• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Digital photo package download... there has got to be a better way

CruiseGoon

Earning My Ears
Specifically, once I got home to download to photos, post cruise. Once we finished our Alaska cruise and got home, I had just barely over 200 photos in my digital package. Personally, I felt like we slacked on that number.😁 We missed several chances to get backdrop, character and there was barely any dinner photographers.

While doing the download at home, I discovered that I could download a maximum batch size of 25 photos. Otherwise, I would get a Wreck-it Ralph error message. And because each file name is assigned at the moment of download, I found that I would have to rename my already downloaded photos to avoid duplicating the file names and the downloader requesting to replace or skip the new photo file.

As a result, I spent a lot of time downloading my digital photo package and I was wondering if there is a better way to do it so I can get all the photos in one go?

Specifically, once I got home to download to photos, post cruise. Once we finished our Alaska cruise and got home, I had just barely over 200 photos in my digital package. Personally, I felt like we slacked on that number.😁 We missed several chances to get backdrop, character and there was barely any dinner photographers.

While doing the download at home, I discovered that I could download a maximum batch size of 25 photos. Otherwise, I would get a Wreck-it Ralph error message. And because each file name is assigned at the moment of download, I found that I would have to rename my already downloaded photos to avoid duplicating the file names and the downloader requesting to replace or skip the new photo file.

As a result, I spent a lot of time downloading my digital photo package and I was wondering if there is a better way to do it so I can get all the photos in one go?
Pretty sure there is a select all option but it wasn't immediately obvious. I definitely didn't download in batches of 25, as we had close to 300 pictures.

Pretty sure there is a select all option but it wasn't immediately obvious. I definitely didn't download in batches of 25, as we had close to 300 pictures.
Yep. That's the first thing that I tried. I get hit with an error message every time once it starts. That's why I had to resort to downloading the batches of 25.

Yep. That's the first thing that I tried. I get hit with an error message every time once it starts. That's why I had to resort to downloading the batches of 25.
Maybe try a different browser? Unfortunately my pictures from May have expired, so I can't test anything out for you.

My experience is from March 2022 but same, had to download in 25’s, though i didn’t have a file naming issue. I had 340 pics or something though! So painful.

I had the same problem and had to download in batches and rename files as well.

I also have this problem. Changing browsers doesn’t help. We had 400 photos on our Europe cruise last year and this process was super frustrating.

DCL has a notoriously glitchy site. I always find it works better for big jobs like this if I clear all my cookies first. It's so shocking that a company so large can't get better IT...

DCL has a notoriously glitchy site. I always find it works better for big jobs like this if I clear all my cookies first. It's so shocking that a company so large can't get better IT...
They CAN, there's just no financial incentive for them to do so.

I purchased a thumb drive on the ship with all our photos, that took care of any download issues.
Good to know…sounds like a huge headache trying to download as people explained. Which ship were you on and how much for the thumb drive?

I had the same problem and had to download in batches and rename files as well.
I think the file renaming happened to me when I had a batch of photos on a single calendar date that was over the 25 I could download. The automatic naming the download assigns, starts with the date, then ends with 1, 2, 3... Since I could only download 25 at a time, if there was a date of photos that was over that (ex. 45 photos on one day), then the next batch of 25 I'd start that was on the same date would start asking if I wanted to replace or skip the file download because I already had one with the same file name.

I was wondering if I was the only one who had this problem. Now it seems widespread and should be something to bring up with Shutters and DCL. If I buy another digital photo package, I'm going to have to remember to make an issue of it. Disney and their vendors should be made aware, so they can have a chance to improve an expensive service they are selling.

I purchased a thumb drive on the ship with all our photos, that took care of any download issues.
The last time we bought a package, Dec '21, we were given a thumb drive with all of our pictures, so I'd love to know how to get the package on that this Fall as well. And if you recall the cost, please let me know too? Thanks :)

Good to know…sounds like a huge headache trying to download as people explained. Which ship were you on and how much for the thumb drive?
We were on the Wish. I looked it up, and it was an additional $25.00 plus tax. I think it's only available onboard. You can ask any photographer about it and they will direct you where to go. I had to run down to the Photo store which was somewhere around the Grand Hall on the day of disembarkation to pick it up. They had it ready to go.

Last edited:
The last time we bought a package, Dec '21, we were given a thumb drive with all of our pictures, so I'd love to know how to get the package on that this Fall as well. And if you recall the cost, please let me know too? Thanks :)
Just read the post above.

would love more info on how the thumb drive works..
You purchase the thumb drive from Shutter's once you are on the ship. It's a separate purchase from the picture package. Pick it up the morning of disembarkation from Shutter's. It has all of your pictures on it from the trip. You can then plug and play directly into most digital frames or plug it in and download the pictures on to your computer. I even downloaded the pictures from my computer on to Prime Photos and use them as a screen saver on my FIreTV stick on the TV. It's really just a convenience thing for us, we like having a hard copy storage device with all the pics on it and We don't have to deal with frustrating download issues. We have a digital frame in our living room and we just plug in the thumb drive and push play.

You purchase the thumb drive from Shutter's once you are on the ship. It's a separate purchase from the picture package. Pick it up the morning of disembarkation from Shutter's. It has all of your pictures on it from the trip. You can then plug and play directly into most digital frames or plug it in and download the pictures on to your computer. I even downloaded the pictures from my computer on to Prime Photos and use them as a screen saver on my FIreTV stick on the TV. It's really just a convenience thing for us, we like having a hard copy storage device with all the pics on it and We don't have to deal with frustrating download issues. We have a digital frame in our living room and we just plug in the thumb drive and push play.
do you remember roughly how much it was?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter