Dining with DD8 who has diabetes. Questions....

ColetteN

<font color=teal>If you find my link to the cool s
HI All.
I hope I put this in the right place. My family is going to Disney in August. This will be the first time since my DD8 has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (2.5 years ago). Anyhow, I'm starting to wonder about what I can do to aid meal planning. What type of things should I do?

I have some hints from zurgswife - I did mention to the CM when making my ADR's that my DD was diabetic, and I have the name of the food service manager (or whatever her title for Epcot). Should I be talking to each chef at a TS restaurant? The food service manager at a CS? What were some of the things that were done to make meals 'easier' for diabetics?

Any and all advice is appreciated. I'm just trying to figure out what help to expect and what I can reasonably ask for. Unfortunately I do know that they have very very few carb counts on food items.

TIA,
Colette

This subject is often discussed on the DisAbilities board. You might want to look there .. or do a search.

I know WDW is very helpful and works with people alot. Good luck! and :sunny: have fun!

My ds10 is also diabetic (type 1) and is on the insulin pump. We went for a week last year and just did the best we could with estimating carbs. We have a booklet that gives carb counts for everyday foods and used that as a guide. We didn't have many problems with the meals since we ate mostly meats, but the desserts and snacks did spike him at times. We just tested more often and made the necessary corrections.

This year when we go, I plan to ask the chefs if they know the carb counts for desserts and certain menu items.

I went with my Dd the week after she was diagnosed. I had to estimate almost everything. I was so excited about Itzakadoozie bars because they ahd how many carbs were in them on the package! I had no experiance is figuring out carbs and it was really stressful. Hopefully we will get some progress done on getting more carb counts thanks to the work of Zurg and Zurgswife.
I would recommend talking to all of the chefs and telling them your issues. They were all great and did what they could for me. Do tell the Cm that you have a diabetic when you make an ADR . I did not tell anyone since my ADRs were made pre-diagnosis and it was an issue more than once.
Oh.. and just relax and have fun while you are there! It will not be as bad as you may think and you WILL have a blast regarless of this.

Thank you all. I have spoken with a gentleman (Joel) that zurgswife referred me to about the carb counts. Unfortunately, Joel explained that they only have carb counts for the items that they bring in already prepared. He gave me the name of a food service manager to contact. Joel said to ask for the special dietary requests form to be sent and when I send it in, they can give me the info that they do have - if they are prepared items. However, he repeated several times that they do not have carb counts for the items they prepare from scratch. I hope if we keep on them, as parents of diabetic children, or as adults with diabetes, this will get a bit easier.

My DD8 is on a pump (has been since December) and we typically do well with carb counting and even guessing the carb counts of items we're used to. If I am able to get carb counts for any other specific items, I will gladly pass them along, and to zurgswife to update the disneywithdiabetes website.

I am very excited about this trip - as it's my DS4's first one. His sister is an old pro, this will be her 3rd trip in 4 years.

Thanks again - it's great to know there's such good support and help here on the DIS!!!

Colette

You've probably already done this, but you can check out all the menus of the restaurants you have advanced reservations for and start coming up with some of your carb counts, so when you sit down you could suggest to your DD which one of the food items is best in her range. That way she doesn't feel like it's a big deal. :thumbsup2

Have a great trip!! We're heading down in June with our DD, who's 8, and DS, who is 4. They are so excited already!! :cheer2:

Hi Collette,

I was just reviewing some old posts and came across this one. Did you enjoy your trip in August? I'd love to hear some tips. My ds 8 is on an insulin pump too and if you came up with some carbohydrate counts I'd love to "borrow" them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter