Dining rotation table size

debc1212

Mouseketeer
On our upcoming cruise we will have a much larger group than our first and only cruise.

On upcoming cruise (Alaska on the Wonder) our party will include: me, DH, DS, DS, MIL, SIL. We are also going with another family of four (2 adults, 2 kids). Our family of 6 wants to sit together and we have linked our reservations- not sure if that will keep us at same table or just in same rotation. The other family of 4 has also linked with our reservations.

How does the seating work? Is there a table large enough to seat all 10 of us? Is there a way to ensure MIL & SIL are seated with us & not alone?
Can I call DCL to talk to someone if I am not concierge level?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If your reservations are linked, you have told DCL that you want to be seated together. You can call DCL (or have TA do it if you used one) and be sure they are linked. Then, after boarding, go to "dining changes" to be sure you got what you wanted.

Normal table sizes are 4, 6, and 8 but they will put tables together to allow larger parties to sit together. The biggest I've ever been at was 18!

kcashner, thank you so much for your quick and informative response!

My main concern was that MIL & SIL are seated with us four. We would love for our friends to join us too if there is room. Now I feel better about what to do.

Thanks again. :thumbsup2

We had 19 in our group on the Magic and instead of 1 huge table, we requested 2 smaller ones. Due to friends/family dynamics, we made it 11 & 8.
I can't see them telling a group of 10 you can't sit together due to group size. I discussed our desired seating arrangement with our TA & she made the proper requests to DCL. It worked out perfectly.
Have a great cruise!!:goodvibes

Do they also take requests for smaller tables? Would they make an exception for someone cruising on their honeymoon? Table for 2 maybe? :confused3

Do they also take requests for smaller tables? Would they make an exception for someone cruising on their honeymoon? Table for 2 maybe? :confused3

There are no 2 person tables. The smallest is a 4-top.

You can put a request on your reservation to be seated alone, but DCL will point out that it is just a request. Many such requests are honored, some are not.

You would have a better chance of sitting by yourselves if you have late dinner seating.

:cutie:

Yep!, We were a group of two and we always ask for a 4 top for 2 people! We have gotten it every time. One time when we traveled with 5 we asked for a 4 top for 5, and we got it! They will always try to get you what you want!

what does that mean? 4 top for 5? I was curious if our family could get our own table at dinner.. we are a group of 5 and our reservation were done on line but we linked them. Where do I ask for our table together?

On both our cruises we put in a request by email for a table for 2 at the second seating. Both times we got what we wanted. I made sure of that at the desk they open for questions about dining arrangements during embarkation day.

what does that mean? 4 top for 5? I was curious if our family could get our own table at dinner.. we are a group of 5 and our reservation were done on line but we linked them. Where do I ask for our table together?

Just make your request with DCL or your TA. I prefer to request in advance so there's a better chance I'll get my request and that they won't have to move a lot people around to make it happen.

We have never not been given our seating request in 9 cruises with DCL. (not seating time but # of guests that a table can seat.) We have cruised with between 2 to 19 in our group. For the cruises with 17 & 19, we requested 2 tables.

Just make your request with DCL or your TA. I prefer to request in advance so there's a better chance I'll get my request and that they won't have to move a lot people around to make it happen.

We have never not been given our seating request in 9 cruises with DCL. (not seating time but # of guests that a table can seat.) We have cruised with between 2 to 19 in our group. For the cruises with 17 & 19, we requested 2 tables.

Thank you this is great information for me. On your 17 & 19 people cruises, you said 2 tables but did you have the same servers so that you could switch around a bit? If you had not asked for separate tables, would they have put you all together? Service might be a bit slow correct?

Thank you this is great information for me. On your 17 & 19 people cruises, you said 2 tables but did you have the same servers so that you could switch around a bit? If you had not asked for separate tables, would they have put you all together? Service might be a bit slow correct?

yes, both times we had the same servers & we did switch around a little. On the 17 ppl cruise, when my parents went to Palo, we made 1 adult table, 1 kids table. Kids ages ranged from 10 to 16 so they weren't exactly little kids. We wouldn't do that if they were say 4 - 10 yrs old.

Both times we chose 2 tables because we felt service would be slower/more diffult to serve 19 & have us all get hot food at the same time. Also we grouped according tor relationships. Since my SIL(married to dh's bro) brought a friend & her family that the rest of us barely knew it made sense for them to sit together & knowing my other SIL (dh's sis) would prefer to sit with my in laws more than sit with my other SIL's friends. kwim?

On our 1st big group cruise I thought it all happened by chance & I was amazed thinking DCL somehow "knew" who was related to whom, even though each family had a different last name. How could they know our maiden names too? It was a cruise with our neighbors/friends and both our parents & my neighbor's brother & his family. As it turns out, it was my TA who told DCL which families were related.

So now we know to plan ahead so it's not left to chance or leave our TA figuring out who would want to be with whom.

Sorry this is long & confusing. Some things are harder to explain in writing. :goodvibes

yes, both times we had the same servers & we did switch around a little. On the 17 ppl cruise, when my parents went to Palo, we made 1 adult table, 1 kids table. Kids ages ranged from 10 to 16 so they weren't exactly little kids. We wouldn't do that if they were say 4 - 10 yrs old.

Both times we chose 2 tables because we felt service would be slower/more diffult to serve 19 & have us all get hot food at the same time. Also we grouped according tor relationships. Since my SIL(married to dh's bro) brought a friend & her family that the rest of us barely knew it made sense for them to sit together & knowing my other SIL (dh's sis) would prefer to sit with my in laws more than sit with my other SIL's friends. kwim?

On our 1st big group cruise I thought it all happened by chance & I was amazed thinking DCL somehow "knew" who was related to whom, even though each family had a different last name. How could they know our maiden names too? It was a cruise with our neighbors/friends and both our parents & my neighbor's brother & his family. As it turns out, it was my TA who told DCL which families were related.

So now we know to plan ahead so it's not left to chance or leave our TA figuring out who would want to be with whom.

Sorry this is long & confusing. Some things are harder to explain in writing. :goodvibes

I appreciate it seriously. We have 17-20 people going BECAUSE of us. We are having our vow renewal so they all chose to go because of that. We have family and friends. All the friends know each other, the family of course knows each other, but the two groups have only been together once as we had a get to know each other dinner. Our "kids" are 16-26 so that isn't an issue. But we thought perhaps we could do one set of servers and move around a bit so that everyone feels important to us...well, they should know that but you know what I mean. LOL

Yep!, We were a group of two and we always ask for a 4 top for 2 people! We have gotten it every time. One time when we traveled with 5 we asked for a 4 top for 5, and we got it! They will always try to get you what you want!

Good to know, I will definitely have to give them a call and make sure its noted. Thanks!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter