• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

dining solo... lets discuss..

I'm going on my 1st solo trip in May and was able to get all my adrs without any problem. I was kinda worried about a character meal; but everyone assures me that it won't be a bother. :)

I have had no trouble dining solo, but then again I do it all the time at home as well. I too was a little concerned a little before my first solo trip last spring, but it was great. I was even able to switch around some ADRs or eat early even though it was in the heart of March Spring Break time. I found the servers always helpful and never made me feel uncomfortable. Like many of the previous posters said, the bars at certain restaurants were nice when available. I ate at the bar at Jiko and had a wonderful dinner as well as good conversation with some other single eaters. It was also fun to watch the appetizers prepared. Same with Flying Fish, I was able to sit at the bar that overlooks the kitchen area. I think they may have made that a separate dining experience now, but still great fun. However, bars aren't always necessary for me. I've eaten at California Grille at a table, and they gave me a great two top at the window so I just watched the sun set over Seven Seas Lagoon. I've also dined solo at Victoria and Alberts. Once again an amazing experience. I had a table located right next to the harp player so it felt that I was getting a personal concert while eating some of the best food I have ever tasted.

So the long story short, only you can decide if you want to eat solo at a TS restaurant. But don't think you will feel out of place or be made to feel unwelcome. I found the opposite to be true.

Great thread! I just book CSR for my first solo trip! :cool1: I think i'll be ok at TS meals. I can't wait to go to Teppan Edo again! And I was thinking the Flying Fish. My DS16 doesn't like to go to TS with a dress code. :lmao:

I want to go back to the Whispering Canyon Cafe, but do you know if 1 person can get the Canyon Skillet? I only went there for my DS16 last year, but I ended up loving it. :rolleyes:

I just have to come up with one more TS! Maybe Germany or Norway, I like to try something new again.

I dine alone often mostly because I travel for work and it's just works out that way. I normally take my DS with me (yes I have one and play it often) or my kindle and just read. and of course there's always people watching and that's always entertaining. I don't think anyone notices me, I normally make friends with the bartender as others have said before, so I'm really never alone. I have my vacation planned for May and I have several ADR's made just for me, including dessert at the Tormorrowland Terrace...

I don't mind eating solo (well, I'd rather have company) I like the buffets, so many tasty choices, if the CM just keeps my beer glass full, I'm pretty happy! :lmao:
I think I'd feel odd at Character Buffets, but I love CP!
I would like to try O'hana though, but I'm afraid the large platters of food will be ridiculous! I can't eat it all myself and I hate wasting food. What happens to the left overs?

There was a time that I had reservations about dining alone both in and out of the World, but I have long gotten over it. I went on my first solo trip to WDW a year ago when I was on a conference for work in Orlando. I extended the trip (at my expense!) and stayed 3 nights at WDW. I LOVED it! After years and years of having 3 kids and my husband to cater to at WDW, I could do anything and eat anywhere I wanted!

For meals I made ADRs at Jiko, the Brown Derby, Coral Reef. I ended up eating at the bar at most places. One surprise was Raglan Road, I loved it and had a blast with 'neighbors' at the bar! I always brought something to read, usually notes from my WDW planning and a journal to write things down. My back up was my cell or iPod! I am hoping to plan a solo trip this December or my oldest DD may join me...here's hoping for FD!!:goodvibes

I don't mind eating solo (well, I'd rather have company) I like the buffets, so many tasty choices, if the CM just keeps my beer glass full, I'm pretty happy! :lmao:
I think I'd feel odd at Character Buffets, but I love CP!
I would like to try O'hana though, but I'm afraid the large platters of food will be ridiculous! I can't eat it all myself and I hate wasting food. What happens to the left overs?

The only thing you'll get too much of at your table are the starters. So the salad, noodles, and potstickers will come in "bulk" but the meat is brought to your table on long skewers. You'll only get a few pieces of meat at a time, so there isn't a waste with the meat. Maybe they can bring you the starters on smaller plates if you ask them? :)

Must admit I am a little apprehensive about eating table service solo, even though I have eaten solo on business trips countless times.

Bit, I have 4 ADRs planned for my September/October trip (I have free CS DP). So far I plan to eat at Boma, Yachtsman's, Sanaa and Tusker House (lunch).

Perhaps once I am there I may be brave enough to try for one or two more - depends how I feel I guess :)

Must admit I am a little apprehensive about eating table service solo, even though I have eaten solo on business trips countless times.

Bit, I have 4 ADRs planned for my September/October trip (I have free CS DP). So far I plan to eat at Boma, Yachtsman's, Sanaa and Tusker House (lunch).

Perhaps once I am there I may be brave enough to try for one or two more - depends how I feel I guess :)

I spent 3 days solo at POR last June-fun!
Consider Boatwright's Hall. It has a great atmosphere, food was delicious and really nice CM. The bar just off the Lobby is a wonderful place to sit with a beer or drink before or after dinner, comfy sofas! I had a beer and snack at the poolbar too, something I've never done alone, and I was very comfortable.
Oh have fun !

I spent 3 days solo at POR last June-fun!
Consider Boatwright's Hall. It has a great atmosphere, food was delicious and really nice CM. The bar just off the Lobby is a wonderful place to sit with a beer or drink before or after dinner, comfy sofas! I had a beer and snack at the poolbar too, something I've never done alone, and I was very comfortable.
Oh have fun !

Thanks Mullysisters :)
I have a nice long 14 days solo at POR, so I think the lounge and pool bar will become home from home lol
I've eaten at Boatwrights before and not to keen on the menu (I'm a fussy old bugger!).

Has anyone ever done a dinner show solo? I have never been to one and am not even sure how the tables are set up.

Thank you for posting this thread! I have booked my first real solo trip for October. I have no problems dining solo, but wasn't sure what TS restaurants to check out. It's great to hear that many of the restaurants are enjoyable to eat at whether at the bar or at a table.
I was also not sure if I should do ADRs or just wing it. Going solo I love the idea that I will be able to eat where and whenever I want. Has anyone gone without ADRs? Just curious.

Has anyone ever done a dinner show solo? I have never been to one and am not even sure how the tables are set up.

I've done Hoop De Doo and the Luau... it's no different than dining anywhere else.. I also had very nice servers (one ended up being the mom of someone I went to school with!!!). You often have nice people to talk to also. Hoop De Doo has tables for 2 and I have been seated both on the side and right up front. The entertainers are very nice too... they will make you feel comfortable.

Thank you for posting this thread! I have booked my first real solo trip for October. I have no problems dining solo, but wasn't sure what TS restaurants to check out. It's great to hear that many of the restaurants are enjoyable to eat at whether at the bar or at a table.
I was also not sure if I should do ADRs or just wing it. Going solo I love the idea that I will be able to eat where and whenever I want. Has anyone gone without ADRs? Just curious.

Make ADR's... if you can't get a ressie for 1... then do it for 2 (the computer system is wacky...) (they will still seat you at a 2 top) then when you get there, just tell them your solo (I say that my dinner companion didn't make it, because I make ADR's for 2 because I have friends in Orlando that I sometimes get to meet for a meal...)

can you eat at Cal Grill without an adr at the bar? I know it would depend on avail.

The lounge and bar area is not set up for ADRs. If you can find a seat, you can sit and order. Sometimes you might need to wait for people who are waiting for their ADRs, and sometimes you'll find a bunch of other people sitting there eating. I ate at the bar in December, but at a time where I didn't have to deal with the fireworks crowd. I had no problem getting a spot at the bar.

I want to go back to the Whispering Canyon Cafe, but do you know if 1 person can get the Canyon Skillet?

Yes, you should be able to get the skillet by yourself. You might want to tell the server that you'd prefer a half portion of the items because you don't want to waste food. If you want more of any item, the server will bring more.

How easy do you think it might be to get LAST MINUTE solo dining at the bar in the Prime Time Cafe at DHS ?

No problem whatsoever. I stop in there all the time. If there is not a stool available when you get there, one will open up quickly, just order a drink from any one of my friends who are the bartenders there and hang out.

How easy do you think it might be to get LAST MINUTE solo dining at the bar in the Prime Time Cafe at DHS ?

Darcy's correct. There's no such thing as "last minute" at the Tune In Lounge because it's just that....a lounge. People will sit there waiting for their party to be called in to sit in the restaurant, so you might need to wait for a spot at the bar to open. It's first-come, first-served like all lounges.

Has anyone tried solo dining at Teppan Edo? Isn't that still more like 'communal dining' with entertainment: the chef? It has been years since I ate at the Biergartern in the Germany -- is that still communal?

First solo trip: May, 2011. :woohoo:

I have... it's good... they usually fit you in with other people. I tend to find nice people there to talk to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter