Dilemma on what to do before breakfast

Tonberry

DIS Veteran
We (me, wife , DD8, DS4) are doing rope drop at the MK for 9:00 am this December. We have breakfast reservations at the Crystal Palace for 9:25.
Does anyone think we have time to squeak in a quick ride or make a fast pass reservation (A&E for example) before we hit the CP?

I don't want to cut it too close and miss our ADR, yet I don't want to arrive early and stand around for a while when we could be out doing stuff when the park is fairly empty.

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions?

I doubt you would have time for A&E even with a FP+. You don't want to rush through that anyway.

If you are at the gate and one of the first people through the tunnel, you might have time for ONE ride. I would pick something close to CP, and not one of the headliners that everyone else is heading toward. You need to be finished and headed toward CP no later than 9:15.

I would do Peter Pan. Short ride (about 3 minutes) and it gets a crazy long wait later in the day. If you tried to do Seven Dwarves Mine Train, and you don't hit rope drop early enough, you could end up in a long line. You could also hit Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (both relatively short rides with longer waits later on). Splash Mountain is actually kind of long, so that might make you late. Good luck!

Or, take that time to take some pictures on a near empty Main Street. If you head directly for Cinderella's castle you could probably get some good pictures then.

I would do Peter Pan. Short ride (about 3 minutes) and it gets a crazy long wait later in the day. If you tried to do Seven Dwarves Mine Train, and you don't hit rope drop early enough, you could end up in a long line. You could also hit Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (both relatively short rides with longer waits later on). Splash Mountain is actually kind of long, so that might make you late. Good luck!

But all of these will depend on where OP is at rope drop. They have to be right at one of the tunnels leading in and at the front of the pack. If they're in the courtyard area watching the opening show, they'll never get to and through one of those and back to CP in time.

I agree with Sharonabe. IF you are right at the entrance to the tunnel when they open the park you have a chance for something close by, like Peter Pan. That would mean getting through the turnstiles somewhere around 8:00-8:15. Otherwise there will be too many people ahead of you, Main Street will be jammed with people on their way to the hub, and by the time you get to a ride there will be a line. You'll need to play it by ear.

Dont use a FP this early, as lines will be shorter that early. Jungle Cruise or Pirate may be a good choice since you wont have far to trek back to CP

You probably have time for one ride - not SDMT, but a less sought after one.

However, I would go ahead and check in at CP when you get into the park. We had an 8:05 ADR there once, and it took SO long for them to call our name after we checked in. It was kind of a mob scene.

When in December are you going? During mid Dec on, it is usual for the MK AM hours to be extended earlier. I would not be surprised to see 8 AM Rope Drop and even 7 AM Rope Drop Christmas week. Plus you say the park will not be crowded at a 9 AM Rope Drop. I disagree with that. It will be busy.
Good Luck

If you don't get in until 9:00am...........I don't see a way to get to a ride...........and then back to CP before 9:25am. You may want to see if you can move your ADR to an earlier/later time. Now if you get in to MK around 8:45 or earlier you may be able to do PPF or the carousel............

Best of luck and have a great trip.

Doug :goofy:

I would stop in to see Mickey or Tinkerbell next to Tony's. Pick up some Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards and do the Main St. adventure. Or take a firetruck or horse drawn carriage ride up Main St. Or, just saunter down Main Street and take it all in.

We had an 8:30 KTTK tour on a 8 AM opening day. We got there right at RD and went to Town Square and met Mickey. It worked out great because most people don't rush right to Mickey at opening and it was right there near where we needed to be without sending us deep into the park just to have to back track.

I would stop in to see Mickey or Tinkerbell next to Tony's. Pick up some Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards and do the Main St. adventure. Or take a firetruck or horse drawn carriage ride up Main St. Or, just saunter down Main Street and take it all in.

The Main St Vehicles don't usually come out and start up the street until about 9:15 or 9:20, so that will be too late for OP's ADR.

Stopping to see Mickey or Tinkerbell sounds like a great idea!

I second Peter Pan. We did just this in June. We were the first one on Pan because everyone else was running for A&E.

I agree with a couple of the PP to meet Mickey or Tink! (Tink was awesome - we just met her last week and I have all boys :lovestruc)

I'd do that or casually stroll through some of the cool shops on Main Street on your way up to CP. I know the small crowds make it tempting to sneak in a ride, but ultimately I think it'd be nicer to take it easy and relax on your way up to breakfast rather then rush to a ride and rush back to CP.

Thanks for everyone's replies! I guess I'll see where I am in line. If I'm near the front, I'll head to Peter Pan. If not, then we'll get some pictures with Mickey and/or Tink, stroll though a shop or two.
BTW, we are going the first week of December. I wanted to change our CP ADR, but everything is full as of now.
Would anyone suggest moving the ADR to an earlier time or a later time?

Thanks for everyone's replies! I guess I'll see where I am in line. If I'm near the front, I'll head to Peter Pan. If not, then we'll get some pictures with Mickey and/or Tink, stroll though a shop or two.
BTW, we are going the first week of December. I wanted to change our CP ADR, but everything is full as of now.
Would anyone suggest moving the ADR to an earlier time or a later time?

If you can get a pre-opening ADR, that might be your best bet, but it depends on your family and whether you can get everyone up and out to make it. It would need to be around 8 am, so you're finished by the time the park opens.

If you can grab a cereal bar or something in your room before you head out to tide you over, then a 10:30-10:45 ADR would be better than the 9:25 as it would give you more of the first few hours low crowd touring time.

If you can get a pre-opening ADR, that might be your best bet, but it depends on your family and whether you can get everyone up and out to make it. It would need to be around 8 am, so you're finished by the time the park opens.

If you can grab a cereal bar or something in your room before you head out to tide you over, then a 10:30-10:45 ADR would be better than the 9:25 as it would give you more of the first few hours low crowd touring time.

This is what we usually do when we visit AK - snack in room, get to AK for rope drop and do Kilimanjaro Safari and/or one more thing, then "brunch" at Tusker house around 10:30-10:45.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter