Dining discount card-details (20% off meals)

disneymania10

Mouseketeer
We bought a dining discount card last year (can't remember the name), but it essentially gave us 20% a lot of disney meals. About $65 for cost. Anybody know the name and how to purchase it again?

Tables in Wonderland or TIW (formerly Disney Dining Experience or DDE) is available to Florida residents & AP holders. Current cost is $75 (not sure about FL resident $) and can now be purchased at an Guest Services window.

This is the table in wonderland card & if you are an annual passholder you can purchase it @ the guest services window @ the entrance to any of the theme parks or @ downtown disney. the cost is $ 75. & it is valid for 13 mo. from the day that it is purchased. it is generally a good deal .:yay::dance3:

I'm still trying to figure all of this out, and there seems to be some old info out there...and not much info at disneyworld.com.

Is there really and 18% gratuity added to all TIW purchases? Would that not make it pretty much a 2% discount for quick/counter service places?

I'm still trying to figure all of this out, and there seems to be some old info out there...and not much info at disneyworld.com.

Is there really and 18% gratuity added to all TIW purchases? Would that not make it pretty much a 2% discount for quick/counter service places?

We just returned from a trip where we used TIW- gratuity is not added at the quick/counter services places that accept it. You get the 20% off. The 18% gratuity is only added to table service meals.

I think TIW is a great deal and we are getting one in a couple of weeks. I am upgrading my ticket to an AP (love the $100 DVC-member AP discount!!!), and buying the TIW card. I crunched numbers and it works out much better for us than the DDP.

The TIW card will give you 20% off TS meals where it is accepted (some Swan/Dolphin places accept it now, as well as DTD restaurants...ones that do not take the DDP!!!). You even get 20% off of alcoholic drinks! This was appealing to us as well since we sometimes get a drink or a glass of wine with dinner, so we consider that an added bonus. They add 18% gratuity but we always tip generously so that doesn't bother us at all. There are only a few CS places that take it (Value resort food courts, some CS at AK, and one of the moderate resort food courts, I think it is one of the Port Orleans resorts). At the CS locations that accept it, you would not have to pay gratuity, so it is still a true 18% off what you would have paid if you didn't have the card! :thumbsup2

Thanks! You guys are definitely more helpful than the Disney website! (But I've generally found that to be true. :) )

We are relatively local, so our trips tend to be a bit spontaneous. Because of that, we rarely eat at table service places (hard to get reservations at the last minute!).

I knew I had to be missing something, and y'all came through with the missing pieces. THANKS! :)

Here is a working example, using $100.00 as the original bill to make the math show up easily. Note this is for Table Service. At Counter Service there is no gratutity added.

100.00 - Original Amount
*20.00 - Discount
*80.00 - Subtotal
*18.00 - Gratuity Added based on $100
**5.20 - Sales Tax on $80
103.20 - Final amount charged, takes into consideration discount, gratuity and tax.

Without TiW Discount (and still figuring 18% Gratuity)

100.00 - Amount of Bill
*18.00 - Gratuity
**6.50 - Sales Tax on $100
124.50 - Total

$21.30 - Savings using TiW Card.

(Note - At Victoria and Albert's the added gratuity is 20% instead of 18%.)
* Ignore the asterisks; they are there only so the columns/numbers line up properly.

Excellent example, Cheshire Figment. Your explanations are always easy to understand. Thanks! I may not have many posts, but I've read a LOT over the last few years. :)

Can you use TIW card when some of the people on your party have DDP? how does that work?

Hi all. We purchased this today and used it for dinner. called for an ADR @ 1:25pm. ask CSR for ribs and she gave us a resy for 6:25 at Trails End. Here is the actual receipt info. You decide if it's worth it.

$49.99 2xAdult dinners
$13.99 1x Kids Meal (even though he probably ate more than we did)
-$12.79 20% Wonderland Food
$00.00 20% Wonderland Bev (we don't drink much alcohol, but am glad it's incl)

Hope this helps!! I know TiW will help us! :banana:

Can you use TIW card when some of the people on your party have DDP? how does that work?

Yes. Just let the server know how many people are using the DDP & that you want to apply the TIW to the cash portion of the check.

In fact, if you are using the DDP and decide you want to add an appy & a drink, the TIW discount can be applied to your OOP cost.

I will often use the TiW card when I am with friends or relatives who are on DDP. I will have anything not eligible for DDP put on my bill; this includes my meal, others not on DDP, any appetizers and/or alcoholic beverages.

So the people on DDP are covered on their bills and only have to pay gratuity out of pocket, and then I work out with everyone to (sometimes) have them pick up their share of the separate check for TiW.

Thanks to all for the examples; they helped make sense of how the discount and 18% gratuity interact.

I have another question at the TIW discount. With the AP there are some dining discounts, but they are limited to certain days and times (like lunch time on weekdays). Are there any similar restrictions for the TIW card? Thanks!

TIW does have some blackout days. For the rest of this year, I believe they are Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.

Other blackout days include New Year's Day, Easter, Mother's Day and July 4.

They don't add tip at counter service places.

Only nine CS restaurants at WDW accept TIW at any rate.

The cost for a year's membership for Florida residents who are not Disney annual passholders is $100.

The blackout dates for TIW are New Years Day (January 1), Easter Sunday (April 24, 2011), Mothers Day (May 8, 2011), Independence Day (July 4), Thanksgiving Day (November 24, 2011), Christmas Eve (December 24), Christmas Day (December 25) and New Year's Eve (December 31).

Can you use this discount at the Food and Wine Festival, for the Party For The Senses or other pay events?

Thanks,

KC:hippie:

Can you use this discount at the Food and Wine Festival, for the Party For The Senses or other pay events?

Thanks,

KC:hippie:

No, you can't. The discount is not applicable to special meal packages or events. (You can't even get the discount on the special meal events that are marketed specifically to TIW members.)

However, in 2009 if you were a TIW member you were eligible for a $3 discount on the Food & Wine culinary and wine demonstrations held at the Festival Center ($5 ticket where the regular price was $8, but you had to book in advance, you could not buy the ticket at the center and get the discount). This year the prices will be higher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter