Dining Experience... Am I being too critical?

My number one pet peeve in the WHOLE world is someone rolling their eyes :rolleyes2 at me, or at something I said :headache: :mad: I will immediately say to them "UNLESS YOU SUDDENLY LOST YOUR CONTACT AND ARE A LOOKING FOR IT UNDER YOUR EYE LIDS, YOU BEST NEVER ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME AGAIN, OR I WILL SNATCH THEM RIGHT OUT" :rotfl: :rolleyes1 It typically gets my point across ::yes::

I totally agree!
Our server on our recent cruise was good, but not great. He gave me the same kinda feeling when we didn't order what he suggested. Of course I had high expectations from what others had said about the service. My son asked for a ceasar salad every night and it seemed we always got an eye roll for that.
We asked for an extra entree one night and got a slight attitude. MY dh thought the service was fine, I thought so, too, just expected it to be a little bit more than fine :snooty:

just wondering -
Do you think the servers would be offended if I say at the first meal something along the lines of "be prepared; I drink iced tea like a camel drinks water at an oasis (haha)" Our servers were super on our last cruise except for that - and an empty glass is really my pet peeve and has cost many a server a better tip! But on the flip side, I will tip great for great service. (which I went ahead and did last time)

SO...would I be doing them a favor OR being an obnoxious-right-off-the-git-go guest to clue them in???

this is something i would totally say!!! as i am sitting here reading this thread i am freaking out! everyone talks about the great disney service, my husband says never say anything to the people who handle your food. i think i am going to be upfront the first night. this is our first cruise, and with the money we paid, i am looking to be well taken care of, like i have read all about. all i have read is how wonderful the servers are, they know your names, they have your favorite's waiting, and so on. i didn't know there was eye rolling on board:sad1: i have 3 young kids, and to manage them through dinner and deal with possible attitude, no way.
i am going to tell our server the first night, we love shrimp, we don't drink soda, keep the refils coming, and we need extra napkins everynight. :laughing:

We too have had bad service on DCL. I have to say it was our Wonder trip, not any of our Magics. Like many others, I did not say anything either. I would actually be scared to complain about my servers prior to the last day. These people have to serve your food all week and I just do ot care to have my food seasoned with a little salivia. So, I am too scared they may do something to my food to say something. A little finger up the nose then into the soup is a little flavor I care to skip. So, I would not complain either. Now in regards to breakfast the last morning...... All of our cruises but our last one last month, the staff has always been distant and very few words exchanged, even when we have tipped them well. I have commented on this a hundred times. My DH keeps telling me not to take it personal. He tells me "they are just in the zone trying to prepare for a whole new set of people to get on the ship. After all, 1st night is the hardest for them." So, I try to believe this and not take it personal at disbarkment breakfast.:thumbsup2

...often they would give us a dip for our bread and forget the bread, give us food we didn't order and forget to give us our alcohol drink slip. We had to remind them to let us pay for our drinks!

We had issues with the bread as well. They'd bring one basket of bread with 6 pieces of bread in it for 8 people. So we'd have to ask for more. I don't mind asking for more, but it seems contrary to what the dining experience is supposed to be.

Prior to dessert our first night at Triton's, the assistant server brought over a cappucino and set it in front of my mother. She didn't order it, but thought it was part of the dinner service and began to drink it. She was actually really happy to get it. Then we got the dessert menus and she saw that it costs like $3. She immediately put it down and tried to tell them that she didn't order it so please don't charge her. Eventually the assistant server apologized and said that he was told that the beverage was for our table so he brought it and served it. Just another incident that never should have happened.

we've had some less than stellar servers as well.

I have read about people being upfront and also giving them a little cash up front to always have x drink waiting for them at the table, etc.

We had not so great service on our 4-day last year. Our server was fine, the assistant was horrible. We did talk to the server about it and he said the guy was new. We're not picky people, but like to have our beverages refilled once in a while, especially when the pace is fairly slow and you're sitting there for two hours.

All in all I'd say the food was just ok and not any kind of high point for us, except for our brunch at Palo which was fabulous. Luckily DCL makes up for it in other ways, but for the money we all pay we should expect decent if not great service. I'm hoping that things are better on our 7 day next February.

I was wondering why it was taking you so long to reply.... I new you would bite on that one:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

gotcha

Rob

Well, Rob - I cancelled a Disney cruise last week, and my only remaining Disney cruise is more than 18 months away, so I don't spend as much time on this board as I used to.

We had an excellent serving team on the Wonder in January. The food was also very good - and quite comparable to the food we had on Adventure of the Seas 2 months later. :)

All of the good cruiseline employees in the world don't work only for DCL, just as all of the mediocre ones don't work on every cruiseline except DCL!

just wondering -
Do you think the servers would be offended if I say at the first meal something along the lines of "be prepared; I drink iced tea like a camel drinks water at an oasis (haha)" Our servers were super on our last cruise except for that - and an empty glass is really my pet peeve and has cost many a server a better tip! But on the flip side, I will tip great for great service. (which I went ahead and did last time)

SO...would I be doing them a favor OR being an obnoxious-right-off-the-git-go guest to clue them in???

I wouldn't hesitate to let your server know from the get-go to keep the iced tea flowing. ITA about yoru empty glass pet peeve. I drink water like you drink iced tea and it drives me crazy when we go out to eat and the server brings me a glass of water and then no one ever bothers to refill it and I usually can't find someone - the server or a busser - to even ask for a refill. Sometimes I think I should just ask for a pitcher of water up front so I can take care of my water needs myself. :sad2:

I also agree that I will tip for great service and am more than happy to do so.

When the server returned to take our dessert orders, though we didn't ask for it she brought a Mickey ice cream for my son.

Our head server did this on our Wonder cruise as well. While I can appreciate his trying to please my DS, I was also annoyed because my DS prefers cheesecake and other "adult" desserts. When presented with the Mickey bar he wanted to eat that *and* get the cheesecake too, so then I'm put in the position of having to refuse him the extra treat (yes, because I'm a "mean mom" and won't let him have two desserts. ;) ).

Anyway, I'm so sorry to read about your experience with your servers. I don't think you were too critical nor your expectations for good service unreasonable.

All of the good cruiseline employees in the world don't work only for DCL, just as all of the mediocre ones don't work on every cruiseline except DCL![/QUOTE]

No some work for Carnival:thumbsup2

Rob

We have had to ask for sweetener for the iced tea on the first night, but subsequent nights it has been on the table.

For the poster who asked about letting the asst. server know up front about your beverage needs (quantity!), when we were on the Med, I would make sure on the nights that we came in from an excursion and went right to dinner to let our wonderful asst. server (Vivien) know that we were especially thirsty so she knew to keep an eye on our water glasses (and other beverages) as the meal progressed. As for bread, I wish they would have a basket that is just the plain rolls as well as the more "fancy" bread -- at AP, we don't like the "fancy" bread but there were never enough "regular" rolls in the bread basket, so we'd have to ask for more - and it always felt so wasteful because we left the fancy bread. I understand that is how the bread is pre-served in the galley, though. Now that sweet banana bread in Parrot Cay? i could eat a whole basket by myself!!!! LOL. And I have to give a big shout-out about Andrew (our server) on the Med, too, as he pegged us quickly for our likes and dislikes but always made sure to give us a chance to let him know if we wanted something different. Of course having 10-nights was actually a bit more relaxing for the servers in terms of having to get to know their guests - although maybe a bit worse if they happened to have overly-demanding guests.

OP, sorry you had a not so stellar serving team. I think it's great, though, that you took care of things as they happened rather than just coming home and venting on the board when there is nothing that can be done about it. Talking to your server and the head server can definitely improve things, even if it's a bit awkward to do so. Good reminder to all those sailing after you -- if your dining experiences are "off" and not what you expect them to be (within reason), let your server know.

Our family had excellent service on our two cruises, but I will admit I was a little intimidated by our server on the first cruise. She was efficient, never made a mistake with an order or forgot anything, but I know what you all mean about sensing irritation and disapproval at times.

To the OP, I am really sorry to hear about the problems you had with your serving team. I know I would have felt very put out and frustrated since the dining experience is a big part of my vacation enjoyment. After reading your account and remembering my stint as a waitress, I'm guessing you had the bad luck of getting an inexperienced server who was nervous and hadn't learned how to handle the stress yet. Giving people the wrong things, not being attuned to your guests needs and preferences, not foreseeing their needs, and expressing irritation sound like symptoms of inexperience. I've been a waitress like that but fortunately only for the first month or so my employment.

Will you be cruising with DCL again in the future? I hope so. It can only get better. ;)

We too have had Mediocre servers on our cruise's, we have sailed 4 times now DCL and last time March/08, while the server was good and trying hard the assisstant server was terrible.

The 1st night he was giving my 8 year old DD a 2nd glass of chocolate milk, when her 1st one was only 1/3 done (and dinner wasn't even served yet). I want her to eat her dinner when it does arrive.

To everynight having to constantly ask for coffee, all the adults had some every night, 2 nights ate dessert and left with out even getting any.

He was always confused, really felt sorry for the waiter, he was no help at all. We don't let these things effect our vacation and actually try to laugh about it. My daughter does a hilarious impression of him going from table to table trying to figure out who ordered what drink. (It's pretty bad when an 8 year old notices how terrible a server is)

On the whole we love DCL, but they could improve on their table service, another cruise I always never recieved either an appitizer or dessert.

Another one both servers where on time serving but never spoke to us. It was so uncomfortable, it was like being served by mimes.

Going again next year and hoping for that great service I have yet to experience.:rotfl: :rotfl:

Our servers on the Magic April 5-12, were efficient, except for drinks. I said to our asst. the first night, "I will always get unsweetened iced tea." Only the last night did he remember. Also brought sweeteners to the table every night. Even the night when his two larger tables were empty, our glasses stayed empty more than full.

We did get great service from Fitz, our head server. Our server was sick, and missed dinner entirely the last 2 nights. Fitz waited on us one night. The other night our asst. and another server waited on us.

Our servers on our first cruise were terrific. The service was great, our kids absolutely loved them & we all really had a great time at dinner every night. Our servers on our 2nd cruise weren't nearly as good, but they weren't terrible. I guess we were expecting it to be like our 1st cruise and it wasn't, so we were disappointed.

Sorry your dining service wasn't what you expected it to be.
I guess it totally depends on the server and whether they are experienced or not.

We had good servers there were 18 of us and they handled us very well. I guess we were lucky. They kept 8 kids entertained and 10 adults happy.
Their only goof up was when I asked the asst waiter to cut my ds' pasta as he was not right near me and she pulled out sissors and cut off his kids club wristband.:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Dh and I were like WTH?!?!?:rotfl2: :lmao: Other than that it went well, and ds received a new kids club wristband.

Our party of eight cruised the Wonder this past January. Our waiter was very sweet, just not that competant!!! Our assistant waiter was even sweeter. Unfortunatlly, he was even less competant than our waiter!!! We were usually the first family in the dining room. We were never done until the other waiters were setting up the dining room for the next seating! Very uncomfortable! The assistant waiter NEVER got our drink order right, The head waiter tried very hard to fix things but we just changed our drinks to something simple! Our last breakfast took 1 3/4 hours!!! I know that's hard to believe but our waiter went missing and never took our order! When he showed up he said he had to run to imigration, :confused: During service? We had 2 five year olds with us so it was trying at times but we mostly just laughed it off. We were pretty happy with most of our food though!!!

We did have dinner one night at Palo. Finally the great service we had hoped for!! Our waitress was perfect. She even brought a few extra appetizers and a few extra desserts for us to try. She had no trouble with our super tricky drinks either! Who knew rasberry vodka was so exotic!!! LOL We loved our 4 night Woder cruise despite our sloooooow service. We can't wait to cruise with Disney again. Maybe we'll luck out with servers next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter