Dining with a Lap Band

tjevans

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but...

DW and I both had Lap Band surgery about a month ago, and we're going on a spur of the moment trip to WDW in 19 days.

I am a little concerned about dining. I'm not worried about eating something I shouldn't, but rather, I hate to waste food. Even more, I hate to pay for food I'm wasting. I don't want to order off the kid's menu because it is so limited in most places.

Have any of you gone to WDW with a lap band, and if so, what did you do to get smaller portions?

Haven't had a lap band, but there are a few tips.

-Check out the menus here, under the dining tab, or at allears.net. There are more healthy choice kids meals than you might think. But it does take some searching.

-DON'T make ADRs for any buffets or family-style restaurants. You will be charged the full adult price for these places, even if you are only eating a bit.

-You can split any meal between the two of you at any CS or a la carte TS restaurant.

-You could just order a couple of appetizers instead of an entree.

-You might want to check out the disABILITIES board for more help with questions about dining at WDW after gastric surgery.

. . . Have any of you gone to WDW with a lap band, and if so, what did you do to get smaller portions?

1) Disney does nothing special for reduced-eating abilities.
. . . gastric surgery (band or surgery)
. . . illness (mental or physical)
2) You pay the same amount and get the same amount of food.
3) However,
. . . you could order kids' meals
. . . you could ask for a smaller portion, but pay regular price
. . . you could share an appy and share a dessert

Consider bringing plastic bags or containers to the parks for left over food. Igloo has some outstanding insulated containers (metal) that keeps food hot/cold for long periods at a time.

DEFINITELY don't do the dining plan!

My wide, more so than I, has to often cut her food in small bites. Do they have plastic knives at counter service? If not, can we bring them into the park?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but...

DW and I both had Lap Band surgery about a month ago, and we're going on a spur of the moment trip to WDW in 19 days.

I am a little concerned about dining. I'm not worried about eating something I shouldn't, but rather, I hate to waste food. Even more, I hate to pay for food I'm wasting. I don't want to order off the kid's menu because it is so limited in most places.

Have any of you gone to WDW with a lap band, and if so, what did you do to get smaller portions?

Don't have a lap band but I don't eat that much. At table service places, it's perfectly acceptable to only order an appetizer (but these days, appetizers are big portions too) or to split a meal or even order one appetizer and split that. You can always just order a side salad or any side item. As I've told my husband, look over the entire menu. If something is on there, you can almost always substitute for it or just order it on its own.

At counter service, you can order anything ala carte. So if you just want a burger, just order that and leave off the fries. Or vice versa. Again, look over the entire menu.

My wide, more so than I, has to often cut her food in small bites. Do they have plastic knives at counter service? If not, can we bring them into the park?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Disney has more plastic utensils at counter service than Lady Gaga has costume changes. Don't worry about bringing any into the parks. Although for environmental reasons, please consider getting one and reusing it.

I disagree with the post stating that Disney does nothing special for these types of procedures. I had Gastric Bypass surgery. I was charged the child's price at Ohana for the family style meal, and at Le Cellier i was advised to order off the kids menu by our server as the portions on the adult menu were too large. Just speak to your server when you get there and they are very willing to work with you.

Denise

I had vertical sleeve surgery 2 years ago and have been to Disney twice since. I travel with DH that has no dining restrictions, however.

Here are some tips:
-Don't get the dining plan, it won't work
-No family-style or buffet restaurants
-Get an appetizer as your main
-Focus on high-protein foods. If sandwichs or burgers are your only choice, eat the filling, not the bread.
-Many CS places have chowder, soup, chili
-Carts sell glazed nuts (sweet but protein-filed)
-Order sides for cs breakfast (side of eggs or side of sausage)
-You can get yogourt at many CS/food court places
-Eat small portions often (obviously) as opposed to 3 square meals

It's pretty easy to manage but you have to look over the menus and plan a little where you want to eat before the trip. :thumbsup2

Congrats on getting banded. I have been banded for over a year and have been to WDW four times since my surgery. Skip the dining plan and buffets, unless you are going for the character interaction.

At table service restaurants, talk with your server. At some restaurants, they provided me with a smaller portion of the usual serving (one pancake instead of three) or I shared with DH (not banded). If the two of your share one TS meal, you will still have leftovers.

At counter service, order child's meals and choose fruit (usually grapes), yogurt or something healthy for your side. If the children's meal doesn't appeal, order an entree ala carte and share it. *Warning about grapes: some bandsters have issues eating grapes because the skin can get stuck.

I also always bring protein bars or shakes to make sure that I am getting enough protein each day.

DH had gastric bypass 3 years ago and I will be getting the vertical sleeve in Jan. or Feb. We used the dining plan in the past and even pre-surgery it was way too much food. We got free dining for our upcoming trip, so we aren't too worried about "wasting" food/money if DH can't eat much, as we would've booked our trip for those dates regardless of the free dining offer. For future trips, our plan is to forgo the dining plan and buffets, share an single appetizer and entree, and either skip dessert or split it on rare occasion (DH cannot handle more than a couple bites of sweets). Also we will focus on high protein choices and bring our protein powder/blender bottles and protein bars.

I've been to WDW and Aulani after my lap band, had no problems at either place.
Here is what worked for me:
I agree about telling your server at a sit down restaurant.
Sometimes I ordered a soup or appetizer, and that was it.
I did order the kids selections sometimes, especially at walk up places.

We are DVC members, so we had a full refrigerator, and some things came back to the room for the next day (mostly in Aulani), it is a pain to carry stuff back when in WDW. Not sure where you are staying, but maybe you can get a mini fridge.

Most importantly, do not allow yourselves to get dehydrated.

Have fun!

I disagree with the post stating that Disney does nothing special for these types of procedures. I had Gastric Bypass surgery. I was charged the child's price at Ohana for the family style meal, and at Le Cellier i was advised to order off the kids menu by our server as the portions on the adult menu were too large. Just speak to your server when you get there and they are very willing to work with you.

Denise

In general, this will not be granted at the buffets or family style all you can eat meals. You were fortunate that 'Ohana allowed you to pay the child's price.

At an a la carte like Le Cellier there usually isn't a problem with an adult ordering a child's meal.

I had RNY in 2005... I would suggest splitting meals. I am sure if you told the CM that you both are banded and can't manage a lot but want to split meals that would work. I think you can also get restaurant cards explaining your situation so you don't have to physically tell the CM you can just present the card. they did have these cards on www.obesityhelp.com you might also find others that have done Disney banded or bypassed.

I have been to Disney twice since being banded, both times on the dining plan. Let's just say I was thankful that it was free dining, since we had almost all my credits left over at the end of the week. My son is 11 and is usually willing to share a meal with me, which meant out of 4 credits a day (combined), we were only using 3. Sit down restaurants for the most part didn't have issues with us sharing a plate either, they were all very accommodating especially after I told them I was banded. Also, I don't know what your will power is like, but I had a very hard time with not taking nibbles from desserts and sugary snacks. :mickeybar

Tigger's ally said:
Back in the 80's I wanted to dine with the Gap Band. :lmao:

Early in the morning!
Love this!

tjevans said:
My wide, more so than I, has to often cut her food

Your 'wife' may not find this typo as funny as I do hahaha.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter