Dining reviews !! Aug. 8 - 14, part 2

Pryncess'mom

DIS Veteran
Just a review, 5 people, myself, DH, DS, DS, DD (kids 15, 12, 4)

On our second day we ate breakfast in our room. I had packed cereal and poptarts and bought milk at the general Store at POR. We kept a small cooler in the room with bottled water, milk, juice and soda, along with packaged snacks from home.

Went to MGM, boys split from us right away!! While waiting for a FP time, we were checking out the interactive things under Mickey's hat, and I ran over to Hollywood & Vine and made PS for 5:00 that night. The boys ate turkey legs from the cart by TOT, and DH, DD and myself ate at Backlot Express. We all had hotdogs, and fries. The adult hot dogs were a nice big size, firm, but not too crunchy!! ( We would soon be tired of fries !!! LOL, but they were good!) Boys met us and had sodas. Eating at counter service places usually ran us about $20-$25 for the three of us.

After going back to the resort for a swim and break, we went back to MGM for our Fantasmic PS. We got to the podium just about 5 and waitied about 5 minutes until they called us. This was our first time in this restaurant, and I highly recommend it!! It is a buffet, and some of the entrees were great. The boys liked the turkey and mashed potatoes. I liked the garlic crusted prime rib, and the pineapple teriyaki lo mein. Very good!! DH liked the seafood pasta, shrimp and scallops in marinara. DD liked the child's buffet, featuring hot dogs, macaroni and cheese and barbeque meatballs. ( I tasted these and they were quite good.) DD lived on hot dogs and mac and cheese, but it was food she would eat!! They also had baked chicken, roast pork in sweet and sour sauce, salmon, baked beans, sweet potatoes, salads, various vegetables, and breads. Drinks were included, and dessert also. They had key lime cake, pineapple upside down cake, brownies and strawberry cake. Also, ice cream and various toppings. The five of us ate for $67.06. Buffets work well for us as DH and DS are usually big eaters. We got our blue card for fantasmic seating and saw a really great show on very full bellies!! More later!! Hope everyone isn't too bored!!:Pinkbounc

How can one be bored when food is involved?!?

My family will be arriving on a Saturday and looking for a Fantasmic Dinner Package for that Monday or Tuesday. We have really top notch Italian food in Southern New England so I really don't want to dine at Mama Melrose.

Reviews like yours give me hope if Brown Derby isn't available.
My only concern is that my DH does not eat red meat or much meat at all. He does enjoy fish so it sounds like there would be a small selection for him at the buffet.

Thanks for sharing and keep those reviews coming!

--penny

where is the fantasmic ps and is it expensive. thank you for any reply. also do you get better seating with a dinner package.

The Fantasmic dinner package is offered at Hollywood & Vine, Mama Melrose's and Hollywood Brown Derby. You simply make the PS requesting Fantasmic, and pay for dinner. It depends on how many in your party. You must order an entree for each adult in the party. Dinner for the five of us (3 adults, 2 kids) was $67.00. You get a special pass for seating. You enter through the back of the theater ( they give you directions) and there are 2 sections you can sit in. They are on the far right side of the theater, but there are really no bad seats. Hope this helps. good luck!!

thank you for your reply. which one did you eat at. was it worth the money. i don't mind spending if the food is good . isn't one of them a buffet style. thank you again.

thank you for your reply. which one did you eat at. was it worth the money. i don't mind spending if the food is good . isn't one of them a buffet style. thank you again.:bounce:

Maggie: you should also know that the Fantasmic package can only be booked onsite, you can't make them over the phone. :)

mattscath, thank you again for your reply. just getting all the info i can about different things in disney. we are going next year which isn't too far off. thank you for your reply , much appreciated. also which of those 3 are the best place to eat. . thanks again.

Just a note - we had a terrible meal at Mama Melrose last week. It was the only bad meal we had in Disney.

Pineapple upside-down cake?!?! Too good to be true! I wonder if that's a regular item or if you just got lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter