Dining Reviews from first week of July - on DDP

Dennyha

DIS Veteran
Sorry for procrastinating on this review.

DW, DS21, and DD18, and I made a quick stop at WDW during the first week in July. We were on the DDP.

Upon arrival at BC, we had to wait because our room wasn't ready yet. We were checked in, but with no room number. We walked out to SAR, and decided to get lunch at Hurricane Hanna's, using our first set of CS's. Three of us order hamberger/cheeseburgers, and one ordered the chicken fingers. Instead of fries (like most CS's), Hurricane Hannas provides a bag of potato chips as your side. This was definately our most disappointing CS meal of the trip. The hambergers were singles, and thin enough to read a paper through. A side of potato chips is not a substitute for a side of fries. I would recommend against Hurricane Hannas for anything other than a drink or ice cream, and REALLY recommend against burning a CS credit here.

Our first TS was at Wolfgang Puck's Cafe in DTD. This was great. The atmosphere was very lively and contemporary. The service was great, and we loved the food. The sushi on the menu can not be used for your appetizer. For appetizers, we had the crab cakes, the calamari, the spinach and cheese dip, and the spring rolls. We all tasted each others' appetizers, and they were all great. For entrees, we had 3 filet mignons, and a cheese ravioli. Again, everything was great. We were stuffed, and ordered dessert to go. We ordered the chocolate fondue (can't go wrong), the key lime pie, the white chocolate cheesecake, and the Chef Marian's Carrot Cake. All of the desserts were good, but everyone's favorite was the Carrot Cake. It was unbelieveable. WP's Cafe is definately a place I would recommend, and it is a great place to use a TS credit.

Our next CS was at Cosmic Ray's Cafe. This place has the greatest selection of any CS I've seen at the parks. We had one BBQ Ribs meal, two cheeseburger meals, and an order of chicken fingers (do you see a trend here?). The ribs meal came with mashed potatoes and veggies, and the chicken fingers and burgers came with fries. Dessert was a brownie, two chocolate cakes and a carrot cake. Cosmic Ray's is a great value, the selection is unbeatable, and the food is good. This would be a great CS for a day where you have no TS's to use. This CS could be your main meal.

Our next TS was Coral Reef. We've eaten here before, and love the restaurant. The food has always been great, but we had the worst service on this visit that we've ever had. I won't go into the details, other than to say that our server forgot to deliver an appetizer, forgot to take our dessert order (we had to ask to place our order), and delivered the wrong desserts ( by this time, we just wanted to leave). Appetizers were shrimp cocktail (huge!), lobster soup, and mushroom soup. Entrees were crab cakes, NY strip steak, mahi mahi, and chicken breast. Desserts were 2 chocolate waves, and butterscotch brulee (was supposed to be a California Gold), and a cheesecake. My biggest regret was that, since we were on the DDP, I couldn't show my displeasure by reducing my tip. Despite the problem with our server, I would still highly recommend Coral Reef on the DDP. It would be quite pricey if you were paying cash.

Our Epcot CS was Electric Umbrella. The burgers are all doubles, with cheese and bacon if you wish. They have a great fixins bar, and the burgers come with a side of fries. This place just showed what a poor value Hurricane Hanna's was. Electric Umbrella is a great CS.

Our last TS was at San Angel Inn at Epcot. Our daughter picked this as her choice. We had a nice table next to the water. Appetizers were nachos (good, in fact the best part of the meal) and an order of Ceviche. I don't recall our entrees. Dessert was disappointing, as we had a choice of rice pudding, vanilla ice cream, or flaun. This was definatley our most disappointing TS meal, but I do give a thumbs up for the atmosphere and the service.

Thanks for sharing your reviews! I hope we don't have your server at Coral Reef :sad2: . Hope you had a great trip overall!

Thanks, we had a great trip. I wouldn't let a bad waitor spoil my Disney trip. :Pinkbounc

How was the Shrimp cocotail at the Coral Reef? (besides HUGE!, lol!) I have read several recent posts about poor quality shrip but I am still debating wether or not to order it in Sept.... Thanks. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the reviews. Wolfgang Puck sounded really good. I'll have to remember it for the next trip.

Who had the best entree at CR? I can't decide between the mahi-mahi or the steak for our upcoming trip! :confused3 (and, yes, it helps to decide now, because I'll be alone taking my 5yo dd & she must have ALL of my attention, ALL of the time... :rolleyes1 )

Thanks for the reviews!! :thumbsup2

I am torn between the lobster soup/shrimp cocktail/ceaser with chicken for the appetizer, and between flounder or steak for the entree. Did the lobster soup have chunks of real lobster in it? If so, I'm sooooo ordering it!

We're dining at Wolfgang Puck Cafe later this month and I am really looking forward to it. I like your idea of getting your desserts to go, but how do you get fondue to go? That's for sure what I'll be getting and I'm curious how it was and how you took it along.

Thanks for the great reviews!

The shrimp in the shrimp cocktails were great. They were firm, and tasty.

At CR, my wife really enjoyed her steak. One of my favorites was the pan seared crab cake. It is quite large, served over a sort of hash browned potatoe, and drizzled in a mustard sauce. Fantastic. This last visit, the flounder was gone, and therefore unavailable, but I've heard it is great also. The mahi mahi was very good, but if I went again, I go for the crab cake, or try the flounder.

The lobster soup, as I recall, didn't have chunks of lobster in it.

The fondue at WPC was prepared to go by filling a small plastic container with liquid chocolate. Next to the plastic container, they included strawberries, chunks of cake, etc. We warmed the chocolate in a microwave (but you wouldn't have to) and dipped the fruit or cake pieces into it.

Just realized that I had some pictures of entrees from Wolfgang Puck's Cafe and San Angel Inn.

From Wolfgang Puck's Cafe.

The Grilled Angus Filet
photo004.jpg

The Three Cheese Ravioli
photo003.jpg

From San Angel Inn

Combinacion Cozumel
photo002.jpg

Plato Mexicano
photo001.jpg

Great reviews, thanks for taking the time to post! DH and I are looking forward to trying Coral Reef next trip. Hopefully we'll get a different server! :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter