Dining plans price has increased for 2013

Previously, we've done the DxDP but on our next trip, our oldest will have just turned 10 and our youngest (who barely picks at her food) will be 4. On that trip (which spans 12 nights and 13 days), I'm planning 15 table service meals at order off-the-menu places and 10 meals at fixed priced places (e.g., character breakfasts, 'Ohana, Boma, Biergarten, etc.).

At the order off-the-menu places, we plan to order a kid's meal for the 10 YO and share our food with the 4 YO. At the fixed priced places, we'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the adult price for the 10 YO and the child's price for the 4 YO who hardly eats anything.

Even with 10 fixed price meals, I ran the numbers and determined that OOP with TIW will be roughly $1000 less expensive than the DxDP (and this assumes that my wife and I will each order an appetizer, entree, and dessert at each order off-the-menu restaurant, as if we were on the DxDP - if we end up ordering less food, the savings will be even greater).

I'd planned to have breakfast at Tusker House, so that's what we'll have to do. My ten-year-old has adult tastes, but not an adult-sized stomach.

I can only assume by raising the price of the dining plan, Disney hopes to bill it as a greater savings when it's offered for free?

I can only assume by raising the price of the dining plan, Disney hopes to bill it as a greater savings when it's offered for free?
That's one of my guesses too... along with the aforementioned milking extra money out from a (from what I've read) record year.

At least the shareholders and accountants may be happy.

I'd like to know where they're getting their "seasonal" information from. My testing was not reflecting the lower prices for normal season and only the higher prices for both seasons.

I guess now all the restaurant prices will increase as well, to make the DP more attractive to those planning on paying OOP (Me) in November :)

I know the prices at BOG and the Wave have gone up since I booked my trip in March and estimated the cost of paying OOP :sad1:

Question: I have a rented DVC reservation starting 12/31. The information I read a month or two ago said that DVC members paid the regular (non-peak) pricing for the DDP no matter the time of year. Is there a way to know if the DVC price has increased also? I was waiting until closer to our trip to decide if we wanted the DDP and knowing the price will be an important part of the puzzle!

Thanks!

Question: I have a rented DVC reservation starting 12/31. The information I read a month or two ago said that DVC members paid the regular (non-peak) pricing for the DDP no matter the time of year. Is there a way to know if the DVC price has increased also? I was waiting until closer to our trip to decide if we wanted the DDP and knowing the price will be an important part of the puzzle!

Thanks!

The new prices in this thread are the new REGULAR prices which would apply to DVC too. It appears there is not a peak pricing for what are normally peak times for the rest of the year. So you probably need to use the new prices in your decision.

Yes, all 3 dining plans have increased according to the site.

• QSDP New Price (Old Price/Seasonal) | Change: Amount changed
    • Adult: $39.64 ($37.58) | Change: +$2.06 (5.48%)
    • Child:$15.75 ($14.32) | Change: +$1.43 (9.98%)
  • DDP
    • Adult: $58.66 ($55.59/$56.94) | Change: +$3.07 (5.52%)/+$1.72 (3.02%)
    • Child: $18.88 ($17.16/$18.16) | Change: +$1.72 (10.02%)/+$0.72 (3.96%)
  • DxDDP
    • Adult: $104.94 ($99.97/$102.27) | Change: +$4.97 (4.97%) /+$2.67 (2.61%)
    • Child: $29.51 ($26.84/$28.91) | Change:+$2.67 (9.95%)/+$0.60 (2.08%)
  • Premium*
    • Adult: $189.00 ($189.00) | Change: $0
    • Child: $139.00 ($139.00) | Change: $0
  • Platinum*
    • Adult: $249.00 ($249.00) | Change: $0
    • Child: $179.01 ($179.00) | Change:+$0.01 (Most likely a difference in rounding)
*Premium and Platinum aren't really dining plans, but rather vacation packages and have their own requirements. They are included here for comparison and completion sake.

Looks like, with these numbers, it's about a 5% increase on base adult dining plans, and a 10% increase on the child.

I'd also expect those seasonal ones to change once the 2014 packages are released...

It may also be worthwhile to revisit the buffet/AYCE pricing list. With this stealth increase in here, I'm wondering if any of the restaurants are also raising their prices by roughly the same amount.

Edit: Per Credit Cost Math (Warning: Math!) (NSFPWDLM - Not Safe For People Who Don't Like Math)
This is figured using calculations that Faldred (who I haven't seen in ages around here) developed a couple years back. They seem to work nicely. Note that they are far from exact, but they'll give you a rough estimate of what to shoot for on a per-credit basis on order to break even.

You'll find the "Show your work" section below, but the results come out to:
QS: $18.07 / $6.13
TS (DDP): $37.09 / $9.25
Dx (DxDDP): $32.65 / $7.51

Given the following:
S (Snack) = 3.50 (note: we had previously been using 3.00 for snack)
QSDP = 2QS + 1S = 39.64
DDP = 1TS + 1QS + 1S = 58.66
DxDDP = 3Dx + 2S = 104.94

Finding Dx cost

Solve DxDDP for Dx
3Dx + 2S = 104.94
3Dx = 104.94 - 2S
3Dx = 104.94 - 2(3.50)
3Dx = 104.94 - 7
3Dx = 97.94
Dx = 97.94 / 3
Dx = 32.65

Finding QS cost, using value to find TS cost

Solve QSDP for QS
2QS + 1S = 39.64
2QS = 39.64 - 1S
2QS = 39.64 - 1(3.50)
2QS = 39.64 - 3.50
2QS = 36.14
QS = 36.14 / 2
QS = 18.07

1TS + 1QS + 1S = 58.66
1TS = 58.66 - 1QS - 1S
1TS = 58.66 - 18.07 - 3.5
1TS = 37.09

The same method is used to find kids costs, but I'm not showing my work here for those. Sorry.
(Mugs are excluded due to the difficulty in assigning daily value since it is a single cost over the length of the trip. As such, a 1 night trip's credit cost would be vastly different from a 14 night. Instead, we'll just say they're "free")

Very helpful post, and I followed the math all the way through :-)

I am just in shock at the price increase since 2012. It's obscene. We went in October 2012 (not even a year ago!) and for the DxDP we paid $85.52 for each adult (per night), and $23.79 for each child per night. That means that for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, the DxDP cost was about $219/ night. That same plan, if someone is looking to book it now for this October 2013, merely one year later, would cost $269 / night. We saved aprpoximately $60 / day on the DxDP. So, if it's now $50 more, I certainly would not get the DxDP to save $10 / day. It's too much of an upfront cost. What if you are sick and have to cancel your ADRs? Before, the cushion was much greater, and even if you had to miss some ADRs, you would come out ahead on the DxDP.

And at $37 for a DDP TS credit you would really have to shoot for a fixed price meal in order to get ahead.

I know that there is always a lot of debate on these boards from those who are fans of the DDP, and I can tell you that I had advocated for the DxDP in the past, but it's been such a steep increase in the last year that I think it really makes more sense to do this OOP.

I guess now all the restaurant prices will increase as well, to make the DP more attractive to those planning on paying OOP (Me) in November :)

I know the prices at BOG and the Wave have gone up since I booked my trip in March and estimated the cost of paying OOP :sad1:
That's a possibility. If I was real ambitious, I'd call them up to see if the Buffet/AYCE pricing still matched Rusty's thread. Unfortunately, I'm not that ambitious :p.

The marketing content has remained the same though, with regards to percentages (QSDP 10%, DDP 15%, DxDDP 20%), so either they didn't bother updating because they figure no one will check, or prices are likely to rise by the same amount (which is more than usual).

Very helpful post, and I followed the math all the way through :-)

I am just in shock at the price increase since 2012. It's obscene. We went in October 2012 (not even a year ago!) and for the DxDP we paid $85.52 for each adult (per night), and $23.79 for each child per night. That means that for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, the DxDP cost was about $219/ night. That same plan, if someone is looking to book it now for this October 2013, merely one year later, would cost $269 / night. We saved aprpoximately $60 / day on the DxDP. So, if it's now $50 more, I certainly would not get the DxDP to save $10 / day. It's too much of an upfront cost. What if you are sick and have to cancel your ADRs? Before, the cushion was much greater, and even if you had to miss some ADRs, you would come out ahead on the DxDP.

And at $37 for a DDP TS credit you would really have to shoot for a fixed price meal in order to get ahead.

I know that there is always a lot of debate on these boards from those who are fans of the DDP, and I can tell you that I had advocated for the DxDP in the past, but it's been such a steep increase in the last year that I think it really makes more sense to do this OOP.
The 2013 prices basically boxed me out of DxDDP, which I was a fan of for a few years, and DDP had already been boxed out. While I'm looking to go with Free Dining this year (due to circumstances where Mom is only there for 4 nights, and I get to burn her credits :p), it's likely to be OOP and skimping for future trips. Also, with less TS dining, it means I can get everything done in a shorter amount of time, so probably 6-7 night trips in place of my 9-10 night ones. And... I think the train derailed a bit there.

At any rate, my mantra of "Do the Math" is becoming more and more important. Before it was just a "If you do it this way, you should be ok" and now it's "Even if you do it this way, make sure to check as there's a good chance you'll come out behind".

Corporations are GREEDY,and Disney is no exception.:sad2:The next market crash will make the last one look like a walk in the park!:scared1: Off property for us.

In 2011 we got free dining, and upgraded to DxDDP.

We paid $31 per person per night for the upgrade. By upgrading to the DxDDP, I estimated we would save $704 (I didn't keep track while we were there, so I don't know the actual result). That was for 4 "adults" for 8 nights.

Now, if someone were to upgrade to DxDDP from free dining, the cost would be $46.28 per person, per night. That's an increase of $15.28.

Times 4 "adults" times 8 nights, and that is: $489.

We still would saved by going DxDDP over free dining (assuming same TS meals and same menu choices and all appetizers and desserts are purchased)

But, the savings would be $215. However, if we did not upgrade to DxDDP, we would have had less TS meals, and not ordered apps. So, I don't think the $215 savings would be enough to entice us to splurge for the extra TS meals and apps.

But, with a savings of $704, we did splurge for the extra TS meals and apps.

I've used the DDP since 2006 and I haven't rented a car since 2002. It wasn't worth it to me. Disney is seriously pricing me out of DDP. I'm going to have to start running numbers on renting a car and going off property for meals. :(

I'm already booked and paid in full for my trip the end of Nov beginning of Dec with the DxDDP; But I do believe that after this trip my future trips will not include any dining plans with WDW. Sorry, at some point I have to say enough is enough and that point has now arrived. I will just pay oop and not make dining a major focus of my trips like I have in the past. :sad2:

We are going in Sept and paying for DDP we chose the RO discount as it saved us considerably more.

I looked up all the menus did the math on all if our ADRs and even the CS places and snack we will eat on DDP and still save $203 so DDP is a good deal for us this trip.

Next yr ill have to do the math again to see if it is..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

This is my thought as well! We paid OOP in April and really noticed more than any other OOP trip how pricey the meals were. Even the kids CS prices seemed really high to me.

That's a possibility. If I was real ambitious, I'd call them up to see if the Buffet/AYCE pricing still matched Rusty's thread. Unfortunately, I'm not that ambitious :p.

The marketing content has remained the same though, with regards to percentages (QSDP 10%, DDP 15%, DxDDP 20%), so either they didn't bother updating because they figure no one will check, or prices are likely to rise by the same amount (which is more than usual).

The 2013 prices basically boxed me out of DxDDP, which I was a fan of for a few years, and DDP had already been boxed out. While I'm looking to go with Free Dining this year (due to circumstances where Mom is only there for 4 nights, and I get to burn her credits :p), it's likely to be OOP and skimping for future trips. Also, with less TS dining, it means I can get everything done in a shorter amount of time, so probably 6-7 night trips in place of my 9-10 night ones. And... I think the train derailed a bit there.

At any rate, my mantra of "Do the Math" is becoming more and more important. Before it was just a "If you do it this way, you should be ok" and now it's "Even if you do it this way, make sure to check as there's a good chance you'll come out behind".

We decided when we booked our November trip to go with paying OOP this time after using the DxDP in March & Nov 2012. March we just broke even and in Nov. I did not bother even checking I know we lost $ but @$85.52 a day we liked the plan for the convienence.

The new prices is just crazy at over $100 pp a day. The DxDP is too much food for us and the DDP is not enough. We usually do a TS Breakfast and Dinner with a CS meal or snack mid
-day.

We are not "signature or character" meal people so Disney just sent us back to OOP which is what we always did in the past.

This is my thought as well! We paid OOP in April and really noticed more than any other OOP trip how pricey the meals were. Even the kids CS prices seemed really high to me.

I am going to have to keep an eye on the priceing and adjust my budget accordingly. Planing on buying GC to pay for meals and tips and I do think it will work out better than the DP.

the all inclusive plans (gold key) and did the DDP once...when you got an app instead of desert and it included gratuity, but when it changed to no app and a desert included we stopped and bought the TIW which allows us to eat how we want. There are days we do a big breakfast and have a CS mid day and there are days we do 1 TS a day and a snack then there are days that we CS twice.

I like the freedom the TIW gives us. If we just want to sit in the lounge and have an app and a few drinks....it's perfect!

I hate to be so cynical, but I'd suspect part of the increase in pricing is intended to reinforce the idea that someone's getting a great deal when they're on the DDP. I know I was always shocked at the total, but since it was already paid for, it didn't bother me.

This next trip, I'm buying several Disney parks gift cards at our local BJs. A $100 card is $95.99, so I'm saving some and getting the points on my Visa. I'll use those to pay for dining when we're at Disney. That way I have the convenience of meals being pre-paid, but I'm not getting more food than I want.

I hate to be so cynical, but I'd suspect part of the increase in pricing is intended to reinforce the idea that someone's getting a great deal when they're on the DDP. I know I was always shocked at the total, but since it was already paid for, it didn't bother me.

This next trip, I'm buying several Disney parks gift cards at our local BJs. A $100 card is $95.99, so I'm saving some and getting the points on my Visa. I'll use those to pay for dining when we're at Disney. That way I have the convenience of meals being pre-paid, but I'm not getting more food than I want.

We are leaning towards doing the same thing but buying at SAMs and Target. My husband said the regular DDP was not enough food for him, but it was enough for me and the kids to split. I am trying to push him towards OOP for our January trip and just buy the gift cards in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter