• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Rehash, only bc I want to know..... :)

VMK_Mouse

DIS Veteran
What iritates you more about the dining plan changes?

Is it the removal of the appetizer and only charging you $1 less or is it the removal of the included gratuity and charging you only $1 less?

The decision makers must think we do not know how to do math! :laughing:

It's the removal of BOTH appetizer AND gratuity AND charging only $1 less.:mad:

Actually, I don't really care much about the appetizers, but the thought of removing both (worth approx $10) for $1 is just annoying!:mad:

I really will miss the appetizers! :sad1: But, I think the thing that upsets me most is having to worry about taking more money for the tips! I loved having everything paid for and only having to think about having fun/spending money with me!

I don't think this a matter of math......the DDP is still a savings for most people, just not as big of a savings as in the past. The whole thing with tipping is a change I am willing to accept because I want to have the ability to tip the server based on the service quality I receive. I have had some service while in WDW that did not deserve 15-20%, but they received it anyway. I think the change in tipping will benefit the customer by increasing the service quality given by the server.

:thumbsup2

I don't think this a matter of math......the DDP is still a savings for most people, just not as big of a savings as in the past. The whole thing with tipping is a change I am willing to accept because I want to have the ability to tip the server based on the service quality I receive. I have had some service while in WDW that did not deserve 15-20%, but they received it anyway. I think the change in tipping will benefit the customer by increasing the service quality given by the server.

I wish I could feel the same way, but since we're a party of 6, even though the gratuity is out of pocket..we are forced to pay 18% regardless of how the service is :rolleyes: Oh well.

I wish I could feel the same way, but since we're a party of 6, even though the gratuity is out of pocket..we are forced to pay 18% regardless of how the service is :rolleyes: Oh well.

On our next trip we too will be a party of six, but I think the change will be better for the overall good of my fellow WDW diners! I am willing to get stuck with the 18% if my fellow diners have the ability to tip based on the quality of the service they receive!!

I agree that being forced to pay 18% will not insure good quality service any more than the previous program where the tip was built in. The math only works for me if we do the more costly meals. But I can't make the deluxe plan work under any circumstances. Am I missing something?

I do not like that I have to pay for the tip. I liked that everything was covered. I don't think I will miss the appetizer but I do wish they wiould allow us a choice of an appetizer OR dessert. I don't eat desserts I am diabetic.

I agree that being forced to pay 18% will not insure good quality service any more than the previous program where the tip was built in. The math only works for me if we do the more costly meals. But I can't make the deluxe plan work under any circumstances. Am I missing something?

We are planning on the Deluxe plan this fall. Our family does not eat counter service on a regular basis so we will benefit from the deluxe plan. Our plan is a signature restaurant and a regular table service every day which fits into the way our family would dine without the plan......the old plan locked us into counter service which we did not care too much for anyway. The DDP and the DxDDP have to be evaluated by each family to see if it will work in their situation, and if it does then great, if not then at least you figure it out before you spend the money.

The tip is what kills it for me.

DS11 doesn't even eat an entire kid's meal, so paying $70 for DxDDP for him AND having to pay the tip OOP on adult portions he won't finish is just silly.

With today's announcement of being able to add DDP to an AP ressie I have REALLY been looking at it, but it would cost so much for those extra tips that we'll just use the DDE. Adding 20% gratuity on top of $70 per person per day just really inflates the cost - I am pretty sure we can eat on $210 and buy as much (or more) food than we would get on DxDDP. The days we have a buffet breakfast and a signature dinner are the only days the plan would come close to saving us money.

I am fine w/paying the tip OOP, but agree with the PP in that we should be allowed the choice between appies and dessert.

We just returned from 6 days at WDW, and our service could not have been better everywhere we went for TS. We tip well for good service and I like having the control to decide for myself what kind of tip the server deserves. I had read on the boards that servers were having to explain the new DDP tipping policy to diners. We did not have that happen, but I did notice a card included w/the bill regarding the new policy. (Now how many people actually read it I can't say.)

I do have to say that deducting two items out of the plan and reducing the cost by $1 is out of line IMHO.

To think that we are not wise enough to see a $1.00 reduction =$10 additional per person irritates me, the killing of an all inclusive also makes me dislike it. If I have to bring $$ or a card to tip with it isn't worth being locked into . The DDP is too little for the $$ (we like apps not desserts) and the DXDDP is too much food for a 12 day trip--there are not enough signature places to stretch that far, nor do I want to tip an additional $1000 above the cost of the plan.

An aside, and maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but before the DDP had to be tied in with a package or DVC reservation. Now opening it up to AP holders shows it is not a discount at all. I'm certain with the removal of the tip and app. Disney is easily making $$ on it--if they were not they wouldn't let you book a room only with no tickets tied to the reservation. FWIW I think opening it up to AP holders shows that they are not on target for sales for the year so they needed to find a wider audience.

I really will miss the appetizers! :sad1: But, I think the thing that upsets me most is having to worry about taking more money for the tips! I loved having everything paid for and only having to think about having fun/spending money with me!

Yep - this is it! I can afford, caloriewise, to skip the appie. Wish it was a choice b/w appie and dessert. I greatly prefer the appetizer over a dessert.

The gratuity is the real loss. What a pain to charge/take cash to cover tips.

Yeah, that is not right. I can see how that would chap your buns. That is pretty much an industry standard. :upsidedow

An aside, and maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but before the DDP had to be tied in with a package or DVC reservation. Now opening it up to AP holders shows it is not a discount at all. I'm certain with the removal of the tip and app. Disney is easily making $$ on it--if they were not they wouldn't let you book a room only with no tickets tied to the reservation. FWIW I think opening it up to AP holders shows that they are not on target for sales for the year so they needed to find a wider audience.

Pretty shocking really, since so many were speculating they made these changes to get less people to buy the plan and ease off on the restaurant division. Just how unpopular IS the new plan for them to do this?

I'm certain with the removal of the tip and app. Disney is easily making $$ on it--

They are a corporation with obligations to their shareholders.......of course the goal is to make money on it. :confused3 The thing is, many people will still save a small percentage on their food budget with the DDP, but it will not be the same huge savings from years past.

Yeah, that is not right. I can see how that would chap your buns. That is pretty much an industry standard. :upsidedow

18% is not the "industry standard". Servers would like for everyone to believe this, but it is not true. Tipping is relative to the quality of the service rendered, and most accept the "standard" to be between 15-20% based on the server's performance.

As for the number of people needed beforg adding automatic gratuity, it is usually 8 at most restaurants (not WDW restaurants). Tips are then added to your bill in varying percentages determined by each restaurant. If you are in a large group then you must contact a manager if your service does not meet the tip added automatically.

They are a corporation with obligations to their shareholders.......of course the goal is to make money on it. :confused3 The thing is, many people will still save a small percentage on their food budget with the DDP, but it will not be the same huge savings from years past.

What I meant is that this is not "the discount". If it were it could not be added to AP rooms. Therefore they are making $$ on the plan itself the way it has been restructured, thus allowing it to be added to virtually any WDW stay.

What I meant is that this is not "the discount". If it were it could not be added to AP rooms. Therefore they are making $$ on the plan itself the way it has been restructured, thus allowing it to be added to virtually any WDW stay.

Got it now!! Thanks for clarifying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter