Ding-Dong The Witch Is Dead- Cynthia Harris Leaves!

Testtrack321

<font color=blue>Good GOD, man, quit banging your
yes, from sources at the forums.wdwmagic.com, Cynthia has resigned! I'm still looking for more info on this!

From the Cast Portal:

Farewell to the Disneyland Resort Cast

Over the past few years, we've done some incredible things together with the Disneyland Resort expansion, and we are on the threshold of our most exciting milestone, the 50th anniversary of Disneyland.
The next three years will be teeming with energy and enthusiasm, requiring the undivided commitment and attention of our team. With that in mind, it's the right time for someone else to dedicate their time and efforts to leading the Resort to this historic celebration.
After an extraordinary 11 years with The Walt Disney Company -- six of them at the Happiest Place on Earth - I have made the decision to leave the Company. The times we live in today remind us that every day counts and I recognize that there is a small window of time to put my family and loved ones first. For me, that time is now.
It has been an honor and privilege to work at the Disneyland Resort and I'm proud of being a part of this team. Dear to me are the memories of our Cast Member family and the smiling faces of our Guests. Your love, care and compassion for this magical place, each other and our Guests is the legacy I'll hold in my heart.
Matt Ouimet is a superb leader and someone I respect tremendously. He is the perfect person to carry Walt's values and traditions forward during the exciting time ahead.
Warmly,

Cynthia

I've never even been to Disneyland, so tell me, what was bad about her? I'm assuming she was pretty evil by the title of your thread.;)

From Jay:

I am very pleased to announce that Matt Ouimet, president of the Disney Cruise Line, has been promoted, effective immediately, to president of the Disneyland Resort, reporting to me.

Matt will replace Cynthia Harriss who has resigned for personal reasons after six years as president of the Disneyland Resort and 11 years of dedicated service to The Walt Disney Company.

Those of you who have worked with Matt know that he brings many outstanding qualities to this important and challenging new position, including the exceptional leadership skills, operational expertise and brand knowledge that have made Disney Cruise Line one of our strongest businesses.

Matt joined The Walt Disney Company in 1989 and has since excelled in a series of executive positions in finance and business development. In the past 14 years, Matt has served not only as president of Disney Cruise Line, but also as senior vice president and chief financial officer at the Disney Development Company; senior vice president of Finance and Business Development at the Walt Disney World Resort; and executive general manager of Disney Vacation Club and Disney's Wide World of Sports.

Matt has built Disney Cruise Line (DCL) into the country's premier family cruise operator and one of our most promising new businesses. His continued focus on the quality of the guest experience at DCL has resulted in the highest guest satisfaction ratings of any line of business in the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts portfolio.

Active in Florida's business community, Matt serves as the chairman of the Florida Chamber of Commerce and on the Board of Directors for the International Council of Cruise Lines and the Floridian Caribbean Cruise Association. Matt is a graduate of Binghamton University and a native of upstate New York.

Matt will be succeeded by Karl Holz, senior vice president for Walt Disney World Operations, who is promoted, effective immediately, to president of the Disney Cruise Line, reporting to Al Weiss.

Like Matt, Karl brings a diverse background and unique combination of leadership abilities, and operational expertise to his new role.

Karl began his career at the Walt Disney World Resort in 1996 as vice president, Downtown Disney, where he oversaw the successful expansion and renovation of this popular retail, dining and entertainment district. In 2000, he became vice president of Epcot, and in 2001, was promoted to senior vice president of operations for the Walt Disney World Resort. Most recently, Karl worked closely with Alice Norsworthy to guide the development of the new Magical Gatherings business at the Walt Disney World Resort, which was launched publicly just last week.

Prior to joining the Walt Disney World Resort, Karl was president and COO of Sky Chefs/Concession Air from 1989-1992 and vice president, theme parks for Knott's Berry Farm from 1992-1996. Karl earned a B.S. in Business Administration from The State University of New York, Fredonia.

One of our company's greatest strengths is the incredible depth of our leadership. Matt and Karl epitomize the record of accomplishment, commitment to excellence and broad range of talents at every level of our world-class management team.

I am delighted that Matt and Karl will be contributing in new ways to the success of our business, as we continue positioning all of our assets to seize the recovery when the economy rebounds and consumer confidence returns.

I hope you will join me in wishing both of them every success as they begin their new roles.

This is from the Wall Street Journal's website today:

Disney Shuffles Management
At Its Theme-Park Operation

By BRUCE ORWALL
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Walt Disney Co.'s struggling theme-park unit underwent a management shakeup Tuesday with the resignation of Cynthia Harriss as president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif.

The departure of Ms. Harriss marks the first major change in Disney's theme-park management since Jay Rasulo took over as president of Disney's parks and resorts unit last year. Disney said Ms. Harriss, 51 years old, resigned for personal reasons and will be succeeded by Matt Ouimet, 45, president of Disney Cruise Line and a veteran executive at the company. Disney said Ms. Harriss wasn't available for comment.

The moves come at a crucial time for both Disneyland and Disney's parks unit. All of Disney's theme parks have been mired in a deep slump that is largely the result of the travel downturn after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the broader economic downturn. The Disneyland Resort -- which includes the flagship Disneyland and the new California Adventure park -- hasn't been immune to the struggles.

The main problem there has been Disney's inability to get much traction for California Adventure, which has been a big disappointment since its 2001 opening. Disney has set about trying to fix California Adventure by adding new attractions, most notably next year's opening of "Tower of Terror," a version of an existing ride at the Disney-MGM Studios park in Orlando, Fla.

But the management change in Anaheim also comes as the company is planning a giant 18-month blitz that will coincide with the 2005 commemoration of Disneyland's 50th anniversary. Disney will attempt to turn that moment into a marketing opportunity for all of its parks around the world by pitching it as a celebration of what Mr. Rasulo recently called "the creation of the theme-park industry as a whole." Mr. Rasulo said Tuesday that Mr. Ouimet has been involved in that event's planning to date, and he expects the change in leadership will not be a disruption.

In the meantime, preparations for the 50th anniversary at Disneyland are presenting some operational challenges, as a key attraction, Space Mountain, is currently closed for an overhaul. Another big ride, the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, is closed indefinitely in the wake of a September accident that resulted in one fatality.

With Mr. Ouimet taking over in Anaheim, Disney named Karl Holz, 52, senior vice president of Walt Disney World operations, as the new president of Disney Cruise Line.

Originally posted by thedscoop
The only thing that surprises me about this is that he would agree to go to such an abyss.

My fear is that Disney is going to waste a very talented guy on an impossible project.

Geez, Scoop, the way you make it sound they should just shut the whole place down. Like it's not even worth it to be open. :(

I don't know why anyone would get happy that she has quit. It doesn't matter who is running the resort, as long as ME is there I am quessing that nothing spectacular will happen to this park. There is not going to be a surge of painting or maintaining of the park, and we definately will never see anything happen in tomorrowland like we should, just because this new guy still has Mickey butter on the cruise ship.

Cristen

My fear is that Disney is going to waste a very talented guy on an impossible project.

It doesn't matter who is running the resort, as long as ME is there I am quessing that nothing spectacular will happen to this park.

Until some evidence to the contrary shows up, both quotes seem to be the most logical conclusions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter