Dining at Disney

casnider

Mouseketeer
We are not using the Disney Dining Plan this year but I was wondering if it is impossible to eat a sit down meal without reservations, Anywhere? We are doing the princess dinner in Epcot on Monday, that is the only reservation I really made. And if we don't do anything but counter service or sandwiches in the room that is ok, but I was just wondering what the chances are since this is our first trip?

Definitely not impossible, although I'd call Disney Dining (407-WDW-DINE) once you know about when / where you'd like to eat, and make a last-minute ADR. Just walking up will probably end in disappointment, unless you happen to arrive 15 minutes before they open and get lucky.

You probably won't be able to get into dinner at the parks, other than the less-popular Epcot countries, but probably can have dinner at a less-popular resort. You may have a hard time getting into character meals - I suggest the Norway princess lunch/dinner (which you already have) or the Little Einsteins lunch at MGM, which both had lot of last-minute availability earlier this month. Breakfasts (a "bad deal" on the dining plan) other than character breakfasts will probably be easiest to get.

The short answers IMHO are:

Impossible? No. On any day at any time, somewhere within the 47 square mile World, there is probably a TS restaurant (probably many more than one) that is ready to seat you right now or within the hour.

Difficult? A big maybe. It depends on what your definition of difficult is. It depends on any number of factors, mainly: what restaurant do you want to eat at (some are much more popular than others)? Are you willing and able to park-hop or travel to a resort to eat? Are you willing to take a reservation at an off-peak time, like 4:15 or 9:00 for dinner? The bottom line is that sit-down dining (what is called TS on these boards, for Table Service) is popular - more popular than ever, due in part to the DDP.

Like most things at WDW, the farther in advance you can make your plans, the best chance you'll have of getting what you really want. This can be something as simple as checking at your hotel before you leave for the parks that day to see what's available in terms of ADRs that day, or even calling Disney Dining from your cellphone (or checking at Guest Services) a few hours in advance of when you want to eat. Your choices might be plentiful or few, but there will be choices, and then you can decide if any of them work and then plan accordingly. The least likely way to be successful is just walking into a place. You might be told the wait will be too long for your liking, or you might be told that they're booked solid, and you could spend the next half-hour walking to three more places to find the same situation at all of them. Or you might get lucky and get seated right away at the first place you check. Again, "it depends."

Good luck and have a great time!

I didn't plan to make any ADRs for our trip coming up in 2 weeks. Then I read a post from someone who was there and couldn't get in anywhere to eat (so they said) and I panicked. I called last night for ADRs and got Biergarten @ 7:35 and Concourse Steakhouse @ 7:40; nothing earlier at either place. Tried for Boma and O'Hana and they had nothing all night! I'm so glad I called, at least we have 2 nights ressies. You can always cancel your ADR if you change your mind but you can't cancel what you don't have. Absolutely, make ADRs ASAP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter