dining plan for a 10 year old

MichelleB

DIS Veteran
I have a AAA package booked for Feb. Our TA said my 10 yo was a child according to Disney when she booked the dining portion but she charged us adult price for her ticket. Isn't my 10 yo an adult for the dining plan? Is the plan worth it for a 10 yo? We're debating the dining option and our 10 yo is a small eater but I'm thinking we may make up for it with our meals then. What are your thoughts?

At age 10 kids have to pay the adult price for the dining plan and therefore can order off the adult menu.

My son is 10 but he's a BIG eater so for us this would be worth the price.

My initial thought is you should send your TA flowers because they charged you $10.99 a day for a $38.99 per day dining plan!

Yes, a 10 y/o is an adult on the dining plan. I'd first recheck your documents from the TA and be sure what they actually charged you. I'd also verify the details with Disney Dining to be sure you're covered. You don't want to get to Disney and have a problem.

MichelleB said:
I have a AAA package booked for Feb. Our TA said my 10 yo was a child according to Disney when she booked the dining portion but she charged us adult price for her ticket. Isn't my 10 yo an adult for the dining plan? Is the plan worth it for a 10 yo? We're debating the dining option and our 10 yo is a small eater but I'm thinking we may make up for it with our meals then. What are your thoughts?
This is the same problem we are having. We were originally going to do it, but my DD9 who will be 10 when we go is NEVER going to eat enough food to make it worth it. I don't even think I would. DH is the only one of us who I know will take full advantage of all that's coming to him. I haven't cancelled any of my ADR's yet, but I'm pretty sure we're not going to do it.

Yep, a 10 year old in Disney language is an adult. I've already begun rethinking the DDP for us next year because my oldest will cross over into the adult zone, but I doubt he'll eat the grown up food.

You guys are so lucky that your kids do not want grown up food! My DD9 is exactly the opposite so needless to say, she was bummed with the child selections on the DDP. The only exception was at Concourse Steakhouse where she had a child filet mignon, at $12.99 by the way if paying OOP! What a great deal that DDP when you are looking at prices like that! My DD9 and my DN5 both got the filet and thought they had hit the big time! The bad part is they both got really sick after eating it.

Check the menus at the restaurants you are wanting to dine at and compare the prices. You may come off cheaper ordering your 10 yo's eat an appetizer and pay OOP or you could ask if they would half an adult portion and charge you less--like paying for a lunch sized entree at dinner. I agree that 10yo shouldn't have to eat like adults unless than can! $38.99 is a lot to pay for a child even though at Disney prices, you could spend that much a day feeding kids!

Good luck and hopefully you can find a way to reasonable way to feed your family!

We accidentally booked our 10 year old as a 9 year old last year. She turned 10 right before we went, so when we were making the reservations 6 months before, we put her down as 9 without thinking about it. Since she's fine with the kids meals (she didn't even finish most of them!), it wasn't an issue, although I'm sure somebody will tell me how dishonest it was :confused3 but this year she's booked as 11, and does want to try a few adult things. If she wants a kids meal though, we'll pay OOP for it and bank the adult credit. (note- this is NOT the same as banking a kid's credit for an adult meal, which we would NEVER do) She still wants the kid's chocolate mouse dessert at LeCellular though, even if she does order a "grownup" steak, LOL! (she is STILL talking about that mouse!!) I'm still not sure how my 68lb child is considered an "adult", but they have to draw the line somewhere, right?

MichelleB said:

IMHO - when a child starts tossing aside the kid's menu in favor of drewling over the adult's it's time to charge for the adult plan. My 9yo just started this last time we were at Friendly's :rotfl: (btw - he still ordered from the kids' but thought the clam chowder, shrimp etc looked very intrguing) I know I'll get my $s worth out of him on the adult plan in a few years time. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter