Dining - Just dessert?

tentaguasu

Mouseketeer
The one thing I've never done at Disney is nice, sit down dining. For us, it's just too expensive.

I'm going with a group of 5, and was wondering if it is (1) permitted, (2) crazy, (3) otherwise unacceptable to make reservations and do one of the following:

1. Just get desserts and nothing else.
2. Just get a few dishes to share among the group (e.g. two entres and two apps. to share among 5)
3. Just get appetizers.

This may seem cheap to some, but we are on a budget and honestly we usually do this in our everyday life anyway as we find restaurant portions too large.

But not sure if this would be frowned upon in some way.

Thoughts?

I second the above poster. It's your reservation and your money, you can do with it as you please when it comes to dining. Order just dessert, just appetizers, whatever you like! Enjoy.

While we've never just gotten dessert, DH & I almost always either order just apps OR split one entree. It's never been a problem.

Many times we've gone in, nibbled through a few appetizers and gone off again, or made a mid-afternoon reservation and only ordered dessert and coffee.

So....
(1) permitted: Of course. Your time, your money, your vacation.
(2) crazy: Heck, no. See above. Crazy like a fox, maybe.
(3) otherwise unacceptable.... : Only if it annoys everyone around you that you're having a good time sampling Disney restaurants and keeping on a budget while they're spending scads of money on partly finished meals :rotfl2:

We do this at T-Rex. Our son loves to go in there so we just get a dessert. We do make sure we tip very well since that table could have gone to a party that ordered a full meal. But then again, we are an easy table and are in and out pretty quickly.

I agree with all the others. You can def do any of the options you listed. We have done them all in the past; sometimes to save money and sometimes simply because we are not all that hungry (have you seen the portions at some of those places...they're HUGE). We do however leave a bigger tip than our bill requires if we are doing something like just dessert or splitting one entree for two ppl. Just because we feel bad for the waitress, but even this is not a requirement. If you choose not to in order to budget then do what you have to to have a great time :goodvibes

I know lots do this at Sci-Fi in the Studios. Personally, I do not mind the food there, but agree the desserts and atmosphere are cool and a nice break from the heat.

You are the customer, all of your questions are allowable and should not be frowned upon. So enjoy!

My wife and I often split a meal at a restaurant (but usually it is so we have room for desert afterwards).

The one thing I've never done at Disney is nice, sit down dining. For us, it's just too expensive.

I'm going with a group of 5, and was wondering if it is (1) permitted, (2) crazy, (3) otherwise unacceptable to make reservations and do one of the following:

1. Just get desserts and nothing else.
2. Just get a few dishes to share among the group (e.g. two entres and two apps. to share among 5)
3. Just get appetizers.

This may seem cheap to some, but we are on a budget and honestly we usually do this in our everyday life anyway as we find restaurant portions too large.

But not sure if this would be frowned upon in some way.

Thoughts?

Yep, I agree with everyone else! You'll be fine doing this. I know sometimes when we have ADR's all I feel like is an appetizer!

I actually think its great that some people do this!! It allows for walk ups ;) The table is full for only a fraction of the time they thought so they can fill it with walk ups!!

I also think I will do this on a future trip!!!

I see nothing wrong with it.
When we go to Le Cellier out of pocket (which will be all the time as of next year) We usually just get soup, breadsticks, and dessert. If we are really hungry, we split a meal. For one, it is too expensive and 2 we are never really that hungry and I usually never have room for dessert if I eat my meal first.
We also like to share the burger at Liberty Tree. They have always been nice and cut it for us in the kitchen and divided the fries too.
We just don't like to over eat and over spend.

I agree with everyone. You can order what you'd like.I've seen quite a few tables during our vacations who only ordered appetizers or desserts and drinks.

I have even commented during one of the meals that maybe we could do that once in a while since we eat at TS restaurants twice a day. My daughter (7) would be happy to do that, but my son (12) requires an appetizer, an steak dinner and dessert for most meals and then he finishes his sister's dinner. So you can imagine the look on his face :scared1: when I suggested the idea. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter