Dining Plan changes, whats really up here?

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
Do you think that the changes to the Dining Plan is a result of declining sales of it? I think it might be. Many people just quit finding value in it.

Do you think that the changes to the Dining Plan is a result of declining sales of it? I think it might be. Many people just quit finding value in it.
I think if any (or all or those) changes are true, then we can expect to see a big price hike when package prices for 2016 are announced in June or July. Sort of a good news/bad news scenario.

ETA: I do like the ability to swap out QS desserts for something else, as well as substituting a salad or soup for the dessert at TS locations. It is more in keeping with the way that we dine out. I'm still not convinced that the dining plans are a bargain for us, but it's nice to see that Disney is at least listening to those of us who regarded it as an extremely poor fit because of the dessert-heavy selections.

Last edited:

I think it's just a reaction to the thousands of requests that receive to substitute something else for a dessert/sugary item.

This is a great idea and would make the plan seem more desirable to our family. But if this means a big increase is coming, we'd probably opt to pay out of pocket again.

Ya, yall's reasons as well. But if another good size price hike comes with with, I just see more and more people going the way we go, OOP.

I used the calculator that had been posted on this site and ended up being correct for our family, OOP was by far cheaper and if you have the magic band, it's just as simple.

My sister's family chose to utilize the QSDP and they wasted so much food, plus took 10 snacks home with them (mainly fruit for their drive).

Our family of 4 spent much less on food than their family of 3 did.

Seems like since Disney is so conservation minded, this change makes sense. What is the point in giving people a dessert they probably throw away?

The only time I ever got the DDP was when it was buy 4 nights get 3 free back in 2009.

I was just pricing out the quick service plan for myself yesterday at $41.99 per night x 6 nights for a total of $251.94. The mug price has been lowered to $16.49 for length of stay and with tax will cost $17.56. I averaged out 6 snacks at $4 a piece for a total of $24. So the total cost for the plan minus the mug and snacks is $210.38. If I divide that number by 12 QS credits I need to spend $17.53 per meal to break even. I don't see myself coming close to spending that OOP for a QS meal. I rarely get dessert and 99% of the time substitute fries for a salad, grapes or carrots and drink the free iced water instead of soda.

In some ways these changes match what the dining plan used to be a long time ago. In the past you did not have to get a dessert. Sides were allowed like soup or salad. The snack option was better a long time ago, too.

I somewhat think this may also be in response to eating a healthier meal, too.

I'm not sure this will mean a raise in the price of the dining plans. We will have to wait and see on that one.

I think that Disney is preparing for another big price hike and possibly bringing the child pricing closer to the adult pricing.
I think if any (or all or those) changes are true, then we can expect to see a big price hike when package prices for 2016 are announced in June or July. Sort of a good news/bad news scenario.

ETA: I do like the ability to swap out QS desserts for something else, as well as substituting a salad or soup for the dessert at TS locations. It is more in keeping with the way that we dine out. I'm still not convinced that the dining plans are a bargain for us, but it's nice to see that Disney is at least listening to those of us who regarded it as an extremely poor fit because of the dessert-heavy selections.
I think they are making it a little easier to use, but I agree with you about the price hike coming. I think the changes are meant to soften the blow for return guests.

"At a meal, guests can use as many dining credits as they wish; for example, if you bring guests along, you can use credits to pay for them."

wow, that one is making my head spin.

The price will be going up for sure.

"At a meal, guests can use as many dining credits as they wish; for example, if you bring guests along, you can use credits to pay for them."

wow, that one is making my head spin.

The price will be going up for sure.

Wow! We are traveling as a group of 10 in three different rooms. We could buy the deluxe dining plan for one of the rooms of 4 and share the credits with everyone! Even if we just did snacks and buffets, I'd bet we come out ahead.

Wow! We are traveling as a group of 10 in three different rooms. We could buy the deluxe dining plan for one of the rooms of 4 and share the credits with everyone! Even if we just did snacks and buffets, I'd bet we come out ahead.
There's no way to lose on this! And what's to stop a big group from putting 1 adult and lots of kids in one room, buy the deluxe on that room and share with the rest of the party.

Definitely see a price increase headed this way.

Interesting that the consensus is that they are paving the way for a price hike (although that seems to be the answer for everything).

I actually think the dining plan is already overpriced. Paying OOP is usually the less expensive way to go. Perhaps they are trying to make the dining plan more flexible to entice more people to buy it.

Interesting that the consensus is that they are paving the way for a price hike (although that seems to be the answer for everything).

I actually think the dining plan is already overpriced. Paying OOP is usually the less expensive way to go. Perhaps they are trying to make the dining plan more flexible to entice more people to buy it.
I agree. Disney is not ignorant about when they've maxed out on a particular product. They used to market the dining plan as a 30% savings over OOP. Now I think they've realized they've gone too far with it.

I think it's overpriced too. But you and I are return visitors and Disney is less interested in us than they are in the "first time/once in a lifetime" visitor whose wallet is completely open to the white gloved four fingered hand of Mickey. I would be interested to see how many of them buy the DDP.

I feel like the budget board is the minority when it comes to forgoing the dining plan. I know plenty of people that use it and insist it's the way to go (not just for their family, but think everyone should get the dining plan).

I've seen a lot of QS desserts tossed over the years so maybe it is a conservation effort like someone else said, but really, I think it's probably about the money. :)

It's going to be interesting to watch this unfold. I am pleased with all of the proposed changes .. especially the being able to swap out desserts. And like most of you.. I am pretty sure that means a price hike because it feels too good to be true.

There are many who use the DP because they like the convenience of it already being paid for. They know it doesn't really save them money, so people will still buy it even with a price hike. I think now, with the changes it makes it more appealing to those people.
We don't do the DP because we just do better OOP, but I don't see anything negative with these changes.

I used the calculator that had been posted on this site and ended up being correct for our family, OOP was by far cheaper and if you have the magic band, it's just as simple.

My sister's family chose to utilize the QSDP and they wasted so much food, plus took 10 snacks home with them (mainly fruit for their drive).

Our family of 4 spent much less on food than their family of 3 did.

Seems like since Disney is so conservation minded, this change makes sense. What is the point in giving people a dessert they probably throw away?

I've been looking at the calculator as well and for what we're planning on doing on our trip OOP will be cheaper. Plus, I don't have to worry about which restaurant to pay out of pocket for, which to use the credit on, etc. When we're on vacation at WDW, we don't eat like we normally do at home. Our dining schedules get out of whack and nobody is hungry at the same time as everyone else. If I purchase the dining plan, I feel like we HAVE to stay on yet another Disney regulated schedule. Paying OOP still gives us some freedom to eat when and how much we want. We only have 2 TS meals scheduled and have enough Disney Rewards to cover those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter