safe for those that are little farther away.

We went when DD was 3 and again when she was 5 in November both times. We got to the parks when they opened, got so much done in the mornings and left about 11:30-12:00 to take afternoon breaks. We would usually get back to the parks by about 4:00. If you are at the Contemporary, you should be able to make reservations by 5:00 at most parks, but you might shoot for 6:00 just to be safe for those that are little farther away.

Get fp before you leave for nap leave at say 12:30 eat lunch, naptime 1:30- 3:30 get ready, ride bus be pack at park by 4:15, get another fp, ride you fp from before lunch then go to dinner at 5:30 - 6:30, I find that with the heat and all the lines that my kids were hungry earlier then you would expect so I would be ready for that.

This is assuming you are staying on site, lunch at resort or in room, dinner at park if your plans are different you may need something else.

Both of these!!!! When ds was still in the nap phase this is what we did. It pretty much was his sch. We were there at rope drop and stayed until 11:30-12ish. Then returned around 5-5:30 for dinner ressies. I tried to always have them no later than 6:30ish. Even if you eat later at home and try to stay on a regular *at home* schedule(nap!:)), peeps are going to be tired/cranky from just the change in routine. Have a good trip!

When we've gone during times with shorter park hours, we tend to do more 3/4 days than break mid day and return.

We are just never ready to leave at noon, then by the time we break and shower, get dressed and have dinner, there's not much use in going back to the parks.

We still will do an evening or 2 for fireworks, parade, etc.

We tend to stay at park until 2:30 or 3:00 and do dinner reservations around 6:30 or 7. This gives us a nice break b/t park and dinner for either pool or rest.

Thank you for your response Ammer0910. Unfortunately, you never know whether my son will be a bear or not without a nap - sometimes he is fine, sometimes not. When we have taken him to the zoo or the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, he has stayed awake without a nap (he rarely will fall asleep in his stroller). We tried this year at the livestock show to get him to sleep in the stroller. Instead, for an hour he kept trying to talk to us, climb out, etc. I think he was just too excited to sleep. So we gave up and went back to the HLSR carnival rides. I am afraid though that multiple days like this may lead to the "bear" you mentioned.

Thank you mwmom for your response! When you went in November, did the shorter hours cause you to hop in the afternoon? I guess I am wondering what to do with the likely shorter hours at the Magic Kingdom. If we take a break and head back for dinner, then the MK closes at 7, I am not sure that we will have any time to do anything. Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have!

Thank you LuvMickey36! It sounds like there is a consensus to try to make ADRs around 5 - 6:30.

Thank you graceesmom! We may end up trying the "shorter days" idea. My son may not be willing to leave the fun and excitement for a nap. We have had the trouble when we have gone to other places like the zoo or the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. This might be the compromise!

MK didn't close at 7 when we were there this past Thanksgiving. We arrived the Friday before Thanksgiving and left on Thanksgiving day. Wishes fireworks wasn't until 10 each night which meant we really needed that break in the middle of the day. Perhaps it stayed open later with all of the holiday crowd coming in. I am not sure what time it closed earlier in Nov.

Yes, we did park hop this last time bc I wanted to see how much I really liked the flexibility. The time before at Thanksgiving when there were 8 of us there, we just bought the reg ticket without park hopping. It worked just fine for us, but if you can spring for the park hopper, it is nice to have the flexibility, but I certainly wouldn't say it was a necessity. You can still go to one park in the morning, take a break, and then go back to that park at night.

Hope that helps.

This thread also applies to us... we will have my almost 3 year old grand nephew with us. The times for lunch and dinner are very helpful. Could you tell me what time you have breakfast? We will be staying at BLT and are planning on the afternoon nap breaks,too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter