Dining Issues??

With free dining you pay the same for the room whether you have 2, 3 or 4 people right?

With free dining you pay the same for the room whether you have 2, 3 or 4 people right?

Correct, but you are paying rack-rate for the room which is higher than the seasonal rate or any room-only discount you might be able to secure.

Enjoy your vacation!

Correct, but you are paying rack-rate for the room which is higher than the seasonal rate or any room-only discount you might be able to secure.

Enjoy your vacation!

I think the seasonal rate IS the rack rate on the room. The rack rate is just adjusted based on their season :)

Just to make sure you are aware-you do know that some of the places you have booked take 2 credits on the dining plan instead of 1?

All I know is when I ran the numbers before the dining plan discount came out it was $1200 more so it did save me a good chunk. I figured i'd check prices again when the discounts come off the room itself as well in a few months and make sure whats the better deal.

Just to make sure you are aware-you do know that some of the places you have booked take 2 credits on the dining plan instead of 1?

Ya, 2 of them are.....the Cinderella round table only myself mom and daughter are going to that night so it won't be as bad instead of all 5 of us going. Hubby and son are going to hang at the hotel and swim and eat lol

I have swallowing problems, I have a severe stricture from radiation damage because of cancer treatment. I have to eat soft foods. After speaking with the chefs, a few of them were able to make me some nice puréed soups. I was also told that they would purée anything on the menu if I wanted. I try to just figure out something I can eat that is supposed to be soft, like mashed potatoes or something, rather than blended food. Not sure exactly what your son's requirements are, but they can make and blend foods there. I always have my special diet needs noted on all the ADRs, then mention to the server, and the chef comes out to chat.

I have swallowing problems, I have a severe stricture from radiation damage because of cancer treatment. I have to eat soft foods. After speaking with the chefs, a few of them were able to make me some nice puréed soups. I was also told that they would purée anything on the menu if I wanted. I try to just figure out something I can eat that is supposed to be soft, like mashed potatoes or something, rather than blended food. Not sure exactly what your son's requirements are, but they can make and blend foods there. I always have my special diet needs noted on all the ADRs, then mention to the server, and the chef comes out to chat.

That's awesome to know thanks so much for sharing!! Gives me some piece of mind as well!!

Unless the third/fourth person is an adult. Then there's a supplement.
Is it proportional to the rate paid? Like if you pay $100 per night for your room is it $15 per person per night more, but if you pay $200 per night for your room it's $30 per person per night more? It just seems like if the family is staying in one room the OP actually isn't paying any more for the non-eater than she would if they got a room only discount. And for buffets and character meals she'd have to pay OOP for the non-eater anyway.

Is it proportional to the rate paid? Like if you pay $100 per night for your room is it $15 per person per night more, but if you pay $200 per night for your room it's $30 per person per night more?

Well, yes and no. Not directly anyway. Room rates are based on 2 adults (age 18+), anything more than 2 adults in most resort rooms will result in the "additional adult" charge. At value resorts I believe it's an additional $10 per night, moderates an additional $15 per night, and deluxes are an additional $20 per night -- that's per night and per adult (so 4 adults in a value room for 5 nights will cost an extra $100). Additional adult charges are standard in the hotel industry, some places even charge extra for kids.

The extra fee does not apply to suites.

Well, yes and no. Not directly anyway. Room rates are based on 2 adults (age 18+), anything more than 2 adults in most resort rooms will result in the "additional adult" charge. At value resorts I believe it's an additional $10 per night, moderates an additional $15 per night, and deluxes are an additional $20 per night -- that's per night and per adult (so 4 adults in a value room for 5 nights will cost an extra $100). Additional adult charges are standard in the hotel industry, some places even charge extra for kids.

The extra fee does not apply to suites.
At DLR they actually don't charge extra for 4 adults, which is rare in CA. But anyway, I thought it was a flat rate per night, as I think that's the norm. So then I really don't understand the argument as 1. there is no extra charge for the kids and 2. when there are charges for extra people it's the same if you're paying the rack rate or a discounted rate. With free dining you're not paying more for extra "eaters," you're just not getting those extra child credits to use at your discretion. Except for snack credits. So there is even a small bonus.

I thought I saw somewhere recently where at the charter meals you can have fees be waved for no eating parties waved if you call and speak to a CM to book the reservation. They will make a note for the staff at the restaurant to not charge for them no mater what age they are. I found it talked about on the special mouse podcast episode link and inf is here http://specialmouse.com/tag/feeding-tube/

Some Walt Disney World news to share that will be of interest to guests traveling with a person who has a feeding tube and is making pre-paid dining reservations. As you may or may not know, many dining experiences at WDW require pre-payment of all meals at the time the reservation is made. This applies to character buffets like Chef Mickey’s and the Crystal Palace, dinner shows like the Hoop-dee-doo Review, and family-style dining at restaurants like O’hana.

In the past, Disney Dining required that every person attending the meal be charged for the meal, including people who were not actually EATING the meal because they were tube fed. So, guests would have to appeal to the server at the time of the meal and request that the charge for the tube-fed person be removed. I’ve rarely heard of anyone being denied this request, but nevertheless, why should anyone have to spend time and energy doing this while on vacation?

So, official word given to Disney Travel agents is that Cast Members at the Disney Dining reservation system have been given the OK to employ a procedure to get around this policy.

How will it work?

First, Disney Dining will book the reservation for the total number of people in the party. They will book the adult or child with the feeding tube as an “infant” so that person will not be charged for a meal. Then Disney Dining will place internal notes on the reservation stating that one guest will not be eating due to special needs.

Please note that this is an internal workaround that applies to pre-paid dining reservations ONLY: it has nothing to do with the Disney Dining Plan travel packages which are attached to park tickets.

The advantage of this is new procedure is that it removes the awkward tableside negotiating regarding the check. A small change, yes, and one that you may argue has been a long time coming, but, it is a positive change nevertheless and one that I am happy to share with you.

some blog said:
Some Walt Disney World news to share that will be of interest to guests traveling with a person who has a feeding tube and is making pre-paid dining reservations. As you may or may not know, many dining experiences at WDW require pre-payment of all meals at the time the reservation is made. This applies to character buffets like Chef Mickey’s No, it doesn't and the Crystal Palace No, it doesn't, dinner shows like the Hoop-dee-doo Review, and family-style dining at restaurants like O’hana No, it doesn't (and it's not an Irish restaurant).
With so much basic, simple information wrong and no other source and the strong potential for abuse, I don't believe this.

Understand, I just put a call into the disabilities help line at WDW so I'll see what suggestion they make when they call back. We did the free dining plan bc it seemed like the best deal per say. Your right maybe I need to rework how we are doing things :/

Here' are the restaurant's we are doing. We have never been so I don't know which it will effect and which they won't.

Chef Mickey, The crystal palace , Hollywood and Vine, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall (breakfast), 'Ohana (breakfast), Tusker house lunch, Cinderella's round table (dinner and only my mom, my daughter and myself are going it's a 'girls night dinner' hubby and son are going to do something different), Le Cellier Steakhouse

Which of these will be the problems?

Of those restaurants all except Le Cellier he will be charged whether he eats or not because they are buffet/all you can eat family style character meals

I thought I saw somewhere recently where at the charter meals you can have fees be waved for no eating parties waved if you call and speak to a CM to book the reservation. They will make a note for the staff at the restaurant to not charge for them no mater what age they are. I found it talked about on the special mouse podcast episode link and inf is here http://specialmouse.com/tag/feeding-tube/

Some Walt Disney World news to share that will be of interest to guests traveling with a person who has a feeding tube and is making pre-paid dining reservations. As you may or may not know, many dining experiences at WDW require pre-payment of all meals at the time the reservation is made. This applies to character buffets like Chef Mickey’s and the Crystal Palace, dinner shows like the Hoop-dee-doo Review, and family-style dining at restaurants like O’hana.

In the past, Disney Dining required that every person attending the meal be charged for the meal, including people who were not actually EATING the meal because they were tube fed. So, guests would have to appeal to the server at the time of the meal and request that the charge for the tube-fed person be removed. I’ve rarely heard of anyone being denied this request, but nevertheless, why should anyone have to spend time and energy doing this while on vacation?

So, official word given to Disney Travel agents is that Cast Members at the Disney Dining reservation system have been given the OK to employ a procedure to get around this policy.

How will it work?

First, Disney Dining will book the reservation for the total number of people in the party. They will book the adult or child with the feeding tube as an “infant” so that person will not be charged for a meal. Then Disney Dining will place internal notes on the reservation stating that one guest will not be eating due to special needs.

Please note that this is an internal workaround that applies to pre-paid dining reservations ONLY: it has nothing to do with the Disney Dining Plan travel packages which are attached to park tickets.

The advantage of this is new procedure is that it removes the awkward tableside negotiating regarding the check. A small change, yes, and one that you may argue has been a long time coming, but, it is a positive change nevertheless and one that I am happy to share with you.

We've had enough experiences on this board alone to know that isn't true. It's also specifically talking about tube fed children, which doesn't apply here. And if we are thinking 'well, it's a similar situation' it's a perfect example of why they wouldn't do something like that. They'll have a lot of people thinking they should qualify too, or people who've had weight loss surgery wanting the child's price for buffets which they also decline, etc.

That's not a well known information site. I wouldn't believe it at all.

Last edited:
I thought I saw somewhere recently where at the charter meals you can have fees be waved for no eating parties waved if you call and speak to a CM to book the reservation.

Apparently that website has very incorrect information on this issue. That's too bad.

Credit cards are required at the time you make reservations for all ADRs, that started a couple of years ago. But generally the card is not charged unless your party is a no-show. True there are a few restaurants that do require pre-payment, but most of the dining experiences that website listed do not.

As pointed out, we've had numerous first-hand reports here on the disABILITIES Forum indicating that every guest is charged at buffets, family style meals and dinner shows regardless of ability or intent to eat. Exceptions have been rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter