Dining Reviews 9/28 - 10/8 - I Started A Blog

Day Five - Pinocchio Village Haus

After breakfast at Crystal Palace we spent the morning in Fantasyland, where we were able to do every ride there, and saw everything in Toontown, in less then three hours. By then it was lunch time, and even though we weren't really hungry, we had a lot of counter-service credits to use up, so we decided to go to Pinocchio's since we were in the area, and I wanted to eat there at some point in the trip anyway.

We decided to split a meal again. We agreed on ordering the turkey and bacon panini.

IMG_5454.jpg

The sandwich was huge, so it was definatly a good thing we only got one. It also came with a bag of chips, which we didn't eat right away, and took back to Pop with us.

The bread was multi-grain, which my mom really liked, since she does not like white bread, (she thinks it's pasty.) (I can eat white or wheat bread, I don't really care.) It was filled with turkey, bacon, roasted red peppers, and tomato. It was very good, and very filling.

I also ordered an order of Figaro fries, which I must get at least once on every trip.

IMG_5453.jpg

These are delicous, and this was the best I've had yet. The fries were fresh out of the fryer, (we had very good luck with getting fries right out of the fryer on this trip,) and were topped with bacon, cheese sauce, lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing. They were also very messy, so you must eat them with a fork.

For our dessert we had a cannoli.

IMG_5452.jpg

It was very good also. The shell was crisp, and the filling was very rich and creamy.

Cost - $13.59 (Used 1 CS Credit)
$3.19 OOP (for the fries)

Just started reading and I'm loving your reviews. I'll be eating at a lot of the places you and your mom tried on your trip so its great to hear most of the positive reviews!
Can't wait for more. Keep it coming.

Thanks for reviews. They're great. :thumbsup2 I love all the pictures of the food. Can't wait to try the figaro fries next week!!

I'm so glad that so many of you are enjoying my reviews. I can't believe how long it's taking me to get them up though. I should get Kona Cafe's review up tomorrow, and possibly some from day six, but I know it's going to be awhile until I finish them all.

I have a couple more I'm really excited to be sharing though, including Party for the Senses, and my first time dining at Flying Fish.

I am so enjoying your reviews!!!! Can't wait for the next installment. I also love Boma's, their soups are to die for. We have never been to Pinocchio Village Haus--Have to have the Figaro Fries as a snack when we go in January. Also have to try those onion rings, they looked wonderful--DH would love them. I always think we have eaten everything possible in the World, but then when I read reports like yours I find more things I'm missing and have to try when we go back.

Thanks for your reports!!

Cyndi

I am so enjoying your reviews!!!! Can't wait for the next installment. I also love Boma's, their soups are to die for. We have never been to Pinocchio Village Haus--Have to have the Figaro Fries as a snack when we go in January. Also have to try those onion rings, they looked wonderful--DH would love them. I always think we have eaten everything possible in the World, but then when I read reports like yours I find more things I'm missing and have to try when we go back.

Thanks for your reports!!

Cyndi
I glad you're enjoying the reviews, I'm enjoying writing them, it's such a nice way to re-live the experience, I just have to make sure I'm not hungry when I write them, LOL.

Aren't the soups at Boma good? When I eat there next year I really want to try and get a reservation there for a Wednesday or Saturday, since that's the menu I haven't tried, and that's the night they're supposed to have ribs, and carrot-ginger soup. I know nothing's guaranteed to be on the buffet, but I realy want to try and go one of those nights to increase my chances of trying those two items inparticular.

The Figaro fries are definatly worth trying, that's my favorite Disney snack. The onion rings are very good too, but I like the fries better.

Day Five - Kona Cafe

I had eaten at Kona Cafe twice before, but those times had both been for lunch, so I was excited to finally try dinner, since I knew the menu was somewhat different.

We arrived at the Polynesian a little early, about quarter of 5:00, for our 5:00 reservation. We checked in right away, and recieved a pager, but we weren't seated until 5:10, even though several parties of the same size had checked-in after us were seated before us. This also happened the last time I was at Kona, where we were seated later, I don't know if they just have some weird seating system, or if it was just a mistake both times, but I do keep track when I have to wait, and it did happen twice here, and both times I had checked-in early, and had the earliest possible reservation time, so I'm not sure why.

Anyway, after we were seated we were greeted by our server Jing, who was very pleasant, and gave very good recommendations. She told us that we could get smoothies as our beverage on the dining plan, and told us the different kinds there were.

Just like at Le Cellier, my mom decided she didn't want one, but I did, and I decided on the orange-passion fruit one, since that seemed to fit into the Polynesian theme.

IMG_5474.jpg

To Be Continued

Day Five - Kona Cafe - Part Two

I realize I didn't get very far in my last post, and I apologize for that, but I thought I'd have all afternoon to write, but then the mail arrived, and my dad announced that I had recieved several packages. I have ordered a lot of things online recently, including Christmas presernts, so I had to go down and get them, and with my dad being the snoop that he is, I decided to wrap them right away.

I also got my 2008 Pass Porter in the mail today, so of course I had to look through that too, since I have a twelve-night trip next year with the deluxe dining plan, and even though my trip isn't until September, it's never too early to start planning, but now, back to my review.

The smoothie was very good, it was lighter then the one I had at Le Cellier, probably because I'm assuming that this one was made with juice and ice cream, while I'm pretty sure the one at Le Cellier was milk and ice cream. Still, it was very good, and refreshing, it had gotten very hot this day.

We were then served pineapple bread with macadamia nut butter.

IMG_5480.jpg

You can't see the butter very well in the picture, sorry. The bread was wonderful, it was a huge loaf, but we ate most of it. Actually, I take that back, I ate most of it. It was very soft, and just slightly sweet, and the butter was great as well. I'd go back to Kona just for the bread.

We once again split appetizers. For my mom's appetizer she got the crab cakes.

IMG_5478.jpg

I'd had these once before, and they were better then I remembered them. They were served with a small green salad, which my mom ate most of, she was always trying to be healthy, and would eat the majority of the greens that came with our meals, while I never worried about it since we were on vacation. Funny thing is, she gained weight, while I lost weight.

The crab cakes were also served with a pineapple relish, (which is on top of the crab cakes,) and Asian tartar sauce, (which is on the plate, but you can't see it in the picture.) We both liked the Asian tartar sauce, and I liked the pineapple relish, but my mom thought that the pineapple relish was an odd accompiament, and didn't really go with the dish.

For our second appetizer I ordered the pot stickers.

IMG_5473.jpg

I had also had these once before. They were good, the same as I'd remembered them. They were filled with a duck meat filling, and like I said in my Le Cellier review, I really like duck. They had a creamy ginger sauce that I also really liked, as well as a cucumber salad that was good. My mom really liked them as well.

For our entrees my mom ordered the shrimp and scallops.

IMG_5485.jpg

It came with two different sauces, a brown one, that was very spicy, and a yellow one that I believe was pineapple, but I'm not really sure what either sauce was. We both really liked the yellow one, but agreed that the brown one was too spicy. Luckily for me I ended up with more of the yellow sauce, since that's what the shrimp was sitting in, (we split this one kind of weirdly, I had two shrimps and a scallop, while my mom had two scallops and a shrimp,) and the scallops were sitting in the brown sauce.

It also came with some rice which was good, and some sort of vegetable, which I think was some kind of squash, but I'm not really sure, but it was very tasty.

To Be Continued, sorry I really can't continue at the moment, I'm really going to try and have this done by the end of the night though.

Day Five - Kona Cafe - Part Three

Okay, let's see if I can get this done.

For our second entree I was going to get the coconut almond chicken, but when we were told about the specials I decided to get the pomegrante pork chop, (which is now on the dinner menu,) at Jing's high recommendation of it.

IMG_5483.jpg

It was excellant! It came with roasted fingerling potatoes and swiss chard. The whole dish was just excellant, and I am so glad I got it, and definatly would order it again. My mom agreed that this was one of the best entrees we had the whole trip.

It was then time for dessert. My mom decided to get the special, a chocolate chip cake version of the kilauea torte.

IMG_5492.jpg

It was very similar to the kilauea torte. In fact, the only difference was that it was a chocolate chip cake instead of a chocolate one. It was good, but I prefer the kilauea torte, which I had the first time I ate at Kona.

For our other dessert I ordered the chocolate macadamia nut tart.

IMG_5489.jpg

It was very good. There were lots of nuts, though it wasn't very chocolaty, not that it needed that much chocolate. It also had some caramel sauce that complemented it very well, as well as some vanilla ice cream, which was covered with coconut, even though my mom said she didn't taste any coconut.

So our dinner at Kona was very good, and I will definatly be returning, probably for dinner, since I enjoy that more then lunch there. Not that their lunch is bad, I just found the food to be better at dinner.

Oh, I'm just salivating over Kona, love that place!! The chocolate-chip Kileau looks interesting, I love the original, I'd like to try that one too. I think you're right about the smoothies - Choc-raspbery at LeCellier is a milkshake I think (and heavenly) and Kona's are actual smoothies - I think I had a raspberry one there. Very delicious, but definitely lighter (not a bad thing)

12 nights on DxDP, I'm jealous, LOL!!!

Dreaming of Kona in 2009...

Ooohhh, we have an ADR for dinner at Kona on our next trip...it will be our first time. I have hear so many good reviews and a lot of suggestions on what is good there...now to figure out what I am going to want??? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what looks good that night!

And I too and jelous of your next trip...not the length because we are staying 12 nights this time but of the DDDP! Believe me I considered it and reviewed and tried to convince myself that it would be great but I just could not do it. Not with just me and the kids...maybe next time...it sounds wonderful!

26 more days!

Ooohhh, we have an ADR for dinner at Kona on our next trip...it will be our first time. I have hear so many good reviews and a lot of suggestions on what is good there...now to figure out what I am going to want??? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what looks good that night!

And I too and jelous of your next trip...not the length because we are staying 12 nights this time but of the DDDP! Believe me I considered it and reviewed and tried to convince myself that it would be great but I just could not do it. Not with just me and the kids...maybe next time...it sounds wonderful!

26 more days!
Well, I wasn't even going to go next year, but when I was there they were offering the bounce-back promo, and I was able to get the deluxe plan for $32 or something like that a night, and that was just too good a deal to pass up.

Well, I wasn't even going to go next year, but when I was there they were offering the bounce-back promo, and I was able to get the deluxe plan for $32 or something like that a night, and that was just too good a deal to pass up.

Oh ya...you'd be crazy to pass that up! We always just seem to miss that promom in the past...in fact, the first time they did that we were there at POR but nothing anywhere reminded us about it and I completely forgot about it...and we did end up going back the next year without it!

BUT< now I am again figuring on the worth of the DDDP...I may just change my mind yet...a lot depends upon what kinds of ADRs are still available 26 days out! My travel agent must think I am the flightiest person ever!

Day Six - Everything Pop

Today we ate breakfast at Everything Pop again. Mom wanted to try the vegetable fritatta, so we got that.

IMG_5556.jpg

It came with breakfast potatoes, which were very good, the fritatta however, was not that good. First of all the piece we got was kind of dried out, and that had come from a "fresh" casserole of it, and had not been pre-plated.

Now, I'm picky when it comes to eggs, but my mom thought it was pretty bad too, so it wasn't just my pickyness. The filling, from what I remember, was spinach and mushrooms, and I really don't like mushrooms, so I picked them out, so I didn't care for it much at all, that you can blame on my pickyness. Not that I'm really a picky eater, it's just mushrooms I really don't like.

This was definatly my least favorite breakfast I'd had so far, and I would not get it again. I do recommend the breakfast potatoes though, but you can get them with many of the different breakfasts, as well as a seperate side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter