Dining Plan ? "Kids"

gone2disney

Mouseketeer
We have been to Disney several times and have used the dining plan. However, I am a little annoyed by the fact that my daughter that just turns 10 this summer is now considered an adult for dining. Not so much by the cost-hope to get FD, but by the fact that she will not like most items on the adult menu or eat nearly that much-she's still a kid! Would it be better or is it possible to pay for her OOP(kids meal) for some meals and save the credits? We could then do a signature or 2.

Yes. The credits belong to the room, and can be used in any valid way by the guests in that room.

yes, you can pay oop for her meals and then do some 2ts meals. We did this last year with our son, he sometimes just wanted a kids cheese pizza so instead of using an adult credit for a $7.00 kids meal I saved his credit and paid oop, the only place that gave me a hard time was LeCellier, I still ordered him the kids pizza but the waiter said I had to use my credit as it was free dining, he then charged me for an adult meal(steak) so the tip portion of his meal was almost more then it would of cost to pay oop. Every other resturant told me I could pay oop and the LeCellier waiter was wrong so for my next trip I know, so yes you can do this if you wish.

We have been to Disney several times and have used the dining plan. However, I am a little annoyed by the fact that my daughter that just turns 10 this summer is now considered an adult for dining. Not so much by the cost-hope to get FD, but by the fact that she will not like most items on the adult menu or eat nearly that much-she's still a kid! Would it be better or is it possible to pay for her OOP(kids meal) for some meals and save the credits? We could then do a signature or 2.

We went in November 09, with my 10 year old...on the free DP...almost every restaurant allowed her to get a kids meal but use the adult credit....

Most 10 year olds do not eat adult sized meals...if they didn't allow it, we were prepared to just pay for the kids meal (the kids meals are usually pretty cheap anyway).

I have the opposite issue. A 9 year old who we plan to book as a 10yr old and pay the difference. The problem is that the vast majority of the kids menus are VERY limited. We are staying for 8 days. She would quickly tire of the macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, pizza or a hot dog almost daily. Upgrading her to an adult plan allows her to order anything she wants, including but not limited to the kids menu. She won't eat some of the larger meals but she'll enjoy her meals far more.

I have the opposite issue. A 9 year old who we plan to book as a 10yr old and pay the difference. The problem is that the vast majority of the kids menus are VERY limited. We are staying for 8 days. She would quickly tire of the macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, pizza or a hot dog almost daily. Upgrading her to an adult plan allows her to order anything she wants, including but not limited to the kids menu. She won't eat some of the larger meals but she'll enjoy her meals far more.

Us, too. My 8 year old son eats as much as I do, and enjoys things like fish, steak, sushi, and adult-style meals. I plan to upgrade him to an adult so that he can eat things that appeal to him rather than nuggets and pizza everyday.

There's got to be a cut off somewhere, and you certainly can't please everyone.

So glad that someone posted this question, because my son will also be turning 10 before we go to WDW this year. His diet consists of hot dogs, pizza and chicken nuggets....I've scoured the restaurant menus and have yet to find an adult meal (other than a buffet) that he'd be happy with! I'm glad to hear that they will let you use adult credits to purchase a kids meal!

:)

I thought I was the only one with this dilemma. For our next trip we are going to try the QSDP and pay oops for 4x TS. So they can order what ever they want. When we head to the CS, the 11 and 9 are going to share there food. Because the 9 will eat more then the 11.
Good luck

this is our third trip and we have the opposite problem too, My kids hated the Disney kids meals
so we have upgraded them both to adult so they can get better options for them, we are there for 15 nights so it would get old very fast.
My 5 year old would pick hummus and sushi over hotdogs and pizza any day she will eat chicken nuggets but not the Disney ones they are gross she likes the adult chicken strips there. We have done this the last 2 trips, our first trip with the meal plan was a disaster for our kids

So glad that someone posted this question, because my son will also be turning 10 before we go to WDW this year. His diet consists of hot dogs, pizza and chicken nuggets....I've scoured the restaurant menus and have yet to find an adult meal (other than a buffet) that he'd be happy with! I'm glad to hear that they will let you use adult credits to purchase a kids meal!
There are adult chicken strip meals and they are WAY better then the kids ones, the kids nuggets are rubber ground up pucks, and the adult ones are real chicken breast strips, they ae much nicer
Same with the adult burgers

I've read on the boards that many places will serve an adult-sized portion of the kid's entree to an "adult-aged" child. We were prepared to try this last summer for our DD11 but she ended up being adventurous & trying new foods.

My two dds are 11 and 12. The 12 year old will order a kid's meal 90% of the time. We pay oop for the kids meal and use her credits for either 2 credit meals or extra meals such as character breakfasts. The 11 year old will order the kids meal 50% of the time.

I've read on the boards that many places will serve an adult-sized portion of the kid's entree to an "adult-aged" child. We were prepared to try this last summer for our DD11 but she ended up being adventurous & trying new foods.

On the opposite front, some restaurants (your mileage may vary) will make a kid-sized version of an adult entree. This seems to work better in non-Disney-owned restaurants. As with most "gray areas" of dining plan policy, your experience will vary by restaurant and possibly even server.

Nice to see I'm not the only one with a serious problem regarding the kids menus at the restaurants. This is my first trip onsite and my first using the dining plan so can anyone confirm -

How much does it cost to upgrade kids to the adult plan?

Which restaurants will give kid sized portions of adult meals?

I believe the current cost for the DDP is 42.99 and the kids is 19.99 so you pay the difference. You also have to pay for your child to have an adult park ticket I believe.

Yes, pay OOP for a kid's meal and save the adult credit(s). Obviously, you can't do that at the buffets though.

We did that the last time we went and it helped us (financially) to add I think two extra sit-down meals.

Yes, pay OOP for a kid's meal and save the adult credit(s). Obviously, you can't do that at the buffets though.

We did that the last time we went and it helped us (financially) to add I think two extra sit-down meals.

you can pay OOP for meal you want,

I am a bit confused by the info above. Here is our situation: DS is 8yo. He gets sick of the kids meals so I was planning on purchasing an adult DDP option. We have APs and are also DVC members so we do get a discount. I assumed I would just pay for 2 adult DDPs for our length of stay. But now I am not so sure?? Am I correct in this? Also, this talk of buying 1 adult and 1 kid DDP and then paying OOP for some meals is also confusing - can some explain why that would be beneficial? And, on top of all that, we are going during F&W so I am sure we will be eating at Epcot F&W tables for at least a couple of days - and I dont imagine you can use DDP for that, so can someone suggest what they think might be the best approach for us? Thanks! :thumbsup2

Ok for us we got our 8 yr ol the reg adult dining plan, mostly for the counter service meals they offer kids, we have a 15 day trip planned and we will pay oop for 3 of his sit down meals and use those credits for breakfast buffet.
we are paying out of pocket for his lecelleir meal and the skillet at wispering canyon and boma
when we made our ARD I made them all as an 8 year old for him
For the OOP meals, when we were seated we just told the server that DS was on his own bill before we ordered,
this exactly what we did last Oct when we went too and it was all good
if you are on the deluxe plan I don't know that it will help you much.
For example at LeCelleir DS loves steak but the adult meal would be to big so we will but pay for the kids steak for him and use that adult credit of his somewhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter