Dimensions of Hand Luggage - Help!

Janine1983

Mouseketeer
I bought a fantastic hand luggage bag at the bargain price of £9. Really pleased with it. As this is the first time we're going abroad with my ds who's 2. Ive gotta pack loads of snacks toys etc to keep him going on the long journey so saw this bag and loved it :love:

Anway, it wasnt till id bought it that I thought it may be too big!!

Its Dimensions are 35 x 18 x 45.5cm

I looked on the Virgin Holidays website and on there it says that hand luggage should not exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm.

If I swopped the numbers round it would fit. But is this still acceptable? :confused3 Can you see my dilema?? I dont want to get to Gatwick and them say no!:scared1:

Ive emailed VH and they said i need to check the VIrgin Atlantic site, I have but cant find any dimensions on there about this...unless im completely missing it???:confused:

Can anyone help me?

Thanks xx

I don't know about at your airport but at Glasgow there's a "how big is your hand luggage" thing that's basically a basket-type thing and if your luggage fits in that space then it's fine, otherwise no. Not sure what they'd do if it wasn't though :confused3

We have been with Virgin from Manchester on 4 return journeys and never once have they weighed or sized up the hand luggage, the weight requirement is 6 kg. I always try to adhere to the guidelines. The main thing is for the luggage to fit in the overhead locker or under the seat in front of you. When measuring up my luggage I just ensure that it measures the stated measurements but in any order. I would have thought your hand luggage would be fine. It also says on the website that the main luggage has to measure and 3 figures are given but also says the total has to be no greater than the measurements added up. I think this would also apply to your hand luggage. Your greater problem is the weight.

I would also say the first time we went to Orlando I took absolutely stacks of stuff for my sons who were then 5 and 7. They hardly used any of it. I would be very selective of what you do take. My bro and sil have just taken their 4 year old and nearly 2 year old daughters to Austria via a plane. They bought a dvd player and just had loads of dvds the kids liked to watch. The youngest watched but also slept a lot on the journey. Perhaps ask another question about entertaining young children on long flights.

Its Dimensions are 35 x 18 x 45.5cm

I looked on the Virgin Holidays website and on there it says that hand luggage should not exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm.

If I swopped the numbers round it would fit. But is this still acceptable? :confused3 Can you see my dilema?? I dont want to get to Gatwick and them say no!:scared1:

That should be fine. Just tip the bag on its side and it will fit the measurements. It doesn't have to be 56cm long, it could be 56cm wide, as long as it was 23cm deep and only 36cm long. As long as all the dimensions of your case lower or equal to those stated on the Virgin Atlantic site, then you are fine. If it still doesn't make sense, draw yourself a little diagram of your luggage, then turn the page 90 degrees - it will fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter