Dining Plans for the Kiddos

artnsonia

We love Tink!
Okay, I'm really confused. :confused3 We went to WDW this past summer and got the disney dining plan for all four of us (Me,DH,DS5,DD3). We really liked it except for one thing and we ran into this same problem everywhere we went. For instance, we decided to eat at a pizza place at Animal Kingdom (Pizzafari I think). The kids were dying for pizza but when we went to order they said that the kids had to order from the kids menu. On the kids menu was NO pizza, only peanut butter sandwiches or cold grilled chicken. WHAT?!?!?! Why would they not serve pizza on the kids menu at a pizza place? We ran into this at a lot of places. At a burger place same thing, peanut butter or cold chicken. Why would they do this to a kid? Why wouldn't they offer the main thing they sold there on the kids menu? Who would I talk to at Disney about this? Some places were lenient but it was really hit or miss.

artnsonia said:
Okay, I'm really confused. :confused3 We went to WDW this past summer and got the disney dining plan for all four of us (Me,DH,DS5,DD3). We really liked it except for one thing and we ran into this same problem everywhere we went. For instance, we decided to eat at a pizza place at Animal Kingdom (Pizzafari I think). The kids were dying for pizza but when we went to order they said that the kids had to order from the kids menu. On the kids menu was NO pizza, only peanut butter sandwiches or cold grilled chicken. WHAT?!?!?! Why would they not serve pizza on the kids menu at a pizza place? We ran into this at a lot of places. At a burger place same thing, peanut butter or cold chicken. Why would they do this to a kid? Why wouldn't they offer the main thing they sold there on the kids menu? Who would I talk to at Disney about this? Some places were lenient but it was really hit or miss.

I thought that if you go up to the counter without the kids, you could order 4 adult CS meals (without the kids having to order from the childrens menu). As far as I know, there's no difference between adult and child credits - they're pooled, so just have someone sit with the kids and 1 adult go up to order. Now if the kids are there at the counter, I think they will make them order from the childrens menu (it's stated in the dining plan brochure that they must order from it if available - from both the TS and CS places).

Anyone else know if this is still possible?

If I remember right, when they would swipe our card it would tell them 2 adults and 2 children. But I wil definitely try your idea in March. Thanks for the help.

I know that several people have had each adult go and order 2 adult meals - ie Mom and kids wait at table while dad orders 2 meals (no problem since card says 2adult). Then mom goes and orders 2 meals while dad and kids stay at table.

honeymo78 said:
I know that several people have had each adult go and order 2 adult meals - ie Mom and kids wait at table while dad orders 2 meals (no problem since card says 2adult). Then mom goes and orders 2 meals while dad and kids stay at table.

According to the Disney Dining Plan documents, all children ages 3-9 must order from the children's menu, where available. I just wanted to point out that having a kid sit down at the table while an adult orders an adult CS meal for him/her, when there is a children's menu, is cheating the system. Disney is only charging $10.00/day for kids 3-9.

pedro2112 said:
According to the Disney Dining Plan documents, all children ages 3-9 must order from the children's menu, where available. I just wanted to point out that having a kid sit down at the table while an adult orders an adult CS meal for him/her, when there is a children's menu, is cheating the system. Disney is only charging $10.00/day for kids 3-9.
Really???? Is that what that means?? Thanks for pointing that out, bud!!! :crazy:

pedro2112 said:

I guess I agree with you that it is cheating the system, but I have to admit we ordered off the adult menu for DS a couple of times on our last trip. I didn't do it to try to "get the most out of the plan", I was just trying to get DS something he would eat. I was shocked at some of the items that wasn't on kids menus. Just a few examples; no hamburgers at Pinocchio's (this was before menu change) and Electric Umbrella, no pizza at Pizzafari. Actually, I don't recall seeing a hamburger on any kid's menu. I guess some places have them but nowhere we ate did.

This has been discussed on this board before, but I really think Disney should improve the kids menu. I don't expect a 1/4 or 1/3 pound burger on the kids menu, but a 1/10 like McDonalds has would be good. I know that would have been enough for most kids, a happy meal size burger.

Back the the OP, I believe I read on these boards that the pizza places quit carrying pizza on the kids menu because so many adults would order a pizza off the kids menu so it would be cheaper. (Geez what a long run on sentence.) Not sure if that is true or not. I guess personal pizzas come in one size, no way to make a smaller kids size for less money. Sorry for such a long rambling post, it is very late.

Thanks guys for all your help. I will definitely try this on our next trip in March.

honeymo78 said:

People must think they are cheating the system to go to this extreme

02bBarbie said:

You know, if I had a child who wanted a pizza and he/she didn't want what was on the children's menu (at a pizza place), I'd probably go up and try this too. We're talking about a difference of $5.89 for an adult pizza vs. $3.99 for a child's cheese quesadilla or peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

IMHO, credits are credits and if a child wants a pizza instead of a cheese quesadilla or peanut butter & jelly sandwich - let them eat pizza instead of saying they're cheating the system. We're talking $1.90 difference in the pizza cost vs. child meal. Considering an adult can order an entree costing between $4-10 at a CS restaurant, I really don't believe the $1.90 is a big deal. As long as Disney allows the credits to be pooled, I'd try it.

02bBarbie said:
I read a tip that said there was a back exit out of the MK that you could use after Wishes. Has anyone heard of this?? I was thinking about using it but I am terrified that I will be accused of "cheating the system." I KNOW Disney's intention is to have everyone go out through the main gate. What do you all think? Do you think the fact that they opened the door means they are saying it is OK to go out that way? Because if it was not OK, they would close the door, right? I know this is a huge moral dilemma on these boards and I wouldn't want someone who is much more holy start casting stones at me. Help, please. :confused3

If it were me, I would have ordered the pizza off the adult menu for me and then the cold chicken or whatever from the kids menu for the kid and then just switched. That way, the kid gets the pizza and we don't "cheat" Disney.

But we haven't ever had the meal plan. Although, we often share meals and I will just order whatever the kids want and share that.

Magge

Huskies90 - You are way too funny. I can't stop laughing! :rotfl: But really I think you should shut the door and climb over the top. Hee Hee!

WDWBetsy - I totally agree with you. It's not that much money difference.

I will also contact Disney and talk to them about my problem. They should at least serve something on the kids menu that is in line with the main food they are serving. And I'm not going to eat yucky cold chicken off the kids menu while my kids get to eat my yummy pizza off the adult menu. I am spending millions of dollars on this dining plan and I think we should all be able to eat yummy pizza instead of cold chicken, beans & weiners, or pb&j.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter