Dignified Graduation vs. proud parents

This argument has been going on for 15 or so pages and no one has mentioned a high school graduation ceremony where 'hold your applause' actually worked. If the 'problem' is so prevalent then it would make a whole lot more sense to explore the other options and actually find something that works rather than just judge and complain.

Cattle prods? The thing is that there are always going to be rude people who think the world is only about them. They are the "flashers" on disney dark rides, the cheaters on tests, the rent a disabled person for a gac kind of people. Just because people don't respect rules doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.

In her case it works at her school. Albeit by pushing out a principal who disagreed. Fine. I doubt she would be happy if she didn't hear her sons name because of raucous behavior from the family before. But maybe she is much more laid back than I am. While it was suggested I stay home if I don't like rude people the irony is that I just want to do what I came for. Hear my kids name and see him walk across a busy little stage.

It's been a few years. Most people at my kids' graduations were respectful and kept quiet. Our children would have been embarassed if we caused any kind of scene.

Yep!!! My daughter would have NOT been pleased if I had done that. Actually.....what happens here is they end up the only one clapping and then they realize "oops...I guess I should have followed directions" and it pretty much only happens with that first group -- then the rest of us turn and look at them like with a "really? you can't follow simple directions?" type of look. Usually after that...no more clapping until the end. :lmao: Sometimes peer pressure is a GOOD thing.

It can make the event go on forever if everyone claps after every kid. Basically at the end of the ceremony, our Principal tells the audience NOW you can cheer -- and then it is a big thunderous applause, hollering, woo hoo, type of thing that lasts several minutes (I believe the graduates got a standing ovation).

Cattle prods? The thing is that there are always going to be rude people who think the world is only about them. They are the "flashers" on disney dark rides, the cheaters on tests, the rent a disabled person for a gac kind of people. Just because people don't respect rules doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.

In her case it works at her school. Albeit by pushing out a principal who disagreed. Fine. I doubt she would be happy if she didn't hear her sons name because of raucous behavior from the family before. But maybe she is much more laid back than I am. While it was suggested I stay home if I don't like rude people the irony is that I just want to do what I came for. Hear my kids name and see him walk across a busy little stage.

I don't have the energy you all do to go back and forth on this. I understand that you think people should obey the 'hold your applause' rule if one is stated. I understand that you think that is how graduations are supposed to be.

The point I'm trying to make is that the decision whether or not to have that rule should include input from the graduates. Do they want a solemn ceremony or do they want to be there a little longer and extra time padded in? Yes, there is always the likelihood someone will break a rule but I'd bet that "the graduates have requested that..." would go a lot further than "the administration says...". Everyone would know what to expect ahead of time, as well.

The point LuvsJack is trying to make is that in their school that balance has been met between respect and joy to most people's satisfaction.

I'm surprised there are so many schools where you can't hear announcements over the cheering? I've attended graduation ceremonies in football stadiums, theaters, auditoriums, civic centers etc and you could always hear whoever was on the microphone.

You can hear announcers at sporting events and people on stage at concerts, screaming and yelling is crazy at those events. Do these schools just not have adequate sound systems? It just seems like the problem of not hearing a name could be solved at some schools with a fundraiser for a new sound system.

I'm surprised there are so many schools where you can't hear announcements over the cheering? I've attended graduation ceremonies in football stadiums, theaters, auditoriums, civic centers etc and you could always hear whoever was on the microphone.

You can hear announcers at sporting events and people on stage at concerts, screaming and yelling is crazy at those events. Do these schools just not have adequate sound systems? It just seems like the problem of not hearing a name could be solved at some schools with a fundraiser for a new sound system.

In the auditoriums I have been in, to turn it up so you could hear it over the screaming would mean having your ears blown out.

All luvsjack is trying to say is that there are other options. The fact that other options have been employed successfully by others in no way impedes upon your right to believe that anyone making a peep at a traditional graduation is trashy beyond redemption.

If the organizers haven't sought the input of the people the ceremony is for (the graduates and their parents) and have just assumed everyone wants funereal decorum then they, too, have been rude.

Other options work. The entire world isn't a sourpuss or a psychopath. Some people can politely applaud or even give a little cheer within a short time frame and without going full World Cup. Some people can appreciate that others express themselves differently and not get their panties in a twist because everyone doesn't like things the same way they do.

This argument has been going on for 15 or so pages and no one has mentioned a high school graduation ceremony where 'hold your applause' actually worked. If the 'problem' is so prevalent then it would make a whole lot more sense to explore the other options and actually find something that works rather than just judge and complain.

If people have an issue with being asked to wait until the end to cheer, they should take it up with the administration either before or after the ceremony. That's the adult thing to do unlike ignoring the request.

If people have an issue with being asked to wait until the end to cheer, they should take it up with the administration either before or after the ceremony. That's the adult thing to do unlike ignoring the request.

ok, we can go with judging and complaining :)

Was I happy and thrilled for my dd when she graduated last year? Of course I was...every parent is. But, seriously? Was your child's actually graduating in such question that you are that happy that it happened? They truly haven't done anything 'that' wonderful. They spent the mandatory time in school...yes, some did better than others, but that's real life. They spent the requisite time in classes. Now, after 12 years, they cross a stage, in a special robe, and get a diploma.
I get the pride and all. But in all reality? It's exactly what is expected of them. This is almost the same thing as every kid has to get a trophy or a special award just for participating.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:I couldn't agree more.:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Agreed....and at some point, the administration needs to take into consideration the desires of its community. It seems that many communities desire a more relaxed ceremony where appropriate cheering and applauding is allowed. It just seems that many schools are setting themselves up for frustration/failure by trying to enforce a request that continually goes ignored.

Agreed....and at some point, the administration needs to take into consideration the desires of its community. It seems that many communities desire a more relaxed ceremony where appropriate cheering and applauding is allowed. It just seems that many schools are setting themselves up for frustration/failure by trying to enforce a request that continually goes ignored.

It seems as if you are saying that the noisy people should get their way because they aren't going to respect the rules anyway. That is pretty sad. Unless an actual poll was taken it is pretty unlikely that a true representation would be found.

There are some other considerations beside the wishes of students/parents. Paying for the venue and staff for twice as much time is a biggie. In our district, the school board and the mucky mucks go to four graduations in three days. If they all added an extra hour or so of time, it would be problematic. We all also share one venue, which is also in high demand by the community, so times would become an issue.

What might work great for some schools or districts doesn't work for everyone. It's not as simple as leaving it up to a majority vote.

There are some other considerations beside the wishes of students/parents. Paying for the venue and staff for twice as much time is a biggie. In our district, the school board and the mucky mucks go to four graduations in three days. If they all added an extra hour or so of time, it would be problematic. We all also share one venue, which is also in high demand by the community, so times would become an issue.

What might work great for some schools or districts doesn't work for everyone. It's not as simple as leaving it up to a majority vote.

Valid points:) I was only looking at it from one angle.

Granny square said:
It seems as if you are saying that the noisy people should get their way because they aren't going to respect the rules anyway. That is pretty sad. Unless an actual poll was taken it is pretty unlikely that a true representation would be found.

if only a few families or grads are noisy then the administration perhaps can figure out a better way to enforce. And that may be what needs to happen in the op's school.

Otoh when the vast majority chooses to be able to cheer then it would be fruitless to continue fighting a losing battle. Our school chooses a more laid back atmosphere.

I agree with the pp that it should be up to the graduates.

I am not saying noisy people should get their way. I am saying if schools find that they are fighting a losing battle then maybe it would benefit them to consider other options. Options that would allow for a successful yet enjoyable ceremony.

I love the way Jennasis pulled the pin, rolled the grenade into the room, then slowly backed away. :rotfl2:

I love the way Jennasis pulled the pin, rolled the grenade into the room, then slowly backed away. :rotfl2:

That just made me almost spit out my coffee... Everyone needs a laugh like that early in the morning..

After reading this thread, I was curious to see how things would play out at my son's graduation yesterday. No announcement was made to hold applause, etc. Some kids had loud prolonged cheering (and a few air horns thrown in) but most did not. It was a fairly small class of 200, names were read slowly and no one missed hearing their name called because of the vocal celebration of anyone else. It was held at an outside, albeit covered, venue so the noise dissipated quickly.

In other words, much ado about nothing in this case.

Oh - and it only lasted an hour :cheer2:

To be fair, I could have started a thread about saving a basket of kittens from a burning building and it would still have arguing and hurt feelings therein.

:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter