Dining w/Shamu or Sharks worth the $$?

jeast

DIS Veteran
We're taking kids, 2 and 5, to seaworld. We don't have a lot of extra cash but are considering dining with shamu or sharks to do something special for the kids. On the other hand, they might enjoy the park just as well with a burger and fries.

Are these meals really something special, or nice but skippable?

We did Dine with Shamu last year with our 5 & 2 year olds, and it was one of the biggest highlights of their trip (which included several days at Disney). DW and I really enjoyed it too, the food was very good for a buffet and seeing the whales close up was great!

Here's a thread with some other responses.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=836425

If your kids love sharks & fish, I think that they would like Sharks...you can get a table right by the glass if you just ask. Its cheaper than Shamu too. If they aren't really intrigued with the sharks, then its skippable. Never been to Shamu because of the high prices, so someone else will have to tackle that one.

DS5 loves loves loves sharks. He has shark P.J.s, shirts, books, figures, etc. Knows lots of stuff about them.

Does anyone know where I can find a menu with prices for Sharks restaurant?

Appetizers

Coconut Crusted Chicken Spears $7.95
Get a taste of the tropics with these succulent chicken tenders rolled in coconut then deep-fried, and served with a grilled pineapple wedge and passion fruit dip. Makes your taste buds say "Aloha."

Caribbean Conch Chowder $4.95
All hail the Queen! - Queen conch, that is, served with delectable sweet potatoes, and fresh vegetables, and simmered in a tangy tomato broth

Chilled Shrimp and Scallop Cocktail $7.85
A classic dish with a Florida twist. Seared gulf shrimp and sea scallops with our homemade Key Lime vinaigrette served with a lucious bed of fresh greens

Pizza Fromage $6.95
Wood-fired flatbread pizza with brie, asiago, mozzarella and cheddar piled high and slowly melted over our own roasted tomato and garlic sauce

The Pizzeria $6.75
Traditional tastes with a savory smoked flavor. Our wood-fired classic is made with our own roasted tomato and garlic sauce mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, black olives and pepperoni

Pizza Bella $6.45
Inspired by the colors of the Italian flag, we created a combination of spinach, parmesan and mozzarella cheese, red peppers, onions and roasted garlic for one bella pizza

Tropical Bruschetta $6.95
Cuban bread, toasted and topped with fresh tomato, virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, onion, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and a hint of mint

Salads

"The Great White" $4.55
Chopped leafy greens with bacon and tomatoes, tossed with our creamy gorgonzola vinaigrette, topped with fried onion wisps and served with an asiago parmesan cheese fin

Spinach Salad $4.75
Green never had it so good. Fresh spinach tossed tableside with a warm red pepper balsamic vinaigrette and freshly grated parmesan

Citrus Caesar Salad $4.55
Caesar would never believe this spin on his namesake dish. Crisp romaine lettuce and a unique citrus Caesar dressing, dusted with freshly grated asiago cheese and herb croutons

Oak Grilled Specialties

Filet Mignon $22.95
We took a classic to the tropics. One half-pound of USDA prime tenderloin grilled over oak wood, topped with a jerk-seasoned demi glaze and melted gouda cheese. Served with a fried garlic yucca cake

Salmon Filet $18.45
Eight ounces of fresh center cut salmon filet, accompanied by grilled corn and roasted poblano pepper mashed potatoes so incredible, you'd swim upstream to order it

Shrimp and Smoked Chicken Barbecue $19.95
Two favorites, smoked chicken half and three jumbo shrimp basted with our own unique guava barbeque sauce, served with roasted corn and island baked beans

N.Y. Strip Steak $24.95
Twelve ounces of USDA prime sirloin, marinated in chimmi churi, grilled over oak wood and crusted with fontinella cheese and brown onion. Served with Caribbean bean cassoulet

Ahi Tuna $18.95
Sushi grade ahi tuna loin quickly seared on our oak grill, served over our tropical slaw and finished with whipped chimmi churi and a habanero cream sauce

Moho Pork $18.45
Petit pork tenderloin marinated in Cuban moho, served with a rich black bean sauce and island rice

House Specialties

Blackened Sea Scallops $20.95
Indulge in these culinary treasures of the sea, jumbo scallops blackened then finished with a creamy tomato-citrus buerre blanc. Served with a grilled vegetable Napoleon and garlic yucca cake

Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes $17.45
Two types of crab, seasoned and blended, sauteed and paired with our two distinct sauces: a tangy key lime mustard mayonnaise, and a savory papaya cocktail sauce

Pan-Seared Red Snapper $20.95
Our fresh red snapper is pan-seared, seasoned with annatto oil and served with garlic-creamed spinach. It shares the plate with a seasoned deep-fried black bean and rice empanada

Chorizo-Stuffed Breast of Chicken $16.75
Tender chicken breast filled with flavorful Mexican sausage, in a sweet potato next surrounded by a creamed, spiced demi glaze

Caribbean Seafood Ragout $18.95
Shrimps, scallops, fish and vegetables simmered in our roasted tomato herb sauce, tossed with fresh linguine

Sharks Trio $19.95
Our culinary team has fashioned a special presentation of their finest seafood creations - herb crusted tuna, scallops and shrimp, pan-seared, seasoned with rosemary, cilantro, parsley and basil, or if you prefer, blackened with zesty cajun spices. Finished with a mango-papaya sauce

Young Adults Menu

(Recommended for ages 10-15)

Oak Grilled Petit Filet Mignon $10.95
Grilled to perfection and served with fried onion wisps, poblano seasoned mashed potatoes and grilled corn cobbette

Oak Grilled Salmon Filet $9.95
Oak grilled and served with poblano seasoned mashed potatoes and grilled corn cobbette

Grilled Chicken Breast with Orange Glaze $7.75
Served with french fries and grilled corn cobbette

Popcorn Shrimp $8.75
Tender shrimp in a crisp batter, fried golden brown and served with french fries and fresh fruit

Children's Menu

(Suggested for children under the age of 10 years)

Pasta Marinara $5.95
A plate of fresh linguine, topped with our special marinara sauce accompanied by garlic toast

Jumbo Oak Grilled Hot Dog $5.75
All beef hot dog, oak grilled and served with french fries and fresh fruit

Chicken Tenders $6.55
Tender white meat chicken, breaded and fried, served with french fries and fresh fruit

Desserts

Loan Shark Brownie $5.25
A fudge brownie and blondie duo, topped with butter pecan ice cream. Served with chocolate sauce and a warm pecan caramel sauce. Topped with fresh whipped cream

Heavenly Delight Sun & Moon $4.25
Rich chocolate mousse in chocolate cake, covered with chocolate ganache, served with chocolate sauce and fresh orange segments

Passion Fruit Flavored Flan $4.25
Rich and creamy flan with the flavor of passion fruit

Caged White Chocolate Mousse $4.75
Rich white chocolate mousse served with mango and chocolate sauce. Garnished with fresh strawberries

Coconut Napoleon with Caramel Rum Sauce $4.75
Chocolate dipped shell filled with a coconut pastry cream and served with a caramel rum sauce and a vanilla sauce

BY THE WAY, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE CHORIZO STUFFED CHICKEN AND THE COCONUT NAPOLEAN...ITS VERY GOOD!

HERE'S AN ARTICLE ABOUT BOTH...http://www.themeparks.com/seaworld/orlando-dining01.htm

The food at Sharks is UNBELIEVABLE!!! It was soooo worth the money that we spent. Word of advice...they start taking reservations at 10 (I think) at the restaurant, and you need to be there early to get them. The line at lunchtime was awful, but we were able to walk right in. Ask when you purchase your tickets and get there early. That way you won't have to wait at all in line.

Just did Dine with Shamu on Sat., July 9. The food was easily forgettable, so don't go for that. Plus, the weather prevented us from seing the show (and no refunds due to weather!) Very disappointing, especially considering it cost us $150 for 4 adults, 2 children (that was with a 10% discount.) Add a tip, and the cost of the kids Shamu drink cups and it made it completely not worth the money (my kids are 4, and eat NOTHING!) Can't comment as to the quality of the show, since we didn't see it. However, I must say I thought they could have been a little more flexible. We sat and ate for easily 45 minutes before the trainer even came out to start talking. Meanwhile, the sky was getting darker and darker. He talked and talked, and just as it was time for Shamu, he announced there was lightning in the area and he had to stop. It was easy to see this storm was coming and I think they could have started the show a little early, since it was obvious a storm was brewing. I'm a little ticked about that. Oh well, I won't do it again.

We are debating between the 2 for our trip in August. I was concerned that because it was an outside venue and with thunderstorms that the Dining with Shamu would not be a good option. We have dined at Sharks several times before and have never been disappointed! Our kids love watching the sharks swim right in front of them!

Just thoughts
Kim :goodvibes

We did the dine with Shamu last March. I have done many character meals as Disney and Shamu doesn't even come close. The food was just so-so and the show wasn't really that much more than you would see if you go to the regular Shamu shows that are free. I did spend about 1/2 hour in the Shark Encounter but didn't eat there. Long story..I needed a plug for by DS's nebulizer ..he was having an asthma attack and first aid was really far away. The hostess was kind enough to let us sit at a table that had a nearby plug We got to enjoy the shark tanks while my son used the nebulizer. The kids loved it and I thought it was pretty awesome as well. I wished I spent my money their instead of at Shamu.

We did Dine with Shamu with two four year olds. A buffet is never fun or relaxing with young kids and the food was just average. After seeing shows all day, the kids were not that interested so it was a waste of money. They loved Sharks.

Dine with Shamu is a so-so buffet in an outdoor (covered) area, while Sharks Underwter Grill is indoor and air conditioned. Getting a table-service meal in the air conditioning is absolutely worth it to me mid-summer. Desserts at Sharks are particularly good!

We have done both and I have to say both were wonderful. The food was awsome in both places as was the setting. Depending on what your favorites are either would be wonderful for kids..

GREAT!!! TY Tampaman I was looking for a menu and price!!! U helped alot, my kids and I leave in 7days!!!:):)

STLmomof3 said:
GREAT!!! TY Tampaman I was looking for a menu and price!!! U helped alot, my kids and I leave in 7days!!!:):)

Have loads of fun
:jumping1:
Take lots of pics..We have almost as much fun with the pics when we get home as we do on vacation...

my husband and i went to seaworld in june, and i wanted to do this but he didnt... lol so i dont know what i missed lol

hello all,

booked the dine with shamu for two. Couple of questions:

1. when does the meal start? is it a set time, or do you come in at anytime while it is "open/serving"?
2. when does the show start? is it one show or continuous?
3. How long can you stay? are you kicked out after a certain amount of time?
4. how can I assure a "front row" table? Does a twenty to the hostess work?

thanks in advance...

:banana:

1. when does the meal start? is it a set time, or do you come in at anytime while it is "open/serving"?
It is a set time, you can only find out what time your seating is around a week ahead of time. At busy times of year there are two seatings, at off peak times only one seating. When you to get your Dine With Shamu "ticket", it will have the time for you to arrive.

2. when does the show start? is it one show or continuous?
Just one show, I'd say it starts about 30 minutes after the buffet line opens.

3. How long can you stay? are you kicked out after a certain amount of time?
You are "kicked out" after a certain amount of time. The tables are located in the backstage of the show area. When we went last time (off-peak, one seating) everyone had to be out so they could get ready for the Shamu Rocks America show. I imagine if there are two seatings and you're the early one, they'll clear everyone out either for a show, or to get set up for the second seating. It was handled very well though, we didn't feel like we were getting "booted"!

4. how can I assure a "front row" table? Does a twenty to the hostess work?
You can try a twenty, but tables are assigned as reservations are made. There are two rows of tables that seat four people, front gets assigned first. If you have a party of 6 or more, they will push the back row table up to butt up against the front row, so at least some of your party will get a front row seat.

I wouldn't hesitate to Dine With Shamu. It was our boys (5 &2) favorite of the entire trip, not just the trip to SeaWorld, the trip to Orlando!

What types of shrarks can you see when you dine? Are they the small kind. Also is it hard to get a table by the glass or can you pre book that? Thanks

Florida113 said:
What types of shrarks can you see when you dine? Are they the small kind. Also is it hard to get a table by the glass or can you pre book that? Thanks

This is the other side of the shark tunnel...They have some pretty big sharks in there..We didnt even ask for a table near the glass but were given one..the food was great and the sharks were increadable to watch...Well worth it...I also noted there was not a bad table in the resturant...not all were right next to the glass but all could see it beautifully...A down side to being next to the glass....rude people come and stand right in front of your table to see the sharks and block you at times....Our waitress made them move tho..
Both sharks and dinner with shamu were well worth the money...we would do both again in a heartbeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter