Dining Solo

KeroKero

DIS Veteran
I've got my first solo trip planned Oct 28-Nov 8 and have booked all but one of my TS restaurants. Just wondering what everyone's favourite places were to dine solo or any suggestions as to what places might be better (atmosphere, ambience etc) for a solo diner?

If you'd like to chat, I would recommend both the Biergarten in Germany and Teppan Edo in Japan. Delicious food and you'll be seated family style so will have a chance to meet new people if you like.

If you would like something to see while you eat, there are several options.
The Coral Reef and its beautiful aquarium
The Sci Fi Dine in for the "show"
The Flying Fish Cafe has a "counter seating" area where you can watch the chefs cook.

And, I love character meals whether I am solo or with family or friends.

When it is just my hubby and I we actually prefer to sit at bars and eat. Even if u have a ressie when u check in tell them you want to sit at the bar instead of a table, provided there is space. This way you can chat with others and the bartender. We have had good times doing this at multiple restaurants to include Jiko, flying fish, bluezoo, Cali grill, and Citricos.

Hello fellow Canadian! :wave2:

Those are exactly the same dates as my solo trip!

If there is a place that you are dying to try but can't see yourself doing solo, please let me know and maybe we can meet for a meal.

No issues dining solo at any restaurant at Disney. I have been hesitant to book character meals in the past but based on these boards I plan to do so on my upcoming trip. My favorites are based more on food quality...but there are some places I love for atmosphere
Be Our Guest- atmosphere/food/solo treatment all amazing
Brown Derby/ Mama Melrose- ditto
Yak and yeti- hands down favorite restaurant at WDw
Chefs de France- seated close to others so usually end up chatting...plus profiteroles!
Coral reef- amazing views of tank. Listen to wait staff about food choices
San Angel Inn- not a fan of the food, but the views are amazing...plus it is dark so solo ness is not emphasized. I will say the wait staff here was amazing to- I did not like my dinner so did not eat it and they were genuinely concerned and kept offering to bring me something else. Very sweet. All the waiters are very accommodating to the solo diner and I have always been pleased with my sit down meal experience solo!

No issues dining solo at any restaurant at Disney. I have been hesitant to book character meals in the past but based on these boards I plan to do so on my upcoming trip. My favorites are based more on food quality...but there are some places I love for atmosphere
Be Our Guest- atmosphere/food/solo treatment all amazing
Brown Derby/ Mama Melrose- ditto
Yak and yeti- hands down favorite restaurant at WDw
Chefs de France- seated close to others so usually end up chatting...plus profiteroles!
Coral reef- amazing views of tank. Listen to wait staff about food choices
San Angel Inn- not a fan of the food, but the views are amazing...plus it is dark so solo ness is not emphasized. I will say the wait staff here was amazing to- I did not like my dinner so did not eat it and they were genuinely concerned and kept offering to bring me something else. Very sweet. All the waiters are very accommodating to the solo diner and I have always been pleased with my sit down meal experience solo!
Chefs De France is a good one. Ask for a window seat and you can people watch the crowds walking by.

I love dining solo! My favorite solo dining was at Restaurant Marrakesh in the Morocco pavilion at EPCOT. It's quiet and tucked away, there's usually music and a belly dancer performing, and the food is fantastic. I don't feel rushed to leave so that other, larger parties can have my table. And it's one of the most authentic-feeling dining experiences at WDW (in my opinion). One last thing: the iced mint tea is really refreshing, I feel like I drink a gallon of it with my meal!

At MK, I like getting lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern, and ask for a seat by the window (the smaller tables for 1 or 2 people are usually located by the windows anyway), so that I can people-watch while I dine.

At DHS, I love Sci-Fi, it's quiet and cool and I enjoy watching the little video clips. It's neat seeing kids get excited about it, too, since most kids these days have never been to a drive-in movie theater before, so this is a foreign concept to them.

I usually do QS at AK, so I don't have much advice for there except I really enjoy the Yak Attack drink, it's delish.

At DTD, I eat at the bar at Raglan Road. I love the food there, and the entertainment is really cool and fun to watch. I usually buy a cute trinkety thing from their gift shop after my meal.

I love solo trips and don't mind dining alone. My next solo trip overlaps with yours, Nov. 1-7. Have a good time!

My favorite places to dine solo or not are Boma, California Grill, 50's Prime Time Cafe, Be Our Guest, and Beaches and Cream just to name my top choices.

With at least 15-20 solo trips behind me, I can make lots of suggestions. Sci Fi dine Inn is the best for a "first time solo TS" person. Everyone's just sitting facing the screen, kind of like eating in front of the TV at home, no problem. I liked a window table at Chefs de France, where I could people watch. Just a word of warning-I don't know if it's one way glass or what, but I had several people from outside come right up to the window and stare in. Kind of strange! And a tank-side table at Coral Reef is fun too. Wherever you go, be sure to point out to the CM who seats you that since you're alone and will have no one to talk with and pass the time, you'd really appreciate a table with "something to look at". I've got tables with great views that way. And as far as Character meals, yes I love them solo. I never thought I'd say that, but when I finally got up the nerve to try a Character meal, I found that I was having so much fun watching the families interact with the characters that the meal went by fairly quickly. And if you're afraid of people noticing a solo adult there (I was), I found that no one noticed anything except "Where's the enxt character?" I prefer the Epcot area, Cape May breakfast. With the high number of conventioneers in the area, there are always other solo adults eating breakfast. And I'm afraid in my experience, I wouldn't recommend Teppen Edo or Biergarten. I ate at Teppen Edo and got seated next to a teenaged girl who hated being there with her family, I think. My attempts to be friendly and ask her questions were met with those monsylabic grunts teenagers can do so well. At the end of the meal, I don't know which one of us was more grateful to leave. However, one time when DH and I were at Biergarten, we had a solo at our table, and we talked with him, and all had a great time. I'm sure (I hope) he went back and would recommend "communal dining".

I like jiko and eating at counter looking into kitchen. Also California grill is great for people watching and you can eat at bar. If you eat on patio of brown derby another good people watching place.

Yes, I enjoyed Jiko too. I'd totally forgotten, but when I was there, the salad-maker made me a salad I didn't order, just for me to try it out, like "review" it.

Be sure to check out the lounges too. I ate at the lounge in Italy (Tutto Gusto?) and it was great food in a cool, wine cellar atmosphere.

Hey guys,
so a little off topic, would it be real weird to have a solo dine at Victoria and Albert's? I have always wanted to go there and not for the romantic side, but more for the experience.:confused3 Would love to go there:cloud9:

Hey guys,
so a little off topic, would it be real weird to have a solo dine at Victoria and Albert's? I have always wanted to go there and not for the romantic side, but more for the experience.:confused3 Would love to go there:cloud9:

Hey there! Chiming in to answer you. Just went on a solo trip like 2 weeks ago. Although I didn't go to V&A, I did go to Monsieur Paul (similar atmosphere.) Not going to lie to you, pretty awkward when you are solo. This was the only place that I felt uncomfortable/out of place on my entire trip, and not for lack of understanding/appreciating fine dining. However awkward, though, I did still get to see and experience a place that I really wanted to go. So if you really want to see V&A, and you can power through the awkward, I'd say go for it. But I just wanted to be honest with you and tell you that it is somewhat uncomfortable.

Happy dining!

Although I haven't been to V&A solo, I often meet up with other solos for a meal, and one was telling me that she had a solo meal at V&A coming up in a few nights. I've eaten solo at Jiko, Narcoose's, and California Grill, and never felt uncomfortable. At all 3, it seemed to me that the servers made a little extra effort to make sure I wasn't uncomfortable solo.

Hey there! Chiming in to answer you. Just went on a solo trip like 2 weeks ago. Although I didn't go to V&A, I did go to Monsieur Paul (similar atmosphere.) Not going to lie to you, pretty awkward when you are solo. This was the only place that I felt uncomfortable/out of place on my entire trip, and not for lack of understanding/appreciating fine dining. However awkward, though, I did still get to see and experience a place that I really wanted to go. So if you really want to see V&A, and you can power through the awkward, I'd say go for it. But I just wanted to be honest with you and tell you that it is somewhat uncomfortable.

Happy dining!

I think it all depends on the situation...the waiter, the night, etc. I went to Monsieur Paul and had an AMAZING dinner. Great service, wonderful food, and didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

Here's a pic of me there last year :)

AA072064-72B2-4473-9944-11A7846ECF80-60919-000027623855DA88.jpg

Also, when I was at V&A I noticed a solo diner, and she seemed to be having a nice time.

Hey, so I chickened out and didn't go for v&a. Made solo ressies to Sanaa, Sci fi, 1900 park, and Akershus. Maybe next trip I'll have the guts to do so. Thanks for the advice aacvacation, simba's mom, and Chrisny2.

Hey, so I chickened out and didn't go for v&a. Made solo ressies to Sanaa, Sci fi, 1900 park, and Akershus. Maybe next trip I'll have the guts to do so. Thanks for the advice aacvacation, simba's mom, and Chrisny2.

Sounds delicious! Especially Sanaa!

I was also thinking about trying TS solo (usually just stick w/QS). I was wondering about how afternoon tea would be at GF solo. Anyone have any experience w/that?

I have a feeling that if I do try more solo TS meals, I might just save the decision to make while I'm in the park & try a walk up instead of worrying about what ADR to make. I like to park hop & one thing I love about my solo trips is the freedom to do whatever I want in the moment.

I enjoy the food at R&C & I especially love being there at night for the fireworks viewing area, so that might be one on my list for my next solo trip. I was also thinking about Sanaa at sunset to watch the animals during feeding time. Anything that would give me something to look at to keep me occupied sounds like it would make the experience more comfortable.

I have been meaning to try 50's Prime Time, but not too sure solo..I am planning my next trip in mid August so I will report back w/any experiences I have then! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter