dining solo... lets discuss..

Tink rules

<font color=teal>The kids in my family sometimes t
Sorry if it's been discussed... (links if it has been please...)

I've done wdw solo many times before but not in several years (I've traveled with family...)

So.. it's been a while since I dined solo... any tips?

When looking for a place to eat if you don't have an ADR ask if they have a bat you can sit at. Some (not all) WDW restaurants have a bar that you can sit it and enjoy full service...Plus you can befriend the bartender...and that's always a good thing. :wizard:

When looking for a place to eat if you don't have an ADR ask if they have a bat you can sit at. Some (not all) WDW restaurants have a bar that you can sit it and enjoy full service...Plus you can befriend the bartender...and that's always a good thing. :wizard:

I second this comment and have many friends at WDW who are CM Bartenders. Its great to have someone to chat with, enjoy a great meal and NEVER EVER EVER feel alone.

Yep, ditto. I eat at a bar at home, so I feel comfortable eating at one at the World.

For the parks; Yak 'n Yeti at AK and Prime Time 50's Cafe in DHS are my favs.

Resorts - Lounge in the WL with some nice snacks; their flatbreads are to die for. Bar in Cali Grill is really small and sometimes really hard to catch, but I love their cheese platter.

DTD - RFC and T-Rex both have nice bars and the turnover is good because people are just sitting waiting for a table. They play alot of sports stuff on the TV and it is nice to hit there on a weekend afternoon. Also Paradiso 37 and Raglan Road have fantastic appetizer menus and good beer.

I'm very comfortable eating solo at WDW-now! However, I've taken well over 15 solo trips. The first few trips, I only did CS dining, but I kept thinking "I SHOULD be able to do sit-down solo, some people do", so about the third trip I tried it. Wrong! I guess I just wasn't ready. After a couple more CS trips, I got sick of balancing my tray looking for a table, so I went back to TS dining. I found that as long as I brought either a book, or a journal, I was fine. What I enjoy doing (besides people watching) is to bring a small notebook to write down things into-what specifically I've eaten, what rides I've done, good/bad things that have happened, etc. Then when I get home, I tuck it away with all my other souveniers and get to read it years later. It's a nice little thing to have.

I ate solo at the Nine Dragon's in Epcot and I gotta say that it was a wonderfull experience. Great service, good food, and was great because I felt all fancy by myself. And I could spend more money because it was just myself which meant more drinks:thumbsup2

That's interesting to hear-that's probably one of the few places I haven't dined solo before. I was a little unsure if the cuisine was "solo friendly" or more geared to multiple people sharing entrees. What did you have?

when i finally decided to go to a TS solo, i chose sci fi at DHS. as others had told me, i was very comfortable since everyone was facing the big movie screen and i had something to look at. i was in the back seat of the car and the family in the front two rows was boring but i was very comfortable. haven't tried any place else at disney yet.

when i finally decided to go to a TS solo, i chose sci fi at DHS. as others had told me, i was very comfortable since everyone was facing the big movie screen and i had something to look at. i was in the back seat of the car and the family in the front two rows was boring but i was very comfortable. haven't tried any place else at disney yet.

I had a great time dining solo at Sci Fi. I had the front seat of a car and the best server.

I also dined alone at Jiko, Flying Fish, the Wave and Kona. I don't like to eat at the bar so I always had a table - some good and some not so good.

My best advice before attempting to eat solo at WDW is to practice at home - even if it means sitting in a crowded lunch room at work, eating by yourself (this is what I did and it helped a lot so that I was quite used to it before I went - people around me in small groups talking and chatting and me by myself, enjoying only my company).

I have gone solo a few times and always dreaded the meals... I did not want to dine alone. So most of the time I went back to the room and had the college student special - glass of wine with chips and salsa for dinner.

I never thought of eating at the bar - as Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!"

If I go back again solo - definitely something I will do!

Hi,

I've eaten solo at nearly every WDW restaurant, including California Grill on December 12, 2003, where I ate at the counter.

Jim

I ate at many table service restaurants in my recent trip and found that WDW is incredably solo dining friendly. I ate at: The Wave, Boma, Grand Floridian Cafe, Tappen Edo, Chefs de France, Yachtsman Steakhouse, California Grill, Le Cellier, Big River Grill and Momma Melrose. I didn't sit at any bars and ate at prime dining times as opposed to what others seem to reccomend and I felt really comfortable. The waiters are really friendly and seem to go out of their way to make sure you are having a good meal. I also would look at the pictures on my digital camera or update my profile on Facebook with my Blackberry if I got bored. I never felt rushed and often would linger over a cup of coffee or tea and releax and enjoy the suroundings.

The only complaints I had was the closeness of the tables at Le Cellier...I was way too close to the people around me and felt that if I looked around me other tables would think I was staring at them... the food and wait staff were wonderful but I just felt a bit cramped.

The other restaurant I didn't like was the California Grill. It was on a Friday night and was very busy. I should have asked to sit at the bar here because it looked like fun. I did get a table by the window and even though I was too late for the MK fireworks I did see Illuminations over at Epcot. The gripe with this restaurant is that the food was bad...tough steak and very noisy...also the waitress was trying to be nice and make conversation but I could tell she was just going through the motions and nothing I was saying was sinking in. All of this might have been coloured by the fact that I had a migraine :headache: but I just wouldn't want to dine there again.

One great thing I found as a solo diner was that I had no problems getting in to a restaurant. For some reasons I made my ADR's late at night but I found I was hungry around my normal supper time of 6pm :lmao: I found that if I went to the podium and checked in early and let them know I was willing to wait they got me in within a few minutes. I know at Chefs de France I checked in around 8pm and asked if I could sit by the window so I could see Illuminations. The hostess told me that it would be very unlikely and I was very polite and told her that I understood if she couldn't but I was willing to wait. A few minutes later my name was called and I had a nice table by the window :yay: I don't know if it was because I was nice to her or because I was a solo diner or a combanation of both :confused3

Anyway...please don't hesitate to dine by yourself...no one looked at me strangly (at least I didn't notice it) and it's a shame to miss out on such great food!

Susan

Today (January 30) I just returned from two back to back Disney cruises and I had eaten every meal alone but two.

How far ahead did you make your ADR's for your solo dining?

I know it's often difficult to make ADR's for 2, since most restaurants don't have very many 2 tops, but it's easier to make an ADR for 3 since there are more 4 tops. Does this crowd the solo diner out of a table?

If you want to eat at the bar, do you still need an ADR?

ok so hi i am from the dl side of the boards. but i guess this goes for Disneylan california also as a solo diner, yes i ask for bar seating that way it's not so wiered when people stare at me cause i am eating alone..

but also i tend to just snack so i don't bother with having to do a sit down dinner all by my self, sometimes it's wiered to do it and sometimes it's not..

Originally I was going at the end of feb; but had to change my res to1st part of may and had no problem whatsoever changing my dates. i just put in for 1 person and bam; got what i wanted.

I'm going next week :yay: and was able to get everything I wanted within 2 1/2 weeks. I also got on last night and checked out one more and it was available. I'm doing Le Chefs de France, Via Napoli, Rain Forest-AK, and Jiko. Just get on the website and start planning to see what you can get. :goodvibes

Terri

I've never made reservations on line. I'm a DVC owner so I've always gone through member services in the past for reservations.
Would you mind giving me the web site for on line dining reservations? Do I need a resort reservation #?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter