Dining with infants (posted also on Dining board)

disgirlha

Earning My Ears
I am going to disney in 3 weeks, my son will be 6 mos on the day we leave. I just heard that many of the restaurants that we have reservations for will not allow strollers. Where does a 6 mos old sit in a restaurant if not in a stroller? I wasn't planning on bringing the infant carrier...but I am now realizing it might be my best bet. My 5 month old is on the larger side for his age (just about 20 lbs.) and I thought he may be uncomfortable and bored laying in the infant seat all day. We are staying at the polynesian and will be taking the monorail system so leaving it in the car is not an option. He def cannot sit in the regular high chairs provided by most restaurants for the length of an entire meal (we are part of a grand gathering and there are 12 in our party). Can anyone please share with me what they did with a 6 month old. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Here are the restaurants we have reservations for:

Ohana
Cinderella's Royal Table
Hoop De Doo
Kona
Brown Derby
Chef Mickey's
Artist Point
Le Cellier
Boma
California Grill

I'm not sure if all restaurants have them, but some may have an "infant highchair". I know in fall of 2006 Tony's Town Square gave us one, we actually needed two regular highchairs, but they only had one regular available and asked if we'd like to try an infant one for my Neice (7 months at the time).

Anyway, the infant chairs reminded me of the grocery cart with the infant seats attached. Same concept, but on a high chair. Maybe you could call dining and see if you could get contact info for the restaurants directly to see if the infant chairs are available for where you are dining. Then if they are put in a request for one.

Edited to add:
If there are a few restaurants that don't have the infant chairs, you could get the regular high chair and just carry a few extra blankets to help support around your baby, and just expect that you'll be passing him around during dinner (which you'll probably do anyway :) ) He would probably enjoy sitting up at the table with everyone anyway. My son at 10 months and my neice at 7 months, really enjoyed sitting in laps when possible. We typically only had them in the chairs when we were actually eating. (We traveled with 9 in our party - including the babies - 6 adults).

I have an almost three year old and a 7 month old. The three year old has been out of a highchair for about two years now, but with both children I have always just used the high chairs provided at the restaurants. I just put blankets, jackets, ect.. behind the child to help prop them up better. When they get sick of sitting in the highchair I just hold them on my lap. I also pull them up close to the table and put toys, puffs, cheerios, ect.. on a stay put table mat to help keep them occupied. This has always worked for me and usually keeps them occupied until I am done eating. Good luck!!!

When I took my son who was 5 mths we took the travel system stroller and just carried him into the rest. in the car seat. we didn't have any problems on the disney transporatation with that we also had a double stroller for my twins with us.

We were in DW last December with a 5 month old. We used our stroller at all restaurants. The only time it was a hassle was at Coral Reef because we had to wait longer for a table that would accomodate a stroller.

We ate at Ohana, LeCellier, Brown Derby, Chef Mickey's, and Boma.

Boma was the ONLY restaurant we went to that didn't make us park our stollers outside. I've heard that if your child is actually sleeping when you enter, they may let you take in the stroller. Definately make a plan B. I know for sure that Chef Mickey's, the "country restaurants" in Epcot, Crystal Palace, Hoop De Doo, 1900 Park Fare, and CRT all made us leave our stollers in the "stroller parking" section outside.

DS was just over 6 months when we went in Jan -- we put him in the high chair and packed blankets around him. He didn't stay in there for the whole time always, but we were okay with it.

With 12 people in your party, I'm sure there will always be someone willing to hold your son for a bit.

Have a great trip!

Strange how much this seems to very in reports from people. Each time we traveled with an infant (one trip with a 4 month old in 2000 and one with a 6 month oldin 2005), I stressed about this. However, it always turned out to be a non issue for us because we never encountered a restaurant that would not allow us to bring in the stroller for a young infant.

Now I am the type of person who follows all rules and I hate to ask for accomdations or special permission, so know that I did not do anything special other than arrive with our party and check in. We did include the infant in the restaurant reservation (required by Disney), and we did not have trouble at any restaurant.

In fact we even were allowed to bring in our stroller to CRT and that is a small restaurant so I thought a no for certain. Nope, we took the elevator and brought dd in her stroller right up. In fact we did this with both dd's (one a lunch and other a breakfast).

We have always found Disney to be so helpful and accomodating...they just seem to go out of their way to make traveling with kids and babies an easy and pleasant experience. I hope you find the same to be true.

We took our youngest DD at 3 months and were able to bring her stroller into:

Hoop Dee Doo
Le Cellier
Cape May
Ohana
Marrakesh

We were given Infant Highchairs at:

Garden Grill
Chef Mickey's

When dd was 3 months old, we took her to the world. It never entered our minds what we would do with her while we were eating. :confused3 We always used a baby carrier at that point. It was not until we were standing in front of the Liberty Tree Tavern that it dawned on us we did not have her carrier!!!!!!!!!! We explained she was too small to sit in a highchair. They said no problem. And in we went we a stroller. In fact we did not have any problems with taking the stroller in any of the restaurants.

I'm sure other people thought of this, but I didn't. When I made reservations I didn't include the baby in the count since we wouldn't be charged for him. Please don't make that mistake. They accommodated us, but they weren't real happy with me.

I would bring a soft carrier or sling because there are places where you can't bring a stroller such as shows and some pavillions in Epcot (like The Land). Carrying the infant car seat could get old for both you and the baby. We always travelled with the baby bjorn thrown in the bottom of the stroller. It was very handy, even with a heavier baby!

At Le Cellier & Hoop dee doo the tables are close together. Not sure about the others. If the infant is included in your ADRs you should get a chair space for him, which could give room for a stroller.

Definitely tell whoever you talk with to make your ADRs. They will do their best to assist you. We went with 6 month old twins and we held them most of the time and passed them around because we had lots of helping hands in our huge party that we went with. We had a big double carriage and most places were too packed to get the carriage through. We never had a problem using the baby Bjorns! I would wear my baby in that while I ate. My DH did the same. We wore them a lot on the trip. Kids loved them! They slept in them.

When we went in Feb 2007 my DD was 2 months old - instead of a high chair at Hollywood & Vine Little Einsteins had these fold open hammock type high chairs. Hard to describe - but basically it is kinda like a mini bassinet. She just laid in that & was perfectly happy while we ate. Then at Chef Mickey's they actually had a high chair that had in infant carrier attached to it - with straps & everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter