• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Plan Not Worth the Money!

When the dining plan is free, doesn't that mean your hotel room isn't discounted as much?

Correct.

Example,

We had 7 days 6 night's at POR with a 30% discount on the room with no ddiscount for the ddxdp for 5 of us , only two of the three girls qualify as children. Total price just over 4,200.

I switched to the free dining offer and upgraded to the ddxdp and lost the 30% room discount but saved an additional $800 from the FD promotion.

One thing to consider is the tax savings of the package deals. For us we really like the ddxdp .

I would also rather have an appetizer than a dessert, or at least the choice.

Oh yes! I think it would be great to be able to pick either and appetizer or a dessert. That would be great.

We are the "convenience" people. We like to have everything (except tips LOL) paid for when we hit the grounds. We feel free to go have fun and not worry about money as much as we would if we were paying OOP for everything. We head to the World tomorrow and I think I will keep track of costs & tips and see if we save or spend more with the DDP. It should be interesting since our 10 yr old will be an "adult" (rediculous!) for the first time and I'm betting he won't eat his share of the DDP. :rolleyes2

For us the Free Dining is way way better than a resort discount - and if I didn't get it free I would still buy it. I have a meat loving husband, two teenagers that eat like truck drivers (both skinny girls!! - no idea where they put it!) who are supreme steak lovers, and I booked almost all character dinners since I HATE standing in line for characters and we have wee baby now which would add to my standing in line for characters hatred I have going on already. Between what we would spend on food, special meals, food, snacks, more food.... more food (SIGH) and steak (and ribs is the second favorite around here) - we are going on vacation and I like the feeling that they can eat what they want each day. I priced it out for the meals I wanted and what we would spend on snacks and mugs, etc and if I purchased the plan instead of getting my pin code.. I would still save over $100 per day! I do the moderate with free dining though, last time I paid for the upgrade at a value and this time pricing it out... well the different of $160 when I am investing so much was worth it :thumbsup2

Now if my airfare would finally drop lower than my whole Disney package I would be a happy girl - 10 days at a moderate with 8 days of park tickets and my airfare is STILL higher per person than the cost of the vacation itself!! :crazy2:

We're getting it free, so it is totally worth it. We're staying AoA, so a 15% discount on 2 LM rooms over 10 nights is roughly a $320 savings. I can't feed dh, myself and 7 kids on $320 for 10 days at WDW. It's kind of a no-brainer for us.

I'm a firm believer in the dining plan is worth the money, especially for my family bacause we sit down for dinner every night and do a quick serve for lunch. We also use our snacks for breakfast because a side order of eggs is a snack and it has to be 3-4 eggs.

So for 50.00 a day for my wife and I and 11.00 for my toddler that eats more than me its a no brainer, especially when sitting down for a good dinner is 35.00 for the entree alone.

I got it for free, and kept track of everything we consumed our entire trip. We even paid OOP for a few meals as the plan wasn't enough food. In the end, DDP was not a bargain and we could have dined for less on our own as compared to what Disney charges. We never order desserts when we go out and rarely order an appetizer either. But with the DDP Disney expects you to tip 18% according to your total bill, so it is to their advantage. In all the plan was about $5-8 more than we would have spent OOP so they still came out ahead, but for that $8 profit for them, I did get a peace of mind that everything was pre-paid and we did end up trying dishes and desserts we never would have otherwise, so for that it ended up being worth it overall. Would I actually pay for this plan? Probably not, but only because I have been to WDW 4 times and have a little experience now in the whole dining thing and can do better on my own, but as a newbie it was worth it. If you want convenience and to pre pay then it's great but yeah it does cost a little more. You can't beat free dining though if it's offered unless they are also offering a 30-40% room discount then take the room discount!!!

As far as the savings there are only 2 of us and we sometimes share a meal so the plan wasn't bargain for us and the room discount is a better deal. This is just what works for us, but it does depend on your touring style, your dining preferences, whether or not you are a big eater or a grazer, how many in your party, ages of your group, etc. many many factors come into play as to whether this plan if for you or not. We have no small children or teens, and are foodies and more in to the whole dining experience and not park commandos, so sit downs and long drawn out meals are fine.

I was priced out of the dining plan as of 2008, if it's not a major deal resulting in significant savings it just does not interest me.

Free dining packages don't work for me either. (for those who asked, if you get a free dining package it means your room is not discounted at all and you are required to buy at least 2 day tickets for all party members age 3 and over. The only discount you get is a dining plan thrown in at no extra cost. For some, it's a great deal, for others it isn't.)

As an AP holder, who usually stays in a moderate several times a year and usually has at least 2-3 of those trips during the free dining periods, free dining doesn't work for me either. You can only use one of those two day tickets each time you need a new AP. Plus you lose any room discounts.

I was always a big proponent of paying for the DDP, while using an AP discount for the room. However, as of 2011, I was finally priced out of the DDP. I refuse to skimp on vacation and always order exactly what I'm in the mood for. However, to break even on the DDP you pretty much have to order the most expensive items on the menu and also must eat dessert at every meal. Also I am not a big fan of most CS restaraunts and usually eat an early TS lunch then a later TS dinner, so the basic DDP just doesn't work for me, but the DxDDP is too much. The TiW card works better for me, even though most of my trips are solo trips. I can order what I want (whether it be a three course meal, two appetizers, or an appetizer and entree) and still save 20% on the meals. The main draw of the DDP was having everything prepaid, but since the tip and appetizer is no longer included, I just get Disney gift cards before each trip to use for my meals and everything is still prepaid (including tips and any appetizers I may want).

I think it is worth it if you are planning a lot of character meals ( and you have a DH who doesn't like waiting in line for characters). I priced out a character meal a day for our family of 4, just those meals would be more than the dining plan.

This coming trip, DH is not able to come, so it is just us girls. I am not getting the dining plan. Without DH, we can stand in line to meet the characters and eat on our own. It will be a different kind of trip, but I don't think the three of us will eat more than $500 worth of food. I could be wrong and come back kicking myself for not doing the plan.

Can you use dining credits to purchase snacks from the shops? If so, then that would be a good way to spend some of the leftover credits on the last day of your trip.

We get the counter service dining plan when we go, and I wouldn't do it any other way. Not only is it convenient but you get A LOT of food. Stuff that you normally wouldn't pay for if you didn't have the DP. I found us with tons of treats to take home, or just to have late at night in our rooms.
I do agree though, that any other dining plan wouldn't be worth it to me. They are more expensive and require reservations....which in my opinion is just inconvenient and a waste of time!

Since everything on our is being paid strictly in cash, we are going for the dining plan.

First, I will have 3 men in the party and they like to eat. And they like to eat well. They like to order apps and desserts.

Second, I want everyone to be able to order what they like without being concerned about cost. There will be no opportunity to say, "Why not? We'll just pay for that on the credit card and catch up when we get home." Yes, you can look at menus online, but menus and prices are subject to change at any time.

Third, I have a child going who will at one meal only eat a single bite out of a sandwich and the next meal want 6 hot dogs.

Fourth, for our family, enjoying meals at WDW is a part of our trip and not just something we do to refuel.

And finally, I think character meals are a great way to meet our favorites without standing in line for some of the "big names." Merida will still require a line, I'm guessing.

Echoing "ktmo," above, when I ran numbers I concluded that character meals tend to make the DDP worthwhile from a savings standpoint. (Compare the cost of a kid's character meal -- especially dinner -- with the cost of a kid's plan for the day; that's where the bulk of the plan's savings occurs.) Without character meals we would not do it.

When the dining plan is free, doesn't that mean your hotel room isn't discounted as much?

Yep...however I have yet to see a room discount that can compare to the free dining discount for our family. It saves us over $200 a night. The most I could save at a mod wouldn't even be 1/2 that.
I do not believe the dining plan is worth paying for, for our family. That's why we only get it if it's free. Now back when it included appetizers and tip, we paid for it and it was worth it.

My family is taking our first trip in 3 weeks and we got the DDP, for convenience mostly. I scheduled 5 character meals for my kids to enjoy. I am a big spreadsheet nerd (I think someone before me mentioned a spreadsheet too) so I priced everything out - the OOP costs for my family of 5 to eat at those same TS places and included the average price of a QS meal, or the actual price if I know where I want to eat, plus snacks and drinks. It's going to save me quite a bit NOW...but when my twins turn 3 in October and I have to pay for 5 DDPs to feed 5 going forward, instead of 3 DDPs to feed 5, it will not be worth it for my family.

I don't think it will be worth the money when we go back. We hope to go before our child turns 3 so that will make her free for the parks and we wont eat enough to justify the dining plan. Plus we prefer quick service anyway to get back to the fun!

We just got back from 7 days & , since DD turned 10, opted NOT to do the DDP(nor QSDP) for the first time in many trips (usually go 2x/yr). I was AMAZED how well it worked out for us. Our "splurge" was lunch at LeCellier ($107 w/tip 2 steaks/2 kids meals (yes they let her get kids steak). We ate things like Giradelli (never get on DDP) & the BROWNIE ICE CREAM sandwich at EoS(DVC disc). We did eat most b'fast in room &, while I have not done the math, I know it was MUCH less b/c what I usually do is pay DDP w/Disney rewards visa....I just used room key for all FOOD then payed off w/rewards visa before checkout. I DID miss the character meal & did miss doing Cape May for dinner but just couldn't justify paying $40 for DD10 to eat some shrimp & Oreo bonbons.

I was "introduced" to the "original" dining plan (there was only 1) back in 2004 I think (not sure) when they released the first "free dining" packages (at least that I remember..a lot of buzz on the boards back then).

Going from memory only, I believe the cost was around $30 for adults & $12 for kids. This plan included appetizer, dessert & tip. I got it free for our stay @ POP and it was FANTASTIC!!! Now..that being said, of course it was free and back then we could get reservations at pretty much every place we wanted (including CRT on Halloween night). We did a LOT of character meals and fine dining (Le Cellier was only 1 credit). At that time we were 2 adults & 2 kids.

We continued to get Free dining for the next 3-4 years or so and it was a great deal. During that time they took the tip away which diminished the value quite a bit in my mind.

I haven't done the DP in several years now and reading the boards am hearing that it is now $50 for adults and you only get dessert not an appetizer??? OK, that just seems ridiculously high to me for what the program offers.

However, if you are a family of adults & kids that love character meals and would do the more expensive meals anyway, I can see the DP being a good deal. I don't even want to know what the DDP costs :scared1:

I do love dining at WDW restaurants, but we've been to all of them..literally every single one so the draw of doing them again isn't as high a priority to us as a family as it once was. The time it takes to do the dining is another thing that people need to take into consideration. For us, we like to do other things and we cook in our villa.

The cost for my family of 3 adults (2 teenagers) would be roughly $150 per day (if I'm calculating correctly) for 12 days that would be $1800! My grocery budget for that same time frame (including ingredients for home cooked meals, frozen "on the go" foods, veggies, fruit, chips, snacks, bottled waters, etc) is $300. My budget for the 3 Disney TS meals we enjoy is $225. Our "snack" budget is $150. Our dining out (off site) budget is $200. Our total "non-Disney DP" spending is $900. That includes Disney meals, offsite TS meals and plenty of snacks. Saving almost $1,000 and not using the dining plan def works for our family.

Draw backs in my experience using the DDP is below. I would double these experiences when considering the DDP..but this is just us.

-Time it takes getting to and from restaurant can be substantial (hours)
-The amount of food is INCREDIBLE!! We felt like we were ALWAYS full!
-We had tons of snacks leftover on the last day of our trip
-We had lots of CS left over at the end of our trip (skipped meals because we were always so full!)
-Ended up paying for a family of 5's meal @ Earl of Sandwich..I'll never forget the look on the dad's face when I gave it to him :cloud9:
-We found our schedule very rigid in order to make all our ADR's (I much prefer eating when/what we want and not worrying about running from here to there by such-n-such time)

The convenience was great, and that is one definite plus. Just for me, not worth the price or time it takes to get the full value of it. Just my .02

We were going to do the DDP but decided against it. We are getting TiW this year and found it is cheaper for the 4 of us to use that. We have Club level room though, so that covers breakfast and some snacks.

There is no way my family could eat dessert at every meal. The folks that claim how great the DDP is because it allows them to prepay their meals could also just put money aside and use it to pay their dining bills while at Disney. In sum, its great we have freedom to make choices. If you like the DDP, use it, if you don't see value, do what needs to be done.

We always do the DxDDP. DH won't even discuss the possibility of taking a trip without it, lol! I don't actually know if it saves us money, in fact I don't even like to think about the individual prices for anything (tickets, room, DDP, etc) I just have a whole budget for the trip and make sure we stay inside it.

So it's not so much about the big picture money for us, but more the guilt at individual meals of "Oh, I guess I should get the veggie lasagna instead of the huge steak I really want, b/c it's half the price," or "Well, I guess that really yummy looking appetizer isn't really worth $12, maybe we'll pass". And then DH will be sad and sulk about it for the rest of the meal. Or beat himself up the whole time if he gives in and gets it anyway. With the DDP, it's all the same, so you might as well get what you want. It's not just about having it prepaid (like on a gift card), it really all feels "free" at that moment. It's the kind of stress that DH loves to be able to not have on vacation.

If we didn't do the DDP, and paid out of pocket, I would have a hard time making as many TS ADRs for the same reason. Even if the $$ came out the same in the end, I would start feeling guilty and trim a few here and there. Which would no doubt make me sad later. Being on the DxDDP especially, we need all those ADRs to feel like we are using it well, so I can plan as many TS meals as I want!

Even if we were calculating how much we would spend and putting on a gc ahead of time, we would still of course know that if we could manage to spend less, we'd have that money for other things... and it would create this pressure to try to be frugal. I try to be frugal in daily life, but it's one of the things I want a break from on vacation.

So we get to eat what and where we want, and not feel guilty while doing it. Because it's all been paid for months in advance, and is now use-it-or-lose-it. It's a win-win.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter